Rotel RB 1080

Go for the MPP505 for two reasons:

1) It is a dedicated stereo preamp of very good quality. I am sure this will go well with your Rotel 1080. But before buying any pre-amp, it is better to carry your power amp to the showroom and connect it to the pre-amp that you are interested and check the sound quality. Generally in any showroom they will not say 'no' for this. End of the day, the buyer has all the right to get satisfied before buying a product :)

2) You can use the 7001 elsewhere as a second setup. May be in the bedroom, living room or so.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Abhijeet,
Why are u against a Rotel Preamp? Because some of them( RC 1070) have few negative reviews? Since u have the RB 1080 the perfect handshake would only be a Rotel pre or if u have the budget a higher end preamp. I am in no way saying that the Rotel Pre s are great but IMO the RC 1082 is pretty decent and good VFM if bought abroad.

Please dont match it with a Nad or similar.

I had the RB 1080 for quite a while and also owned the RC 1070/RC 1082/ Nad C160 and the Rotels worked well with each other. Just before i sold the combo i tried the power amp with the Bryston BP 16 preamp and the much cheaper rotel pre sounded better. One is tweaked to match the other and its always safer to go for a pre/power of the same brand.

BTW do u have a dedicated 15 amp circuit? The Rotel power amp has no soft start and may cause the line to trip on power up.
Regards

Last edited:
rotel are one of those amplifiers that required to be paired very carefully. like hifipal suggested, take the 1080 with you and check how it matches with various pre amps. when you tried the rotel pre what was the rest of the setup. perhaps it didnt match with the speakers. also make sure you pair it with speakers that match

Abhijeet,
Why are u against a Rotel Preamp? Because some of them( RC 1070) have few negative reviews? Since u have the RB 1080 the perfect handshake would only be a Rotel pre or if u have the budget a higher end preamp. I am in no way saying that the Rotel Pre s are great but IMO the RC 1082 is pretty decent and good VFM if bought abroad.

Please dont match it with a Nad or similar.

I had the RB 1080 for quite a while and also owned the RC 1070/RC 1082/ Nad C160 and the Rotels worked well with each other. Just before i sold the combo i tried the power amp with the Bryston BP 16 preamp and the much cheaper rotel pre sounded better. One is tweaked to match the other and its always safer to go for a pre/power of the same brand.

BTW do u have a dedicated 15 amp circuit? The Rotel power amp has no soft start and may cause the line to trip on power up.
Regards

Agree with Dinyaar here.
Stick to a Rotel preamplifier unless you are going for a higher end preamp which is known to work with the power block in an enhanced role (tube or SS).

This Rotel power amp will drive anything to dizzy levels. It is certainly voiced and not neutral. I presume u like the Rotel House sound and hence suggest a rotel pre.
The Rotel pre is well made, feels solid, oversize trans and adequately featured.
The power amp i have heard with many speakers but not the dali. The guy i sold it to has paired it with Quad 22L s and just loves his combo. His only problem is the frequent tripping of the breaker.
I would not opt for an integrated but go for a dedicated stereo pre.
Regards

abhijeet, i havent heard the dali's so cant really comment. but cant stress the imp of proper matching for a rotel amp. check out the b&w's as well. they match very well with rotel. am sure dinyaar will support that as well

Hey Afj,
Hope alls well with u. Unfortunately the same cant be said for us Bombay ites.

Yes Rotel is always suggested as a good electronics option for most B&W. Definately the 600/700 series. (Had the RB 1080 with 603/704 and 805 for a while) Since they are part of the same group the electronics are claimed to be tweaked to suit the B&W as the Nad are tweaked to suit the PSB. I would not like to take this as gospel though.

I really like some B&W but the pricing here in our country is steep and hence the brand loses out. Actually Rotel suffers the same fate too.

IMO when going the pre/power route u have to be even more careful matching components as the hand shake between the amplification components is critical.

I dont really suggest the new 600 series B&W as i dont like them. Very noisy, restricted and boxy sound. Fit and finish is better than earlier though this is the first Made in PRC B&W.

Rgds

hey dinyaar
good to hear from you. noticed your absence for a few days from the forum. really bad news about the bombay attacks. more than anything it was just too blatant and i guess thats whats shocked the people. it was like the wild west with people running on the streets with guns. hope that none of your family or friends were affected.

im not a fan of the 600 series of b&w either. the 700 and 800 series are really good but imo not value for money. you get the same for less.

ps. fyi im indian as well. from hyd.

B &W s 700 and 800 series may more costlay than Dali ikon6,i like dali6 than MA RS6

Yes the 700/800 series are more expensive than the Dali ikons. 3 options in that range would be MA RS 6, Quad 22 L, Dali Ikon 6. U prefer the ikon so go for it.
I noticed u are from suburban Mumbai. Call Boomerang at Juhu or Borivali. Speak to Grattan or Vijay. They have all the 3 speakers. TAKE UR AMP THERE as its an effort which is well worth it. Play it thru all speakers and choose. That way u are limiting your chances of heartburn later.

The power amp will play all options well. Did u buy it new? How much and from where as its not a popular choice anymore for whatever reason.

Anyway good luck with your auditions.

im not sure the ma rs6 is a good match with the rotels. they dont match well with anything thats even slightly bright

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back