Suggestion for Classified section

corElement

Scenario:
I paid for upgrade
I put up post for sale
Post was getting some months old
Saw others updating their posts so I updated as well
Got notice Post has been moved to another thread because bumping is not allowed
I am someone with 23 years of UX design under my belt.
In this scenario the knee jerk reaction response would be "You should have read the rules" However I did read the rules but I was seeing others doing it anyway. Yet mine was removed. This means there is some basis by which mine is different from the others. Whatever the basis it, it needs to be presented to a user in the following approach

1. Modal box pop up once they click on edit/update post where they are informed "You are updating a sale post where bumping is not allowed"
2. Followed by "To update your post please include xyz information for it to not be considered a bump"
3. Include instructions on that modal box pop up "If your post is removed here are the instructions to follow to bring it back" or better yet "As you are an upgraded member bumps are only allowed within x period"
4. On the notification include follow up instructions "You have bumped your post this is not allowed" or "Your post has been moved to x" Currently it doesnt say anything about where the post has been moved to. Can I bring back the post? I dont know. Will I punished even though I have paid for making another post? I don't know.

My WTS post is basically in limbo even after paying to upgrade for full year. I basically don't know what to do. You need to give the user clear instructions what happens in this scenario. This is bad UX design and essentially a draconian approach in 2023. 14 years ago when I had joined it made sense but this is not 14 years ago (Ironically it was free at the time). I'm a long time member, I would not be making this post if I didn't care about the community.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I see your sale thread is still visible in the Classifieds section.
It is only the "bump" posts that have been removed.

ah I see, I found it. sorry.

But yeah my suggestion is still something that can help the user. Esp if the notification mentions "Moved back in queue" or something on those lines. Apologies if my post came across as flustered. But being a UX person I solve things like these for a living for decades now. Only want to help.

Since classifieds are now paid, so governed by a set of rules, there must be a way of bumping them…. (Depending on your subscription)

Another observation, seems even active ad's older than 3 months are now being deleted after this new account upgrade option was introduced.. Previously we were able to see both open & closed Ad's which were even 9+ months old. So kindly requesting Mod's to consider retaining these Ad's till the item is sold.. Thanks!!.

Scenario:
I paid for upgrade
I put up post for sale
Post was getting some months old
Saw others updating their posts so I updated as well
Got notice Post has been moved to another thread because bumping is not allowed
I am someone with 23 years of UX design under my belt.
In this scenario the knee jerk reaction response would be "You should have read the rules" However I did read the rules but I was seeing others doing it anyway. Yet mine was removed. This means there is some basis by which mine is different from the others. Whatever the basis it, it needs to be presented to a user in the following approach

1. Modal box pop up once they click on edit/update post where they are informed "You are updating a sale post where bumping is not allowed"
2. Followed by "To update your post please include xyz information for it to not be considered a bump"
3. Include instructions on that modal box pop up "If your post is removed here are the instructions to follow to bring it back" or better yet "As you are an upgraded member bumps are only allowed within x period"
4. On the notification include follow up instructions "You have bumped your post this is not allowed" or "Your post has been moved to x" Currently it doesnt say anything about where the post has been moved to. Can I bring back the post? I dont know. Will I punished even though I have paid for making another post? I don't know.

My WTS post is basically in limbo even after paying to upgrade for full year. I basically don't know what to do. You need to give the user clear instructions what happens in this scenario. This is bad UX design and essentially a draconian approach in 2023. 14 years ago when I had joined it made sense but this is not 14 years ago (Ironically it was free at the time). I'm a long time member, I would not be making this post if I didn't care about the community.
I couldn’t agree more how important usability is (though not specific to this classified section). There was a reason why WhatsApp became the most popular messaging app even with big players like Google around. Install and start chatting (no user name, password, registration..though these days security cannot be an afterthought).

Another example of sharply contrasting usability is the website of Sharekhan vs Zerodha, and you know what I am talking about. Try pulling out a report on Sharekhan! I think Zerodha became a market leader with not just low brokerage fees, but a critical differentiator would be how easy is to use that app- bare minimum cognitive load.

Usability (I am not sure if that is the same as UX design) is often overlooked in product design and is thought about much later. And then companies spend millions trying to fix it. If you dig enough deeper on the net, I am sure you would come across stellar products and ideas that died just because of poor usability.

At 2:30 in this YouTube clip, you could figure how Jobs made his history.

Solution for every Scenario
Original Price 2000
2days later Price Drop New Price 1999

2days later Price Drop New Price 1998

2days later Price Drop New Price 1997
No Rules Are Violated
well thats true however now the user is gaming the system or taking advantage of the loopholes therefore there should be a minimum drop threshold (in Rs.) for it to not attract the bump rule :)

Original Price 2000

No Rules Are Violated

I think those "watching" the post will opt out.

You will lose potential buyers.

.....there should be a minimum drop threshold (in Rs.) for it to not attract the bump rule :)

Don't go down that rabbit hole....

1. You are not a school master. If you try to dominate, they will try & defeat your restrictions. Most admins today need to appreciate they are dealing with adults, not sheep. :)

2. There will always be another way to beat the system.

think those "watching" the post will opt out.

You will lose potential buyers.
For Seasoned Buyers that's like reaching the Reserve Price, and an indication to approach with an offer.

You are not a school master.
Very well said, that's the last thing Admins should be bothered about, more silly (but legal) bumps actually add more clicks to the overall website traffic.
If you clench the fists further, Sellers will move to free WA groups or some alternative websites.

A VERY Important point for the Current Classified Posts & their administration.....

The Classified section, (Unlike the rest of this website / forum), is a Paid Section. So Admins are dealing with Posters who are Paying the Forum.

Cannot deal rough shod, like not putting up a post, without an explanation. The person has Paid the forum's asking price, and needs to be addressed as a customer who has already paid.

All posts in the rest of the forum sections are free posts, and admins can do as they please (with the member at liberty to leave).

That said, I feel the action taken by the Admin to corElement's post as detailed by Naturelover is admirable and laudable 👌

Original Price 2000

No Rules Are Violated
I have seen a member do this, it was so irritating, he brought the product he was selling from 20k to 10k eventually.
He was posting every 2 days a 500/- price drop & kept bumping his post, i was shocked how the mods didn't ban this guy seriously.
Was an eye sore in the classifieds section.

Cheers.

Since we are on the topic of Classifieds, a suggesstion on the quality and compulsory photo portions.
Now that almost all phones come with good cameras, the quality of the photos postesd must be close and of good resolution. Also it must be made mandatory to post asdes of the component that carry connectors. Like in amps, dacs, preamps etc, rear photos must be made mandatory so that the condition like scartches, corrosion etc can be assessed.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back