Review of Jamo 606 and 718

Here are the drivers all basic Jamo speakers use (you'll probably recognise some of the faceplates, I can see the tweeter of the 606), note the fact that they are cheaper than even drivers made in India. I replaced a pair of blown Jamo drivers with those made by Peerless, and the latter sounded much cleaner and more precise than the originals.

Parts Express

Since they are factory buyouts, the stocks won't last so depending on when you click the link, there may be no results.

I have no idea what Jamo speaker model series uses these drivers. But I know that the R900 Reference Series, the C80 Series, the C60 Series, the C400 Series, the D7 Series, the S606 (S600 Studio Series), the S500 and S400 do not use these drivers.

These drivers must be something all together different. Maybe these drivers are used for their low end S700 Series and the D6 Series, only????

But those drivers are not the drivers Jamo uses for all their basic speakers. Even the tweeters are not what Jamo uses for the R900 Reference Series, the C80 Series, the C60 Series, the C400 Series, the D7 Series, the S606 (S600 Studio Series). The tweeters in your link are completely different. Not even close.

As I have mentioned many times before, speakers are a very personal choice. The auditions/reviews that you read here and in magazines are only pointers to where you should go. But, at the end always let your ears decide.

A lot of us (including me:)) like the Wharfedales. There are others who do not like it at all. So please do audition it before buying it.

Cheers

I agree. Always the best advice. Audition and listen for yourself. If possible try to work a deal out with your dealer, for him to let you audition speakers in your home, with your components and in your room. It's the only way to truely know how a pair of speakers will sound in your own home.

Unfortunately auditions at a majority of dealer's stores, are almost worthless and pointless. So many of these dealers have terrible setups, terrible room acoustics and have dozens of pieces of gear jammed into one room. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

S606 sounded a little hazy to me... a bit like British sound. To me, it does not sound good with high frequency sounds.

This is getting weird.

By all accounts, from several people who have bought the S606 and set them up properly in their home; everyone I have talked to says the S606 are very smooth and clear. And now two people say they are "hazy" and "muddy".

I find this very odd. Is it possible Jamo is building a different S606, a S606 with different drivers for your part of the world? Different drivers for the USA version?

I really have to find a way to listen to these speakers. You guys really have stimulated my curiosity for the S606. I'm so very curious, now.

Thank you, Cranky.

I believe you're correct on much of what you said.

But I'm not talking about the waveguide/faceplate. The driver baskets are different and so is the tweeter's soft dome diaphragm. Even the color of the diaphragm is different.

The tweeter in the C80 Series, C60 Series and S606 that we get here in North America is an amber color. Not black.

the 606 renewed is the 608 I have heard both and the s708 and 718,

The 606 and 608 both sound muddy and no they do not use the same driver as the s4xx series. the 606 is good but its nowhere near as clear and harmonic as the s718, the 606/608 sound is not for those who like to be immersive in the music, if you like sound thats nicely ambient the 606 is ok but why pay that much for non immersive sound. s708/718.. good budget speakers..

Last edited:
The S606 has the waveguide but their basic cloth dome tweeter carried over from the S4xx series, IIRC. Which is essentially a new faceplate on the tweeter you see here.

Unless there has been an update in the last few months (I last saw the 606 in June).

And yes, regional markets get different products from continental USA, even with some larger manufacturers. The voicong, drivers and maybe even the generations may be different. This is not true for all manufacturers, and largely depends on the distributor initiative or the manufacturer's policy - Jamo is distributed by the worst of the bunch.

And of course the higher-end Jamos do not use these drivers, and neither do the D7. I'm not sure about the C series, but the bigger woofer is from the E series for sure. In the earlier set of specials, there were some drivers that looked very much like the midranges that came with the E5 series.

My experience in the 30 seconds of the S606 was that there was a lot of bass and midrange, but top-end detail was totally lacking. It didn't sound very different from the Onkyo 3200 HTiB set up in the corner. The D830, on the other hand, was one of the most brilliant sounding speakers I've ever heard bar none. I figured that their high-end speakers are very good, but the moment they scale the price points downward to expand the market, they lose too much in the execution and concepts.

As usual, YMMV...

