Safe AVR for my expensive TV [50- 80k budget]

stgr99

Hi friends, I need your help in finding out the best AVR for my first home theater system. Here are some details

TV : Sony 4K KD-55X8500B [55"]
Room size : medium
Budget : 50 - 80K
blu ray Movies : 60%, HDTV: 30%, Music : 10%

I did audition high end Q-acoustic [price : 2.4L, way over my budget] and pioneer rs-33 and was impressed by them. I did some research
on speakers and finally decided pioneer AJ 5.1 speakers as I have read only good things about them online (price quoted : 48k) . Local dealers don't have them for demo purpose. :sad:
I was planning to go with marantz AVR1504, but couldn't find any proper service center in Bangalore. My second option was to go with Sony HT-DH550. My father has made a strict rule that under NO circumstances should the TV be damaged with the ht system (or he wil kill me ). That's why I was preferring to go with Sony for their reliability. I have no experience with Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo.

Please suggest any good AVR (and if possible some good speaker+avr combo) in my range. Thanks

When you have 90% usage with 5.1 content.... Choose satellite speakers or Book shelf speaker and complete 7.1 system for a great experience....

Consider Pioneer AVR, it should go well with Pioneer speakers....

When you have 90% usage with 5.1 content.... Choose satellite speakers or Book shelf speaker and complete 7.1 system for a great experience....

Consider Pioneer AVR, it should go well with Pioneer speakers....
I will vote for Yamaha as Pioneer AVR has warranty related issues.

I just want to double-triple ensure that my TV (or it's hdmi port) doesn't get damaged because of AVR since it handles high voltage. (I know my query sounds silly)

I will vote for Yamaha as Pioneer AVR has warranty related issues.

I thought the issues were with 3xx series of AVR only...

I just want to double-triple ensure that my TV (or it's hdmi port) doesn't get damaged because of AVR since it handles high voltage. (I know my query sounds silly)

Nope.. it won't damage the HDMI port of the TV...

An AVR would usually not damage your TV unless you drop one over it...usually the HDMI board gets fried if you are changing the connections while either of the equipment is running. Avoid that and you should be okay. You should be safe with most of the AVR/HTiBs in the market.

IMO, QAcoustics is not high end no matter how high it is priced. Is the 50-80K the budget for the entire setup or just the AVR. When you say medium room, I assume it is around 12x14 kind of dimensions, you could do well with satellites along with a decent AVR, I would suggest look at Yamaha HTIB, Yamaha/Marantz AVR with Boston Accoustics XS5.1 and the likes.

The AVR does handle high current, but only for audio (speakers)
TV handles only video, which is a low power HDMI connection. No way an AVR can harm your TV (it can theoretically harm speakers)

So go ahead and choose an entry level AVR from any reputed manufacturer - Yamaha/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer and enjoy good sound. After all, if you have a really awesome TV, there should be great sound to go with it

Forgot to add, I even auditioned philips fidelio htl9100. The sound lacked the punch but it was almost convincing virtual surround sound. Then I went for Sony bluray based home theater system [58k]. One word: Utter crap. I played only one particular section from Skyfall in all the system.

Anyone can recommend cheap but good woofer. I read AJ ones are not that good.

If you are not happy with Sony HT, try to sell it off for a good price if you can & add to this to make it even better... Juz a thought...

For AVR, you can look at Yamaha HTR-3067, Pioneer VSX-523 or Denon 510BT. Denon has a warm sound (emphasizes bass) where are Yamaha and Pioneer are bright (emphasize treble).

For speakers, I recommend Polk RTx series speakers. For your usage (primarily for movies and TV), Polk speakers are very good. Polk RTx speakers have a warm sound and people generally don't recommend for music.

Yamaha AJ speakers are very good. However, their bass performance is not as good at Polks.

You can demo Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon AVRs and Polk speakers in ProFX, Barton Centre, MG Road.

You can demo Pioneer AJ speakers at DNI Home Theatre in Bellandur or DNI Smart Homes in Hebbal.

Since you do not want to risk your TV, connect the AVR and TV using optical (TOSLINK) cable. There will be no electrical connection between the two. You can connect the AVR to a different switchboard as well.

Awesome idea jags on using optical cable. In fact, I had made similar project in my engineering days. Feeling bit ashamed that I didn't think of it first.

Thanks again for letting me know where AJ speakers can be audiioned. :clapping:

Best wishes for your HT purchase.

Demo as many speakers as possible before finalizing the purchase. Demo speakers which are a bit above your range as well. This will give you an idea of the kind of sound you like as each speaker sounds different. Try listening to Dali, Boston Acoustics, Q Acoustics, KEF, Wharfadele, etc.

Did exactly that. Went and demoed Jamo s626 5.0 [speakers 68-72k]. They were awesome. Super tempted to buy them :eek:hyeah:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back