Broke-Fi: Venture Electronics Supernova or AKG K72 ?

pyromaniac

Hey there,
I am a beginner audiophile (hope to stay this way and never descend into the depts of consumerism). I am considering to buy a pair of headphones.
My options based on my budget are Venture Electronics Supernova and AKG K52. Both are available at the same price point. VE supernova selling for 2800 and AKG k72 for 2900.

I own a pair of VE Monk's and their Abagail DAC and personally I like their suff. I am not so sure about AKG them being from Harman they do kind of feel like a gimmick-ey brand like Bose.

Which option is best to consider here, I am hoping to get the best out of my money.

I haven't heard those products at all. but...

IMO buy planar magnetic, they're inefiicient so you need a good amp.

I have heard pretty good dynamic ones (AKG K702) and they don't resolve anything close to what mine do (mine is a basic fostex modded one), but then you need an excellent amp because they're hard load which need good drive from the amp (aka. more current, and quick enough to serve the transients - basically a higher slew rate output stage). no idea about the portables though...

if you can't afford an amp now, plan it for later. you will only lose out on volume and may be little bit on bass until then.

good luck

Last edited:
I've not heard a k72. Have heard the k92. Harman sound and very durable. Needs some power though

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back