Sale by owners or Sale by Dealers?

just4kix

I have tried long to stay away from creating this thread. But of late, I am quite appalled at the way a few members are pricing their sale items here on the forum. And this is principally directed at sale of BDs/DVDs.

I have always believed that members should sell items in the spirit of benefitting other members and not with an intention of making a profit. To that extent, I would even extend that members make a small profit for the efforts that they are making. For instance, I would expect members to sell BDs/DVDs at no more than Rs. 100 as profit. In case of used items, I would expect a sale below market price.

But people are importing BDs in bulk and selling at a premium here and claiming that the item is much cheaper than the same item sold in Indian stores.

Over 90% of BDs are imported from UK, probably via Amazon with free shipping. This is very much clear because picture clearly show the British certification such as U, PG, 12, 15, 18, etc. (the American representation is quite different). Prices are 50% or higher than Amazon prices. If such is the case, then such sales should not be classified as "Sale by members"; rather as "Sale as Dealers". And there is no point saying that "when I purchased the price was so and so ... so I am selling at this price".

I will advise buyers to check Amazon prices before committing.

Cheers.

Just4,

Yes, you are right...Most of the guys are putting only for profit making or try to get the price what they spent for buying an new one.

This place becomes now an Marketplace to make profit and not to form an community. The time and trend has gone what we have seen an year before.

I am having a fun of seeing the BD's coming for sale which I sold for Rs.600 an year back were coming here for 1K...

Good luck for all and now hifivision has become hifimart.:)

There can be some profit if HFV member need to upgrade the system.

eg.If someone gets speakers "A" for 15k 2 yrs back & plan to upgrade to "B" 25k speaker this year can keep his price on the base of current MRP of "A".
So if current mrp is 18k,person can ask Rs.16k (for mint conditioned working speaker).
So here the seller gets 1k profit which will be helpful to upgrade & buyer gets 2K discount as new will be available for 18k.

Thats 2 way helping each others.

Spiro, I have no complaints against the example you mentioned and such other instances. My grouse is against rampant overcharging and in chief motivated against software sale.

One exception can be there for unopened/unused BDs, seller can charge a little premium, because of risks involved in getting the orders (free shipping method).

Sometimes Duty will be charged by Indian Customs. Like I paid ~ 410Rs for 2812Rs order of BDs.

Last edited:
First of all, there is no risk with Amazon.

- the order is usually delivered as promised 90% of the times
- in the 10% of the cases, Amazon sends a free replacement
- even afterward you fail to get the delivery, Amazon will refund the entire amount to the credit card

The risk is less than 1% and only to the extent that your money will be blocked for some time till full refund occurs.

I charted the opinion to sell at no loss basis. But as I said later, Rs. 100 as profit could be acceptable.

A good point you have raised.

But leaving aside BDs, even other electronics are highly priced on members sale and as per un written rules you cannot challenge the price of the seller.
I have sold many of my stuff here and some were so damn cheap people thought (and told me)I have no idea of valuing my items.
Any sale should be with open and genuine discussion by all so the buyer can make a informed desicion.

regards

There can be some profit if HFV member need to upgrade the system.

eg.If someone gets speakers "A" for 15k 2 yrs back & plan to upgrade to "B" 25k speaker this year can keep his price on the base of current MRP of "A".
So if current mrp is 18k,person can ask Rs.16k (for mint conditioned working speaker).
So here the seller gets 1k profit which will be helpful to upgrade & buyer gets 2K discount as new will be available for 18k.

Thats 2 way helping each others.

What about depreciation? in my view one should sell it for example 13K to make it more helpful to forum members. The 2 yrs of usage is the selling members profit as well as depreciation of the product.

For members benefit nowadays 25GB BD's are available for 450 Rs. in chennai.

Regards

sub

Great thread, we should have a standard policy for all items.

We cannot ask for a premium just because the item is priced higher in India or the risk involved/ borne by the importer.

