Reviving HTPC: Mobo, CPU, RAM

esanthosh

My 8-year-old Intel DQ965Gf motherboard died in Feb/Mar. Since then, I have been using Asus O Play Mini v2 as my player.

I miss my HTPC and want to revive it. I thought about Rasberry Pi etc., but then I have everything except the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Why not utilize what I already have?

I have these currently.

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG02 with Noctua case fans
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kozuti (Clearance available: 82 mm)
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W
Graphics Card: Zotac GT440 1GB DDR3
HDD: 2 TB WD Green, 2 TB Seagate Green
Boot Drive: 320GB 2.5" HDD or Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (if it's not an overkill)
Remote: Harmony 700 via RC6 receiver

Since I've not kept track of the PC world since I last built my PCs in 2010/11, I don't have much clue. But, I do know that I don't want to spend much, only what is necessary.

What should I buy?

I'd recommend you look at the AMD FM-2+ platform (A88X or XM chipset) for this because of its decent integrated graphics, USB 3.0 support and good value price.

I am just reviving my HTPC with the following:
Motherboard
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/asrock-motherboard/683654263732

Processor - available now
Amazon.in: Buy AMD A8-7600 Kaveri Quad-Core 3.1GHz Socket FM2+ 65W Desktop Processor Online at Low Prices in India | AMD Reviews & Ratings

Memory
GSKILL 8GB (4GB X 2) DDR3 2400MHZ TRIDENT X (F3-2400C10D-8GTX) DESKTOP MEMORY - Buy GSKILL 8GB (4GB X 2) DDR3 2400MHZ TRIDENT X (F3-2400C10D-8GTX) DESKTOP MEMORY Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Should work with your other stuff too.

Karan

@gp_freak,

I only checked the PSU and the Graphics Card. I could not check the CPU or the RAM because they were too old (None of my other configurations were LGA775-DDR2).

@Karan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will there be any issues with using nVidia cards in AMD motherboards? Is the onboard graphics good enough to make the Graphics card redundant?

The configuration suggested by you (Asus 88XM-A) is pretty good. But the components would cost 20,514 (Including shipping).

I searched a bit and arrived at two Intel-based configurations.

1. GIGABYTE H81M-S1 - Amazon.in: Buy GIGABYTE H81M-S1 Motherboard Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Ratings
  2. Intel G3220 C2D - Amazon.in: Buy Intel Pentium Processor G3220 3.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646G3220 Online at Low Prices in India | Intel Reviews & Ratings
  3. Kingston Fury 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 - Kingston FURY Memory - 8GB Kit* - DDR3 1600MHz CL10: Amazon.in: Electronics

The total comes to 11,849.00

The H81 motherboard has only two RAM sockets (and only up-to 1600 Mhz), {2 x SATA 6 Gbps and 2 x SATA 3 Gbps} and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Going for a Gigabyte B85M-DS3H would increase the total cost to 14,330. But, would give me 4 RAM sockets, {4 x SATA6 + 2 x SATA3} and an HDMI port as well.

If I intend to keep the HTPC going for another 3-4 years and my only upgrade would be a 4K (or 8K) Graphics Card with HDMI 2.0x (standard at that time) whenever I upgrade the whole HT chain, which one is better?

Spend a bit more for AMD? Stick with Intel? Any others?

Since I've not kept track of the PC world since I last built my PCs in 2010/11, I don't have much clue. But, I do know that I don't want to spend much, only what is necessary.

What should I buy?

All you need is below ...

1. Intel 3 GHz LGA 1155 G2030 Processor :: For around 4000
2. Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Motherboard :: You dont need HDMI out or inbuilt GFX since you already have a decent GPU for HTPC :: This is around 3500 (with USB 3)
3. Corsair DDR3 4 GB Value Select RAM :: for around 1600.

Total :: 9100 ... approx ..

You are too good to go with this config as far as HTPC goes, config might change a bit if you have other plans for the system as well apart from using it as an HTPC.

@ esanthosh , check in local store and if CPU and RAM are working , then all you need is a similar mobo and you are Done.

No fancy stuff for spending IMHO and it will work out a lot cheaper

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back