Sale by owners or Sale by Dealers?

I will second with Venky...

Everything that looks cheaper or comes with a huge discount is a genuine product...

I have seen many people getting ditched... And even i have been cheated once on ebay...
i bought an MP3 player with Screen, nearly 4-5 years ago, when it was a demand in public... i bought it for Rs.2800 where in other people in market were selling the same for Rs.5-6K...

and then as it says, i paid the price...
It hardly worked for 4 days... first it stopped charging, so i posted a negative review about them, then they called me and made a deal, that if i remove the negative comment, they will send a charging cable for free... so i did, and even got the cable, but 2 days after that, my MP3 player stopped working completely...and i had to threw it ultimately...

------------------------------

So don't be assured that you always get good products from ebay or online else where...

------------------------------

Second thing, when you are getting some products through Amazon.com or any online partners (abroad), as per the rules you are liable to pay customs duty for any billing amount exceeding Rs.5,000... So, if you are not charged the Customs, you are lucky, but its not the case always... so don't take it for granted...

This is an interesting thread and having sold 2-3 items (no software) , having unsuccessfully listed 2 items (no software) and bought 2-3 items - these are my thoughts, specifically relating to used audio equipment:
1. I agree 100% with Venkat - all negotiations have to be done via pm and not on the for sale thread. This is to maintain civility on the thread.
2. As far as pricing - it is the seller's choice as to what he wants to price his products. He can price his used product higher than the new product if he wishes - it is a free country after all.
3. If a buyer wants a lower price, he can contact the seller via PM and negotiate to his heart's content.
4. Since it is a free market place - the buyer can decide to buy from the seller or from any other source that is lower or to the buyers preference - so where is the question of regulating the selling price? If the item is available lower then the buyer will logically buy from there, if not he won't. Why make an issue of it?
5. Secondly if the price listed is too high or there is no demand for said item, then as per free market principles, the item will not sell and logically the seller will reduce the price - as seen in some recent posts. The item may never sell at all or the seller can withdraw the sale.
6. Also one note on selling price - specially for audio equipment - it logically should be based on replacement price in India - meaning the cost of buying that product in India. Not on the geographic location/price that the item was bought - though sometimes buyers list that as well.
7. Reason for point 6 is that if the buyer were to procure a similar item (equipment specifically) from an overseas location, then he has to add shipping/insurance/customs to have it delivered to his home. All this adds significant amount to the item. One good reference for pricing - is the audiogon bluebook (www.audiogon.com - unfortunately this is not a free service) - where prices of many used audio equipment are listed - as this is in US where large volume of used equipment are transacted, it appears to be a fair price gathered over 1000's of similar equipment sold. Just remember to add shipping/insurance/customs to these to get a fair price in India - One method that I have used successfully both while buying and selling.

Please note- these are just my thoughts to make the hifi vision market place a better place to participate in. Not to support the seller or the buyer. Naturally the seller wants to sell for the highest price and the buyer wants to buy for the lowest price - no harm in that as long as we treat each other with respect.
Hope everybody takes it in that spirit.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I think posting a sale in a forum necessitates that the seller be ok with a discussion on the items being sold. I know it sometimes attracts stupid comments but thats true for any thread.

Buyers should be made aware if they are being cheated. Of course sellers wont like it, but selling in a forum should be different from selling in a e-commerce site.

It has to be participative with people giving inputs if the pricing is wrong or in some cases like the person selling a TV, fictitious.

There are lots of fakes that get sold on ebay. It would be very difficult to identify genuine vs fake. I am not saying the one bought by you is a fake
one but in-general one has to be careful and not necessarily assume that
they get genuine products from ebay.

For instance look at the following link:
eBay.co.uk Guides - Fake Bose In Ear Headphones Earphones GENERAL

Yep, this is the gesture and should be an eyeopener for all.:clapping:

When i put PMX 60 in the sale thread, i clearly mentioned it that i do not know about the pricing it retails here, i go this as "GIFT" I just thought if the MRP is 2299/- i should expect half so that i'll get something and the buyer shall also be benefited, i thought if someone wants to buy it, dealer may offer 10% or 15% on the MRP, or what ?
Beiju and many other forum members must have checked its price and PMed me that they are ready to buy it so the sale went on :)

But it really seems pathetic a brand like senninsher putting this type of sh*tt*ing image on the customers, MRP says 2299/- and it sells at quarter of the price. It seems like "Palika Bazaar" market :mad:

Dear beiju, Please check it again and let me know,if this headphone is there in ebay at less price, I'll immedieatly return you the difference amount.

Regards

I think posting a sale in a forum necessitates that the seller be ok with a discussion on the items being sold. I know it sometimes attracts stupid comments but thats true for any thread.

