Running HT sound setup on capable AVR v/s Emotiva

ankitbhargava

I added an Emotiva XPA 5 very recently to my setup and updated another thread running about my experience with Crown 2502 in my HT setup. Wanted to start this thread separately so that Members considering adding a PA to HT setup could know what I gained after investing in a PA. I have myself been very confused about investing in a PA considering the AVR is capable for my Speakers, finally after testing Emotiva in my own setup, I know its made a good improvement.

Please note that my 100% consumption is Movies and that too 95% OTT content (netflix and prime)

I would keep it short as of now with very quick and really percievable improvements in setup.

To begin with, if I have to rank my own setup at my satisfaction level (watching Movies on OTT primarily).. it would look like below

All speakers running via AVR - 6/10
Front Right and Left on Crown, others on AVR - 6.5/10
Emotiva XPA 5 powering LCR and surrounds, surround backs and in ceiling on AVR : 8.5/10

That should give a sense of value addition to the setup after introducing Emotiva
Here are four most impressive improvements

1. I have always complaint in forum about something missing in my setup that fills should fill up Room, with Emotiva I am not sure what changed technically to some sort of frequency range but that filler between low bass and mids has massively improved. Sound is more comparable to that full body effect what we hear in Theatre.

2. All the speakers except LCR were least participative even though of course they were level matched using audyssey and verified manually. Somehow I always felt that besides the sound which is specially meant for surround speakers, I was not getting envelopment from surrounds. After adding emotiva, that continuous "audible" engagement of surrounds has actually improved enveloping impact by two times. I loved how dolby trailers sound now!

3. Distortion in sound and some sort of mix up was going on, that sorted A LOT. I hear a more clear and separated sound. Even cranking up volume doesn't bring in distortion. This was not at all addressed by Crown when I tried it for Fronts and Center.

4. The Center speaker is actually sounding as if I have upgraded it to something better. Dialogues are much more emphatic and sound like Theatre.
I am still to run Audyssey properly and test more!

Separates can bring more meat to the table for sure. I will assume replacing the AVR with an AV processor will make it even better. a 9.5/10 on your scale probably. Some tie back, I was thinking of running a bunch of stereo integrated amps with a standalone processor. Shelved because I can't make much acoustic treatment to the room at my current residence.

Enjoy your Emotova, I am sure they are giving you a great smile. Monoprice - monolith series is also getting good reviews.

Separates can bring more meat to the table for sure. I will assume replacing the AVR with an AV processor will make it even better. a 9.5/10 on your scale probably. Some tie back, I was thinking of running a bunch of stereo integrated amps with a standalone processor. Shelved because I can't make much acoustic treatment to the room at my current residence.

Enjoy your Emotova, I am sure they are giving you a great smile. Monoprice - monolith series is also getting good reviews.
definitely bringing smile :)
had been struggling whole time for this sound quality.

I added an Emotiva XPA 5 very recently to my setup and updated another thread running about my experience with Crown 2502 in my HT setup. Wanted to start this thread separately so that Members considering adding a PA to HT setup could know what I gained after investing in a PA. I have myself been very confused about investing in a PA considering the AVR is capable for my Speakers, finally after testing Emotiva in my own setup, I know its made a good improvement.

Please note that my 100% consumption is Movies and that too 95% OTT content (netflix and prime)

I would keep it short as of now with very quick and really percievable improvements in setup.

To begin with, if I have to rank my own setup at my satisfaction level (watching Movies on OTT primarily).. it would look like below

All speakers running via AVR - 6/10
Front Right and Left on Crown, others on AVR - 6.5/10
Emotiva XPA 5 powering LCR and surrounds, surround backs and in ceiling on AVR : 8.5/10

That should give a sense of value addition to the setup after introducing Emotiva
Here are four most impressive improvements

1. I have always complaint in forum about something missing in my setup that fills should fill up Room, with Emotiva I am not sure what changed technically to some sort of frequency range but that filler between low bass and mids has massively improved. Sound is more comparable to that full body effect what we hear in Theatre.

2. All the speakers except LCR were least participative even though of course they were level matched using audyssey and verified manually. Somehow I always felt that besides the sound which is specially meant for surround speakers, I was not getting envelopment from surrounds. After adding emotiva, that continuous "audible" engagement of surrounds has actually improved enveloping impact by two times. I loved how dolby trailers sound now!

3. Distortion in sound and some sort of mix up was going on, that sorted A LOT. I hear a more clear and separated sound. Even cranking up volume doesn't bring in distortion. This was not at all addressed by Crown when I tried it for Fronts and Center.

4. The Center speaker is actually sounding as if I have upgraded it to something better. Dialogues are much more emphatic and sound like Theatre.
I am still to run Audyssey properly and test more!
Changed my Surround Left and Right today,
replaced Polk Fxi A4s with pre owned Klipsch RS52 (also bipoles), these are much efficient and capable.
Happy with the improvement in rear sound stage.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back