Rs. 40 for Western Classical LPs

virajsingh

Hi,

Am presently in Wellington, New Zealand and went to a music store selling second hand LPs.

Can you imagine what the prices was for western classicial LPs....1 New Zealand Dollar or Rs. 38 per LP. The quality of the LPs and the cover is excellent. The second hand LPs of the Rock and Jazz were slightly more expensive at about 12-15 New Zealand Dollars or US$ 10-12.

I will be going again tomorrow for picking up more LPs and wanted the advise from the HFV members what they would recommend I should look for given that their musical knowledge is more comprehensive than mine. I can even consider bringing a few second hand LPs for delhi based members if I can find them ( i stay in Chankyapuri) so do let me know if your would want any (it should be around US Dollar 12 but in case of the more popular ones the prices could go up to US$ 20-25).

I will appreciate your help in getting me some good/not to be missed stuff and since I will be going there around 5 am IST on 20 August, will appreciate receving your recommendations till that time.

Thanks and looking for ward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Viraj Singh
New Delhi

P.S. Also picked up a 180 gram vinyl U2 the Joshua Tree double album for about 40 US Dollars.

Hi Viraj!
can you get me vinyls of Astrud Gilberto plus any good blues albums? (i am looking for lightnin hopkins, BB King, Muddy Waters or any of the Blues Rock guys!)

would be of greaaaat help!

virajsingh

For western classical music look for stereo recordings made between 1960-1980. A quick list of good options. The older generation of conductors would have made mono recordings:

Orchestras:

Royal Concertgebouw
Berlin Philharmonic
Vienna Philharmonic
New York Philharmonic
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Staatskapelle Dresden
London Symphony Orchestra
Gewandhaus Leipzig
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Cleveland Orchestra

Conductors:

Claudio Abbado
Herbert Von Karajan
Leonard Bernstein
George Solti
Otto Klemeperer
Eugene Ormandy
Lorin Maazel
Bernard Haitink
Pierre Boulez
Karl Bohm
George Szell
Rafael Kubelik
Carlo Maria Giulini
Wilhelm Furtwangler
Arturo Toscannini
Bruno Walter
John Barbirolli
Thomas Beecham

Pianists:

Sviatoslav Richter
Vladimir Horowitz
Murray Perahia
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Arthur Rubinstein
Maurizio Pollini
Martha Argerich

Violinist:

David Oistrakh
Jascha Heifetz
Yehudi Menuhin
Isaac Stern
Itzhak Perlman
Pinchas Zukerman

String Quartets:

Borodin Quartet
Amadeus Quartet
Alban Berg Quartet

Hi,

Am presently in Wellington, New Zealand and went to a music store selling second hand LPs.

Can you imagine what the prices was for western classicial LPs....1 New Zealand Dollar or Rs. 38 per LP. The quality of the LPs and the cover is excellent. The second hand LPs of the Rock and Jazz were slightly more expensive at about 12-15 New Zealand Dollars or US$ 10-12.

This is typically my experience in US too. Classical LPs cost around $0.50 and often we have buy 3 and get the 4th free. I have found some real gems in them too. Typically rock albums are more expensive $2-3, Beatles cost $20+, Jazz depending on condition can cost more too. I have seen Miles Davis and Thelonisus Monk albums in pristine condition for more than $50.

If you can find look for "Mozart - The Flute Quartets, K. 285 K. 285a K. 285b 298 / Rampal Stern Accardo Rostropovich"
If you have to ever show off your system there is nothing better than this. You can make out Rampal inhaling before his part and the spatial separation between the cello and the violin.

If you can find look for "Mozart - The Flute Quartets, K. 285 K. 285a K. 285b 298 / Rampal Stern Accardo Rostropovich"
If you have to ever show off your system there is nothing better than this. You can make out Rampal inhaling before his part and the spatial separation between the cello and the violin.

I have the Mozart flute concertos by Emmanuel Pahud, but I have never heard Rampal or these quartets. Played the music samplers on Amazon. They sound wonderful!

I had picked up some good classical music vinyls on one of trips to some Eastern European countries sometime back and had the same experience.
I found most of the pop vinyls very cheap.
Jazz, blues and western classical were the most expensive.
Pink Floyd, Chicago, Beatles, Carpenters were also quite expensive.

Thank you guys for your suggestion. Unfortunately work outside wellington prevented me from going to the lp store the next day. On the first day picked up about 50 western classical pls. Well I should be in moscow in 2-3 weeks and shall definately try to find what you all have advised.

Mavav, I will again check for the stuff you have written to me about. Sorry for not having been able to get it this time

Cheers
Viraj

Good luck to you in Moscow.

Unfortunately I didn't find many vinyls in Moscow when I had tried around 2 years back. There were some very good Russian pop vinyls that I did find from the company Melodiya.

NO sweat bro!

Thank you guys for your suggestion. Unfortunately work outside wellington prevented me from going to the lp store the next day. On the first day picked up about 50 western classical pls. Well I should be in moscow in 2-3 weeks and shall definately try to find what you all have advised.

Mavav, I will again check for the stuff you have written to me about. Sorry for not having been able to get it this time

Cheers
Viraj

n

My experience at Edinburgh and London in the UK in June this year was no different either. Got a hord of Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Neil Dianmond, Barbara Streisand, Beatles and Elvis etc for UK Pounds 2-4. The conditions I would say is VG++ being conservative. Absolutely no scratches pops.

Sourced from the thrift stores like Shelters and Oxfam Music as well some of the renowned Vinyl shops along with alleys of the Oxford Steet - Reckless and Sister Rays etc. The thrift stores source was provided to me by ....a cabbie at Edinburgh ( all in the world!!!) Thrift stuff is far superior though and the reason I was given by the attendant at the Oxfam Music was most of the stuff that the thrift store gets is from personal collection which is mostly well taken care off.

Ended up with almost 40 odd LP's and 6 - 7" in my backpack as I could not dare to put in the checked baggauge! Was a pain to carry all the way back home to Singapore but think was worth it. Lookig at the prevailing prices for the same stuff here in Singapore.

Kishor

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back