Right Speakers for Marantz PM6004

noking

Hi Friends,
Request your kind suggestions for Bookshelf Speakers for Marantz Pm6004
i have narrowed my choice to Wharfdale 10.1 or 10.2 or Diamond 210.
Diamond 210 is my choice purely for Budget reasons.
I play mostly Rock,Ballads,Soft Rock,Ghazals and Hindi Film Music.
The source will be a FIIO X5 and all music is Flac and most of it HI-Res audio with sample rates of 96kHz/24bit and 192kHz/24 bit.
This combination will be used mostly for Music.
any other bookshelf speaker recommendation will also be appreciated.
looking forward to your expert valuable inputs and suggestions.

In case possible, you must audition Monitor Audio MR2 (approx. 20K). Excellent value for money.

Recently I auditioned many speakers for my Marantz PM5004, including PSB B6, Dali Lector 1, Tannoy V1i, Wharfedale 121, Boston Acoustics A26 and finally decided on MR2 for its open and full body sound.

Regards,
Vinay

Music preferences and related interpretations are not unanimous amongst users hence your listening preference will be the deciding factor here! My suggestions for book shelf speakers would be: Boston Acoustics A26, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Q acoustics 2020i, Dali Zensor 1. This list can go on and on but ultimately you will have to listen and decide for yourself. Happy shopping, cheers!

Music preferences and related interpretations are not unanimous amongst users hence your listening preference will be the deciding factor here! My suggestions for book shelf speakers would be: Boston Acoustics A26, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Q acoustics 2020i, Dali Zensor 1. This list can go on and on but ultimately you will have to listen and decide for yourself. Happy shopping, cheers!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are absolutely right. I recently bought Marantz PM6004. Despite negative reviews, I decided to pair it with Polk TSx330T, thus, I bought. Polk for 27K. Result is marvelous. Besides other genres, I listen to lot of EDM/Trance, so throbbing beat is needed and my Polk plays it with elan. Highs are great too though, mids are not that great but little bit tweaking improves the mids

Last edited:
List could be unlimited one sir...let me add another one KEF Q300 Heard it loved it...

Better you go for an audition with your own tracks and decide.

List could be unlimited one sir...let me add another one KEF Q300 Heard it loved it...

Better you go for an audition with your own tracks and decide.

I agree with Max here, Q300 are really good speakers, slightly out of your budget perhaps. I will add Usher S520 to the list too.
Again like others have said you will have plenty of suggestions, to decide you must listen to as many as possible before you purchase any. This is the most important factor in your decision making, listen to the options for yourself.

when you audition speakers,try it with the same amp you own.i own two amps marantz pm6004 and cyrus 6vs2.both tonally different from the other.i am useing epos m5i speakers.a good match for marantz 6004

when you audition speakers,try it with the same amp you own.i own two amps marantz pm6004 and cyrus 6vs2.both tonally different from the other.i am useing epos m5i speakers.a good match for marantz 6004

Good advice. Also, audition with the same tracks in different speakers then only you will be able to differentiate and decide, because otherwise every dealer will try to provide the audition with their best matching amp and audio tracks.

Hi noking,

As long as you stick with the general guidelines of choosing a speaker for an amp, there's no right or wrong choice!
It's just a matter of listener preference and room acoustics that makes it sound great or not so great.

First thing first, set your budget and stick to your budget.
If you don't do it, you'll always find something somewhere better.....and it's never ending!
From what I understood from your post is that you've set the budget and also narrow down the choice of speakers.
It seems you likes the sound characteristics of Wharfedale 10.1,10.2....
Make sure you do enough audition with one to one comparison all in one place if possible.
Your decision will be the best for you!

That's what I did and I'm pretty much happy about my decision too.

Let me ask you noking, what about Diamond 121 & 122 from Wharfedale as they are improved models of Diamond 10.1 &10.2!
Have you listened to them already and compared to the old ones?
I hope all these are in the same price range.

The reason for asking is that just recently I've got the chance of auditioning these speakers multiple times while shopping for a brand new one.

Ive really liked the sound of 10.1 & 10.2s.
It has got great base even in medium sized rooms and can create a dark background for musics which is great for certain genres like Soul, classical instrumental, Ghazals etc. Some may call it as laid-back sound.
But while comparing with certain other brands in the price range, it lacked the sparkle or detail presentation needed for certain other music genres.

But later when I've listened to the 121 & 122s, i was surprised to hear a very balanced sound but still keeping the good qualities of 10.1 &10.2s.
It still reproduced great base regardless of speaker position (redesigned base port at the bottom instead of rear port) and retrieved much more details from the music (redesigned crossover & drivers).
So in my personal opinion 121 &122 are more balanced speakers than 10.1 &10.2s.
But again, 121 & 122s are not the last word in producing detailed sound in the budget either. But if you already like Wharfedale sound characteristics, these two speakers are worth buying.
Again, one more thing which I've experienced......if your room is too small or something (eg bedroom) these speakers (10.2/122) tends to get little bit base heavy or muddy at moderate to high volume. In that case, wise option is to go for smaller ones (10.1/121).

Auditions done with Marantz PM6004/PM6005.

Last edited:
Thanks to all my friends at forum for there kind and valuable suggestions.. Have brought a 10.2 after audition of 121 /10.1 and 10.2 liked 10.2 most and played many of my stuff on a marantz 6004 liked the overall sound quality of 10.2.
Thanks again for all your valuable time and suggestions.
Regards

Congratulations noking....
You can buy either one if you don't need to pull too long.
If you need longer layout, go for either 12 or 14 AWG or similar ones and terminate using banana plugs.
I'm not sure about Dac brand, someone else in the forum might be able to tell you about it.
Cables from Chord, QED, Ven den Hul, Supra are all using good quality copper
and some of them are priced quite reasonably.

Which one? It depends on your budget and you can't go wrong with any of these brands.
Also look for the physical characteristics of the cable....some are very flexible while some others aren't.

Me, I don't spend too much for speaker cables for a mid level setup like mine.
I'll keep the overall cost of speaker cables less than 10% of my system budget as a guideline.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back