Any feedback on the dealer FabtoLab?

sachinchavan 15865

Hi friends,

I am considering buying well-featured radio set and came across this Indian dealer site FabtoLab:

They have good range of some brands, including models not available on Amazon India (the source that’s my default). More importantly, their prices are not over-inflated like the sellers on Amazon and more realistic considering duties etc.

However, I have no experience of buying from them and am usually wary of buying (esp for significant amounts) from online dealers given there are so many spurious ones out there (though to be fair, FabtoLab has mentioned their address and phone numbers on the website unlike many others). Hence I want to know from those of you who have bought items from FabtoLab in the past, what has been your experience with them? They are into a lot of products, DIY kits and components. So I imagine some of you must have bought from them in the past.

Particularly I want to know the following:

1. Do they give a delivery date commitment and deliver by it? I imagine these products are back ordered by them, in that case, are their delivery commitments still adhered?

2. Do they stick to the price and there’s no hidden or additional charges (customs clearing for example) added later (after you place the order)?

3. Are their sales respected by the manufacturers for warranty?

4. How’s their support when a repair/replacement is needed? Do they ask you to contact the manufacturer directly or take the responsibility themselves?

5. Any other point from yours experience (positive or negative) that can help me in deciding on buying from them?

Thanks.

Hi friends,

I am considering buying well-featured radio set and came across this Indian dealer site FabtoLab:

They have good range of some brands, including models not available on Amazon India (the source that’s my default). More importantly, their prices are not over-inflated like the sellers on Amazon and more realistic considering duties etc.

However, I have no experience of buying from them and am usually wary of buying (esp for significant amounts) from online dealers given there are so many spurious ones out there (though to be fair, FabtoLab has mentioned their address and phone numbers on the website unlike many others). Hence I want to know from those of you who have bought items from FabtoLab in the past, what has been your experience with them? They are into a lot of products, DIY kits and components. So I imagine some of you must have bought from them in the past.

Particularly I want to know the following:

1. Do they give a delivery date commitment and deliver by it? I imagine these products are back ordered by them, in that case, are their delivery commitments still adhered?
As long as the item is in stock, they deliver. But when out of stock they are silent and you have to run after them to get refund. They generally ask you to buy something else. They don't respond by email. However whatsapp works.
2. Do they stick to the price and there’s no hidden or additional charges (customs clearing for example) added later (after you place the order)?
They don't have any hidden charges. That has been my experience.
3. Are their sales respected by the manufacturers for warranty?
I have limited experience in this matter. I had one issue with a device made by Allo and I had to contact allo directly who did honour the warranty.
4. How’s their support when a repair/replacement is needed? Do they ask you to contact the manufacturer directly or take the responsibility themselves?
Yes. They will ask you to contact the manufacturer directly.
5. Any other point from yours experience (positive or negative) that can help me in deciding on buying from them?

Thanks.
It is just that they don't at all respond to emails. I hate using whatsapp so that's my only major grouse against them. So if you are buying something ask them on whatsapp if the item is really really in stock.

As long as the item is in stock, they deliver. But when out of stock they are silent and you have to run after them to get refund. They generally ask you to buy something else. They don't respond by email. However whatsapp works.
By stock I imagine you mean physically with them (and not in stock with their distributor abroad), is that right? Also, can one depend on their stock status? If it shows a ‘available’ on their website, can one trust that it is truly available physically with them?

They don't have any hidden charges. That has been my experience.
That is reassuring!
I have limited experience in this matter. I had one issue with a device made by Allo and I had to contact allo directly who did honour the warranty.

Yes. They will ask you to contact the manufacturer directly.
Umm, like most Indian dealers. Thats sad. Also because the said items aren’t manufactured here, nor do they have a service center here. So one will have to bear the international shipping cost for sending the product for repairs.
It is just that they don't at all respond to emails. I hate using whatsapp so that's my only major grouse against them.
Hmm. As long as they respond via WhatsApp, one at least has some hope. But e-mails are perhaps more ’official communication’ and professional companies should respond to it.

Thanks Manavendra.

I found them quite responsive, both on email and phone. I had ordered an Allo Shanti which turned out to be defective. This was during the no stock/low stock post COVID phase. Was able to get troubleshooting done over the phone. When that didn't work, was able to get a refund. All this wasn't lightning fast; it happened at its own pace but wasn't frustrating.

I found them quite responsive, both on email and phone. I had ordered an Allo Shanti which turned out to be defective. This was during the no stock/low stock post COVID phase. Was able to get troubleshooting done over the phone. When that didn't work, was able to get a refund. All this wasn't lightning fast; it happened at its own pace but wasn't frustrating.
Thanks. Gives an idea of what to expect.

Best if you call them on their number once and ask before placing the order on timelines.
Thanks. I plan to do the same.

They are based out of HSR layout in Bangalore. Picked up an Allo Shanti recently from them , they contacted me themselves once order was ready for pick up ( I had opted for pick up ). Was a smooth experience for me

I had a good experience buying from them - bought a couple of times.
I had to follow up once for an RPI based streamer - and their customer support put me in touch with one of their engineers who walked me through resolving it on a video call.

I had purchased quite some items from them. Allo shanti, raspberry pi, nirvana lps, etc and it was good. They are professional in that sense.

Only when item is not in stock, we have some waiting period and follow-up is required.

Thanks everyone. The fact that many of you have dealt with them gave me the confidence. I followed your suggestion and spoke to Fab.to.Lab over the phone. And indeed that’s what one should do if one wants to purchase from them. For, the stock position on the product page doesn’t necessarily mean the item is physically in stock with them. It needs to be confirmed via a phone call or WhatsApp message. I should say the team there is quite responsive and provided me the stock availability, pricing and shipping info etc quite promptly. For the items I was interested in, their distributor is in Hongkong and if an item is on back order, they take about 15 days, I was told. I bought an item in stock item (a radio set) - it has been shipped and should be here in a day or two. They ship only through Blue Dart, which is a costlier shipping option and costs extra. But the item price is very reasonable, especially when compared with the importing vendors in Amazon for the same.

Update: I received the radio set today. It was well-packed and reached me well in time. I’d recommend Fab.to.lab based on my experience.

Here’s a look at the radio. One of the few remaining purely analog radios. Old world charm of actually moving the jog dial… like hydraulic steering! No bells and whistles, no auto scan or memory presets. Very easy to use. Comes with an external antenna that catches a lot of SW stations. Natural sound that DSP radios usually lack. Decent three inch speaker. And very cost effective model.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back