Buyers should be made aware if they are being cheated. Of course sellers wont like it, but selling in a forum should be different from selling in a e-commerce site.

It has to be participative with people giving inputs if the pricing is wrong or in some cases like the person selling a TV, fictitious.

Excellent proposition :)

When i put PMX 60 in the sale thread, i clearly mentioned it that i do not know about the pricing it retails here, i go this as "GIFT" I just thought if the MRP is 2299/- i should expect half so that i'll get something and the buyer shall also be benefited, i thought if someone wants to buy it, dealer may offer 10% or 15% on the MRP, or what ?
Beiju and many other forum members must have checked its price and PMed me that they are ready to buy it so the sale went on :)

But it really seems pathetic a brand like senninsher putting this type of sh*tt*ing image on the customers, MRP says 2299/- and it sells at quarter of the price. It seems like "Palika Bazaar" market :mad:

Dear beiju, Please check it again and let me know,if this headphone is there in ebay at less price, I'll immedieatly return you the difference amount.

Regards

Too good to see,i am really happy of your reply,i may have ended with duplicate as mentioned by the members.i bought it as a forum member posted in hot deals section...

The seller should be sure about the authenticity. If one buys a product from ebay on a fraction of its market price and sells it here (a hypothetical scenario) say half of its market price for some quick buck, it should account for cheating. This is a community and trust plays a very important part in the success of this forum.

Regards

Hi bobby, I am happy to see your response. Before I made my decision to purchase the headphones from you, I searched ebay and other online selling sites to know about the price and I found it is roughly 2K. You don't need to refund anything to me. It was a pleasure dealing with you. If i remember correct, you were willing to ship the item even before i made the payment. Thanks.:)

Hi bobby, I am happy to see your response. Before I made my decision to purchase the headphones from you, I searched ebay and other online selling sites to know about the price and I found it is roughly 2K. You don't need to refund anything to me. It was a pleasure dealing with you. If i remember correct, you were willing to ship the item even before i made the payment. Thanks.:)

:clapping:

Any sale is a two way process, and the price is decided by supply and demand. The seller offers a product and expects a particular price. It is upto the buyer to accept the price or not. Please remember, there is absolutely no compulsion on anyone to sell or buy. I have seen many items remaining unsold for long periods. At the same time I have seen many items being picked up before EOD.

The only thing we expect is that the buyer and seller negotiate through PMs, so that the sale thread does not degenerate into a free for all. Sometime ago we had restricted commenting on For Sale thread by anyone other than the seller. This restriction has been removed, though we yet expect members to behave when they participate.

Not everyone is very adept or comfortable with on-line commerce. So, if I get a used product or even a brand new one for a price that is in my mind, reasonable, from an HFV member, I will certainly pick it up.

The sale and purchase of items by owners on HFV is a voluntary process, and there is no way we can fix the price, so to say.

Cheers

Well said. Makes absolute sense.

If anybody here is willing to join with me for ordering BD's from USA.. I will take the pain of ordering in LOT(belongs to all) and bring it here and split it between us.. Can discuss further ideas via PM or email.:)

Regards

If anybody here is willing to join with me for ordering BD's from USA.. I will take the pain of ordering in LOT(belongs to all) and bring it here and split it between us.. Can discuss further ideas via PM or email.:)

Regards
I am quite willing. But there are few doubts that has stopped me ordering from US, in paricular Amazon.com.

- the first issue is Amazon shipping charges to India are fairly high
- the first issue could be resolved by using Aramex S&S; but that raises the second issue - Aramex S&S minimum charge is $10 and if Amazon ships in multiple shipments (and this happens more than 90% of the times), the shipping cost will escalate the cost
- ordering in bulk will attract customs duties further raising the total cost of ownership

For quite a while, I wanted movies such as The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Tron Classic, Tangled, Star Wars, etc. All of these are region coded or expected to be.

For quite some time now, I have been thinking of ordering a BDP from UK to counter this. I would love to own a region free Oppo-93 but the price of 40k+ is frightening.

My suggestion is to order some BD's from Amazon UK but ship it with priority option where we get the tracking number, this way we are assured of faster delivery and a tracking number.

My suggestion is to order some BD's from Amazon UK but ship it with priority option where we get the tracking number, this way we are assured of faster delivery and a tracking number.
The priority shipping is very costly.

a) Per DVD/BD, the rate is 2.79
b) Per delivery the rate is 20.99

So, if you order 5 BDs, the total shipping cost, assuming one delivery, will be 2.79x5 + 20.99 or 34.94. This will be most likely same as the cost of the BDs themselves.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back