Right now I am listening to ...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

R-9187140-1477234674-1208.jpeg.jpg

Yesterday I was listening to two newer Hindi film albums - of movies that weren’t so popular. But their music, though both by relatively lesser known music directors - I liked.

One was Sagar Desai’s ‘Ankhon Dekhi’ (also a top notch philosophical movie I’d recommend to watch) and the other Ajay Singha’s ‘Paharganj’ (average movie).

38376535-7986-4C13-892E-2DDC73788648.jpeg

The track of Ankhon Dekhi doesn’t get as much critical acclaim as the movie itself. But there are some wonderful classically themed songs (Kaise Sujh Soyein by Ronkini Gupta for example) in this album full of soulful spiritual (not religious) songs - ‘Aaj Laagi Laagi Nayi Dhoop’ or ‘Yaad Saari Baari Baari’ sung by Kailash Kher. The entire album as a whole works well together and complements the film. If you’ve seen the film, you’d listen to the album and relive the feel of the film. That I consider an important quality of film compositions. A great music director like Madan Mohan (whose music I truly love to hear but I don’t rate him high as film music composer for this reason) failed at - you were always left wondering what his songs had to do with the film! But Sagar Desai, just like say Hridaynath Mangeshkar, recreates the entire feel of the movie for me through the film’s album.

0025E3FF-EE88-4BFC-8F5E-5BFD8D7603F3.jpegPaharganj is not of the same quality as Ankhon Dekhi, but still musically rich and far better than the average film music that is made these days. The title track is racy. And there is another peppy number by Shalmali Kholgade ‘Beqaraar Dil’ that is enjoyable. But then there’s a soulful number by Kavita Seth’ that is highly immersive. Also there’s a typical Mohit Chauhan romantic track ‘Kyun Mera’. But most importantly, an audiophile must listen to ‘Paharganj’ album because it is recorded so well - richness of instruments and wide soundstage with sound that feels natural yet energetic.

Here are couple of videos on YouTube for you of tracks from these two films:

Last edited by a moderator:
1585576397978.jpegCarnatic Vocalist and composer Sreevalsan Menon brings a fresh take on classical music with this album, celebrating the changing seasons. While it maintains the timeless quality of classical music, there is a distinctive modern touch to the tracks. Carefully chosen lyrics range from Rabindranath Tagore and Meera Bai to Purandaradasa and Muthuswami Deekshithar.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back