Revolutionary Road - scarily, eerily real

thevortex

Sometimes I wonder why we go and see horror movies. People often say that art is an escapist medium. Although the people who say this may not necessarily be artists themselves or even people who can lose themselves in appreciation of art, there is some truth to it. So what is it we are escaping from when we see horror movies? Maybe we are trying to see if there is something even more frightening than real life. Than reality itself. For what can be more frightening and horror inducing than the monotonous humdrum of daily life. Of routine. Of familiarity.

Yesterday I saw the movie 'Revolutionary Road'. And it scared me at more levels than I care to admit. For there was nothing make-believe in it at all. It was all very real. More than real. I could make deep connections with the theme of the movie and my personal life. And as many of you know, it is those kinds of art that appeal to you most - the ones that make a personal connection.

It is hard to judge as to who did better. Director Sam Mendes or the ever-vibrant Lenoardo DiCaprio or the almost ageless beauty Kate Winslet. Probably the highest praise I can offer to the movie is that I saw it as a vignette, a slice of real life. And the possibilities it broached were very real. So real that I fear that may come to pass.

The movie concerns itself with a young couple (with 2 young kids) who think that they are wonderful people, a bit better than the average individuals they see around them. But in reality they have the same job, the same privileges, the same small but neat home and the same week long struggle in a job that does not appeal to them. This is more true for the man in the movie - Leonardo. Kate Winslet strikes upon an idea to change things. To move to Europe - to Paris - where she would get a secretarial job and Lenoardo would get time to think about where really his passion lay and what he wanted to do with himself and his time. What happens after both of them agree to this plan is the movie.

On the face of it, there is nothing special about the theme. But so is real life. There is nothing special about it. I think this is where the director has outdone himself. In taking a commonplace subject and making it even more commonplace. So much so that viewers identify themselves in the movie stars, see them enacting scenes that they have experienced at home. In a word, it was a visceral experience. If I were to sum up the movie in a sentence - it portrays the epic struggle between romance and practicality at the micro level, with respect to a single couple, deeply in love with each other and their own ideals or what they believe as an ideal.

A must watch movie even if you are not a fan of slow moving romance movies. This will make my all time Top 10 movies. Dont ask me what the other movies are. I am still finding out. :)

Wow vortex, it's like you read my mind. I saw the movie last week and I had exactly the same thoughts. Couldn't have said it better.

I saw this movie too accidently - selected this by chance on a flight's movie menu. I was really impressed with the theme, inner message, portrayal of society. It is one of those movies which got me thinking. A different kind of movie - a must see. Leonardo, Kate and that neighbour's son(not sure what his name is that intense argument) have performed very well.

Last edited:
It was an intense movie alright. I am still recovering:). And today my wife has promised to see it. Cross fingers! Thanks everybody for the kind comments.

And psychotropic - how are the speakers coming along? Am eager to listen to the S520s.

speakers are doing well, last few days i've barely had the time to listen to any music due to work and other stuff. I can't really make out if the speakers have 'broken in' as yet, but I'd love to have you over some time soon. This weekend I am out of town, so perhaps one of the weekends in November we can make the plan, and i should call madbullram also as he was also mentioning that he wants to drop in.

speakers are doing well, last few days i've barely had the time to listen to any music due to work and other stuff. I can't really make out if the speakers have 'broken in' as yet, but I'd love to have you over some time soon. This weekend I am out of town, so perhaps one of the weekends in November we can make the plan, and i should call madbullram also as he was also mentioning that he wants to drop in.

That would be nice. I have also been wanting to meet madbullram. So, that would be perfect. Just let me know.

I had seen this movie few months back and had instantly fallen in love with it becoz its so ****ing real/ hard hitting (especailly every time the couple fights, they really tear each other apart). Really appreciated Sam Mendes after watching this movie, this hits harder than American Beauty. Remeber reading one of the review which said what would happen if Jack and Rose from Titanic got married and came to terms with life. Couldnt agree more.

Extremely intense movie. American Beauty was also too - but with a lot of relief through humour.

RR had a lot of impact on me since it did not even try to offer a sugar-coated make believe idealistic solution.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back