RIP Shure Cartridges....

Looks like Chinese manufacturers have impacted phono cartridge business of Shure. But no need of hoarding, as Jico will be making the stylus. How is the Jico SAS quality.

Another significant moment in audio history. I've grown up listening to Shure carts and have always used Shure carts. A fan for life.

One never knows, like the re-birth of the Technics SL1200, they may appear again :)

it's not a very encouraging sign for analogue when a budget manufacturer of components folds up, isn't it???

Maybe we are a dying breed too?

Jico may be an alternative to Shure stylii. However, I have never experienced a Jico and am not sure how does it measure against Shure. Price wise it is expensive as well.

My primary (& only cart) is the Shure M44-7 and I noticed a few days ago that how the online sellers have jacked up the prices of this cart along with other shure carts. Same for the stylii. The cart is listed for anything between 13-15K and the stylus is 6K which is honestly a lot of money for the stuff!

What have you guys planned for the replacement for your Shure stylus?

Thanks!
Saket.

Shame they were one of the best Cartridge makers. Somewhat surprising since Vinyl is making a comeback.

Suppose they want to focus on Headphones now maybe.

Exactly my thoughts. Vinyls are back in vogue and stand much better in terms of generating revenue for related companies when compared to the situation a few years ago. Wonder if they survived that stage, what holds them back now. Probably they want to put in the resources to products which offer more volume and are more 'mass market.' However, wish that they do a 'Technics' again and start manufacturing carts/ stylii again.

All those who exited, came back...Technics, Garrard to name a few. Shure has too much of a legacy and following, to stay out for long. Lets hope for the best.

When Shure cartridges were available in plenty, many users did not consider it hi-end except for a few models like V-15, 97 xe etc. Let me tell you that models like 91 ED, 95 EH , 75 ED were all excellent cartridges if they were loaded at a higher capacitance than 47 K ohms. I have mentioned this in some postings on this forum earlier. One of the major problems I have been facing with the Shure cartridges is that if it is not used for a long period, one channel stops working. There is no way to rectify this. If anyone knows if this can be rectified, please share in the forum. Most of the vintage turntables that I buy comes with Shure cartridge but unfortunately, the stylus will be either broken or worn out. Getting replacement stylus is not easy and Jicco sas stylus is much too expensive these days. I wish there is a way to get generic stylus of other manufacturers at reasonable quality and price

" One of the major problems I have been facing with the Shure cartridges is that if it is not used for a long period "
I have three M97Ex in sealed pack.
I have kept them for my future use.
Do you feel ,they will loose one channel?:oops:

" One of the major problems I have been facing with the Shure cartridges is that if it is not used for a long period "
I have three M97Ex in sealed pack.
I have kept them for my future use.
Do you feel ,they will loose one channel?:oops:
You should sell two to me so both channels work on the ONE you keep.;). Ya ya.. I know I don't own TT.

M44 is excellent for listening to Indian classical music as well as other Indian records. I feel it's not ideal to listen Jazz and English vocals. Just my opinion

Jacob ji , thank you. As you said, now we realize about the value of Shure carts after it disappeared from the market.

Regards.

M44 is excellent for listening to Indian classical music as well as other Indian records.

Agree the same. I love its flat and bit warm signature to listen old Tamil and Hindi film music. Another advantage of M44 is its high output which even works well with lesser gain Phonostages. M44G - 6.2mV and M44-E & M44-7 are 9.5mV ouput

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back