RME ADI 2 DAC Users Thread.

Yes, the 'Loud'ness feature is pretty addictive. Once you turn it on, its difficult to go back to normal provided the track is well recorded. On older tracks, Loud mode induces ear fatique. Im listenining through Ananda. I dont know if it is my ears or my setup , i am not able to perceive any Soundstage at all in my setup.

Using the Rme adi 2 dac with an old ifi I tube as a preamp
The dac was connected to a pc .
Sounded great with Audirvana

Planning to sell my RME DAC, if any one is interested please DM me. Selling this awesome DAC as moving to integrated system.

Not sure if any of you have used it yet, but the RME - ADI2 Remote for PC/MAC/iPad is a boon to RME users.

You do not NEED it, but you would WANT it.

You can do pretty much anything that the device menu allows you to do - directly from your Ipad/Mac.

Thanks!

Not sure if any of you have used it yet, but the RME - ADI2 Remote for PC/MAC/iPad is a boon to RME users.

You do not NEED it, but you would WANT it.

You can do pretty much anything that the device menu allows you to do - directly from your Ipad/Mac.

Thanks!
Likewise, I Came across it recently and it's made life so much easier since my primary source is a PC, especially adjusting and loading EQs, Filters etc.

Likewise, I Came across it recently and it's made life so much easier since my primary source is a PC, especially adjusting and loading EQs, Filters etc.
On that note - what filters have you experimented with & which ones you prefer in the long run?

I have been playing with the filters & I can't decide which one I prefer between Brickwall & SD Sharp. They both work in certain scenarios.

I have ordered the RME ADI-2 FS AD/DA converter. This was selected over the PRO FSbecause of the following reason
- I wanted to use the RME also as an analogue preamplifier which the PRO FS does not provide. The PRO FS does not have an analogue loop-in / loop-out feature.
- I do not need filter selection and am happy with the default filter.
- I do not need the 5 band PEQ or any DSP feature as I already have the 31+ 31 band dbx 231s GE for post EQ adjustments
- The PRO FS is 3 times the cost of only the FS

This device will arrive after 8 weeks and hope they will provide the upgrade I am looking for.

On that note - what filters have you experimented with & which ones you prefer in the long run?

I have been playing with the filters & I can't decide which one I prefer between Brickwall & SD Sharp. They both work in certain scenarios.
Depending on the loudspeaker, I usually shuttle between SD Sharp and NOS. To my ears, the SD Sharp adds a bit of thickness and spice to the sound whereas the NOS makes it sound more natural but also lumpier with certain loudspeakers. The difference between them is very subtle but enough to elevate a good experience to great upon selecting the appropriate filter.

Ideally, i should jot it down somewhere but i remember SD Sharp sounded better with the Deftech D9s and Mission SX-2 whereas NOS worked better with the ATC SCM11s andd DYnaudio Focus 160s.

I have ordered the RME ADI-2 FS AD/DA converter. This was selected over the PRO FSbecause of the following reason
- I wanted to use the RME also as an analogue preamplifier which the PRO FS does not provide. The PRO FS does not have an analogue loop-in / loop-out feature.
Hi Hari, the preamplifier on the ADI-2 FS is not fully analog i.e. it has 4 analog steps and any volume attenuation in between them happens in the digital domain.

Further, if I'm not hugely mistaken, the Pro FS also has a similar analog preamp but with one extra step taking it to a grand total of 5.
- I do not need filter selection and am happy with the default filter.
The default filter on the RME is SD Sharp. It offers a total of 6 filters.
- I do not need the 5 band PEQ
its essentially got a 7 band PEQ
or any DSP feature as I already have the 31+ 31 band dbx 231s GE for post EQ adjustments
Does the DBX 231 also do vairable loudness?
- The PRO FS is 3 times the cost of only the FS
you must mean the Pro FS is 30% more than the DAC FS.
This device will arrive after 8 weeks and hope they will provide the upgrade I am looking for.
What is the upgrade you are looking for and from what?

Hi Hari, the preamplifier on the ADI-2 FS is not fully analog i.e. it has 4 analog steps and any volume attenuation in between them happens in the digital domain.

Further, if I'm not hugely mistaken, the Pro FS also has a similar analog preamp but with one extra step taking it to a grand total of 5.

The default filter on the RME is SD Sharp. It offers a total of 6 filters.

its essentially got a 7 band PEQ

Does the DBX 231 also do vairable loudness?

you must mean the Pro FS is 30% more than the DAC FS.

What is the upgrade you are looking for and from what?
- The preamp in the PRO FS does only an A/D conversion. You cannot use that as a standalone analogue preamplifier with volume controls. The FS model has an digital by-pass and you can switch-off the D/A convertor in the Analogue mode. In this mode you can set the input level and also the output volume control is also available. In the DIG mode you can also adjust the output level fixed or a variable volume control
- The FS model does not allow filter selection like the PRO FS and DAC FS. Its a fixed SD sharp only.
- 7 band PEQ will be inadequate as i am having a 1/3rd octave band constant Q equalizer
- The 231s has a constant Q and does not have a dedicated loudness switch. You and adjust the output level from -12dB to +12dB. There is also a -6dB cut below 50Hz which is switchable
- i am comparing cost of FS with PRO FS where the difference in cost is huge
- currently i am not using any standalone DAC but using the inbuilt DAC in my Marantz BR player. This has a PCM1795 D/A convertor and an active LPF followed by its proprietary HDAM discrete buffer. Though this has served me well past + years, now its the right time to try something better and move on. Hoping this will be an upgrade and not a side-grade.

- The preamp in the PRO FS does only an A/D conversion. You cannot use that as a standalone analogue preamplifier with volume controls. The FS model has an digital by-pass and you can switch-off the D/A convertor in the Analogue mode. In this mode you can set the input level and also the output volume control is also available. In the DIG mode you can also adjust the output level fixed or a variable volume control
- The FS model does not allow filter selection like the PRO FS and DAC FS. Its a fixed SD sharp only.
- 7 band PEQ will be inadequate as i am having a 1/3rd octave band constant Q equalizer
- The 231s has a constant Q and does not have a dedicated loudness switch. You and adjust the output level from -12dB to +12dB. There is also a -6dB cut below 50Hz which is switchable
- i am comparing cost of FS with PRO FS where the difference in cost is huge
My bad Hari, though not entirely - i blame RME for their confusing naming scheme! I assumed you were referring to the ADI-2 "DAC" FS whereas you were talking about the ADI-2 FS simpliciter.
- currently i am not using any standalone DAC but using the inbuilt DAC in my Marantz BR player. This has a PCM1795 D/A convertor and an active LPF followed by its proprietary HDAM discrete buffer. Though this has served me well past + years, now its the right time to try something better and move on. Hoping this will be an upgrade and not a side-grade.
It'll provide a cleaner and clearer sound - whether that is an improvement is in the ears of the beholder.

One of the best hidden features of RME is that you can save Tidal Master tracks in full quality through the USB loop playback option. But you have to play each song from start to finish and save it gracefully.

Finally the RME ADI-2 FS AD/DA converter arrived and was installed yesterday after 3+ month of waiting. Initially listening impression was a bit edgy and fatigued and similar to my Marantz BR player. I have clocked 12+ hrs now on the RME - WOW - most of the break-in was without actual music listening.

After this initial warmup for two days, they now sound very warm and accurate. This converter needs atleast a 10-12 hrs break-in minimum. I played 8hrs yesterday and completed 4 hrs today with only music. Now started listening and this now is very satisfying. I am expecting much improvement over the month.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back