Agree with Just4kix. I got around 9 BDs from Amazon UK for less than
Rs. 2500. Planet Earth Special Edition was priced at GBP 14.95 (comes to slightly more than Rs. 1200 @ 83 per GBP). I find someone selling this at Rs. 2500. In fact mine is a 6-disc set. Duty is generally not charged on books and discs.

I have a feeling people rip the BDs to their media players and try to make profit out of the original discs.

Any sale is a two way process, and the price is decided by supply and demand. The seller offers a product and expects a particular price. It is upto the buyer to accept the price or not. Please remember, there is absolutely no compulsion on anyone to sell or buy. I have seen many items remaining unsold for long periods. At the same time I have seen many items being picked up before EOD.

The only thing we expect is that the buyer and seller negotiate through PMs, so that the sale thread does not degenerate into a free for all. Sometime ago we had restricted commenting on For Sale thread by anyone other than the seller. This restriction has been removed, though we yet expect members to behave when they participate.

Not everyone is very adept or comfortable with on-line commerce. So, if I get a used product or even a brand new one for a price that is in my mind, reasonable, from an HFV member, I will certainly pick it up.

The sale and purchase of items by owners on HFV is a voluntary process, and there is no way we can fix the price, so to say.

Cheers

Last edited:

It is me who bought that headphone for 1.2K. How did you get that for 600/-?. Before making my decision I searched ebay and other online seller sites and found the price is appx. 2K. Anyway I won't accuse the seller for the high price, or you for keeping your mouth shut.

Last edited:
@venkat, very well put. I agree that sale is a two way process. My thread is an appeal to seller members to have some conscience. And a caution also to novice buyers :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
i saw it listed in ebay last month also,
my point is,at least there should be some exception in the forum rules...........
how can I see a fellow member paying a elite amount for nothing.

Last edited:
Canduu/ Just4kix,

Member consciousness should tell he is paying more:), However at last it is OP deciding the price of his product and better we should not indicate in his sale thread about that, may be we can send an PM or why cant we open an common thread in deals section quoting the price for the items(not indicating directly the thread) which land for sale in "Group buy or Sale section".

Atleast by seeing/comparing this, members can go ahead for cracking the deal.:cool:

my point is,at least there should be some exception in the forum rules...........
how can I see a fellow member paying a elite amount for nothing.

It is an best catch, if you could have posted it:)

Though it is good if you get a product at a low price, personally I will be very suspicious if a product is being sold at an unreasonably low price.

Contrary to what happens at eBay, members at HFV continue to be in touch with each other, and I assume we will be careful of the status of the product that we are selling on the forum.

Cheers

When i put PMX 60 in the sale thread, i clearly mentioned it that i do not know about the pricing it retails here, i go this as "GIFT" I just thought if the MRP is 2299/- i should expect half so that i'll get something and the buyer shall also be benefited, i thought if someone wants to buy it, dealer may offer 10% or 15% on the MRP, or what ?
Beiju and many other forum members must have checked its price and PMed me that they are ready to buy it so the sale went on :)

But it really seems pathetic a brand like senninsher putting this type of sh*tt*ing image on the customers, MRP says 2299/- and it sells at quarter of the price. It seems like "Palika Bazaar" market :mad:

Dear beiju, Please check it again and let me know,if this headphone is there in ebay at less price, I'll immedieatly return you the difference amount.

Regards

Now, that's what I call a Gentleman....:clapping:

When i put PMX 60 in the sale thread, i clearly mentioned it that i do not know about the pricing it retails here, i go this as "GIFT" I just thought if the MRP is 2299/- i should expect half so that i'll get something and the buyer shall also be benefited, i thought if someone wants to buy it, dealer may offer 10% or 15% on the MRP, or what ?
Beiju and many other forum members must have checked its price and PMed me that they are ready to buy it so the sale went on :)

But it really seems pathetic a brand like senninsher putting this type of sh*tt*ing image on the customers, MRP says 2299/- and it sells at quarter of the price. It seems like "Palika Bazaar" market :mad:

Dear beiju, Please check it again and let me know,if this headphone is there in ebay at less price, I'll immedieatly return you the difference amount.

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back