Yes. The D830 was a gem. :) I liked its elder brother too. The floorstander. I never liked any of the lower lines from Jamo. Very commercial sound and very low value for money.

Guys, i was doing some research on my jamo s718's because they were producing pretty incredible bass well below 40z ( I tried setting a cut off at 40hz and noticed it lost some body. ) Turns out my hunch was was right, the towers go down to 30hz according to this review

http://www.salonav.com/arch/2008/10/028-7raz.shtml

1199133200Photo_024.jpg

Dependence module Z on the frequency of Jamo S718

speaker%20grafs%20jamo_imp.jpg

System with a fairly steady, but low impedance - the nominal value of 3.2 ohms, it is minimal. It was designed for fans of loud music, and less resistance, the higher the sound pressure at the same output voltage of the amplifier. Noticeable distortion is not expected, since high-frequency output stage will operate in lightweight mode due to higher load resistance. In addition, its reactive component is minimal, that will favorably influence the dynamics.
Ported tuned to 35 Hz band are divided into complex filters with a center frequency of 2200 Hz.

speaker%20grafs%20jamo.jpg

Frequency Response
Jamo S718

Immediately note the high sensitivity acoustic - about 93 dB.
AFC somewhat unusual for Jamo - it is not so linear and has a pronounced rise at high frequencies. However, even with the bass at the S718's all right - LF driver with flared port work up to 30 Hz. Near the frequency section is a failure, which may affect the information content in the upper middle.
Columns better addressed directly to the listener, because the variances bumpers on the case cover the emission tweeter (red and green curves). In general, the pattern is rather broad, so the scene promises to be a clear and stable in space.

There may be some errors in the translation but from what I gather what venk said and what I also felt listening to the s718's, they can be broken down to

Lows : 2x30hz woofers ( I dont think im gonna bother investing in a sub cuz two of these are more than I need )

Lower mids : Rich and tight, was pretty amazed with how clearly delivered the texture of the frequencies were.

Mids : Good, very transparent depending on what amp you hook it to.

Upper mids : weak - I definitely noticed a slightly weak upper mid range but it wasnt absent, just weak but still present and clean.

Highs: nice and clear - I quite enjoy the clarity of the highs

I'll be putting up a detailed review of the jamo s718's later this month.

Last edited:
Hi corelement, How did you manage to cut off the frequency at 40Hz ??

My jamo amp lets me select sub crossovers which I normally had disabled since I dont use a sub. When I placed a crossover at 40hz which is stated to be the s718's lowest, instantly noticed the rich body of the the sound decreased. Removed the crossover and towers were rich and deep again.

4.jpg

The amp..

Last edited:
Hi All,

My friend in Hyd is trying to get rid of speakers he has no use for..Wharfedale, Jamos, Denons...etc .. I have bought them to my nephews home to try and listen and make an estimation on how much they are worth. All of these were bought in the 2005-2015 period from abroad.

of the speakers we got, is a pair of Jamo 606 with a subwoofer on the sides. Compared to all other speakers - these ones sound a bit muffled and may even have some wiring defect inside. Please help me in the following:

(a) I know its difficult to describe its current condition. But say we think of three scenarios. (i) can be used in current condition, but definitely needs to be opened and looked at for repairs (ii) can be used in current condition, doesn't need repairs but the sound is a bit muffled but usable (iii) is in typical good 606 condition, given in the above review it wasn't impressive in the first place.

Since it has some cosmetic issues as it was stowed away in a corner for more than ten years now - what can be prospective estimation range of its resale value for all of the above three conditions? I know its difficult to estimate based on this post..but just a rough estimate like say (i) 6-10K a pair (ii) 10-15K a pair or (iii) 15-20K a pair.

The reason I ask is that I promised him to take these over since he needs the money and has no use for the speakers at this stage of his life. Also if the market value of these are way higher than what I am willing to pay, am more than happy to sell it and give him the market value.

Also have the following questions
(a) Where in Hyd can I have someone listen to it and give an opinion if it needs repair and also where can it be repaired
(b) will someone be kind enough to drop in for a cup of tea and have a listen..not only of the jamo but other speakers as well...Its currently in the Malkajgiri area.

I will be happy to put in the classified section once I receive the required inputs.

many thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back