Sammy PS51D490A1 or PS51E490 or Panny TH-50X30D

ramblog

I am looking for a bedroom TV (room size 15x13ft) at around 60K to be wall mounted and watched from bed to replace my 2007 Sammy 32in LA32. After countless hours of researching here and other fora, have come to the conclusion that I need that at least 46in or higher at my viewing distance of ~11.5 ft. Mostly planning to watch 720p content off the net/ little HD DTH/ some SD TV upscaled through Airtel HD STB. Am not keen on net apps or 3D.

At the place where I live, all i have seen a lone 40in LED Panny on display: no plasmas at all on display: all only available to order at all major shops. Most of them dont want me to buy Plasma anyway: keen on pushing me to ultra bright LEDs.

Now coming to my dilemma, I originally was planning to get the Sammy PS51D550 Full HD but had to drop it for to two reasons. 1) Price is still high inspite of a newer model: quoted 72K (maybe haggled to 70K) 2) From what i read, Full HD may not make a difference over 720p at my viewing distance (>11ft) on a 51 incher.

So I switched my focus to the cheaper model Samsung PS51D490A1 (@ 62K INR). The sales guy however tried to dissuade me to the newer model PS51E490/E470 at 64K INR. However when i stressed on my budget of less than 60K he suggested the Panny 50X30D at 55K.

the older D490 specs say 1366x768 (true 720p) : the newer one E490 is only 1024x768 (ED-Plasma) but the newer one gets Real Black filter.

This has only furthered my confusion. I would be grateful if someone can provide me with suggestions/answers to these queries.

1) Is the drop to 1024x768 from true 720p significant?

2) is the Real Black filter a killer feature that offsets the drop in resolution?

3) Why is the Panny 50X30 so cheap as compared to the Samsungs inspite of even getting net connectivity which the latter lacks? Should I be worried about the panel/PQ/life/any other issue?

4) I am sold on the Full HD doesnt make a difference on a 51 incher compared to 720p at a distance of over 11ft. Is that a fact?

Thanks.

:sos:

I am looking for a bedroom TV (room size 15x13ft) at around 60K to be wall mounted and watched from bed to replace my 2007 Sammy 32in LA32. After countless hours of researching here and other fora, have come to the conclusion that I need that at least 46in or higher at my viewing distance of ~11.5 ft. Mostly planning to watch 720p content off the net/ little HD DTH/ some SD TV upscaled through Airtel HD STB. Am not keen on net apps or 3D.

At the place where I live, all i have seen a lone 40in LED Panny on display: no plasmas at all on display: all only available to order at all major shops. Most of them dont want me to buy Plasma anyway: keen on pushing me to ultra bright LEDs.

Now coming to my dilemma, I originally was planning to get the Sammy PS51D550 Full HD but had to drop it for to two reasons. 1) Price is still high inspite of a newer model: quoted 72K (maybe haggled to 70K) 2) From what i read, Full HD may not make a difference over 720p at my viewing distance (>11ft) on a 51 incher.

So I switched my focus to the cheaper model Samsung PS51D490A1 (@ 62K INR). The sales guy however tried to dissuade me to the newer model PS51E490/E470 at 64K INR. However when i stressed on my budget of less than 60K he suggested the Panny 50X30D at 55K.

the older D490 specs say 1366x768 (true 720p) : the newer one E490 is only 1024x768 (ED-Plasma) but the newer one gets Real Black filter.

This has only furthered my confusion. I would be grateful if someone can provide me with suggestions/answers to these queries.

2) is the Real Black filter a killer feature that offsets the drop in resolution?

3) Why is the Panny 50X30 so cheap as compared to the Samsungs inspite of even getting net connectivity which the latter lacks? Should I be worried about the panel/PQ/life/any other issue?

4) I am sold on the Full HD doesnt make a difference on a 51 incher compared to 720p at a distance of over 11ft. Is that a fact?

Thanks.

Hello,
Firstly, 1024*768 is not a major drop considering your viewing distance. You won't notice it at all.
Secondly,i own a PS43E470. It also comes with a Real Black Filter but that only absorbs ambient light. It does not contributes to black levels as i have noticed.
Thirdly, since Panasonic is known for their upper hand in plasma tv's so they have more raw materials to produce plasma at a cheaper price. Rest assured, you will get better quality plasma from Samsung in lower range. Panasonic plasma with neo pdp panel is great but other than that Samsung plasmas are better.
Lastly, i don't think you will notice any difference at that viewing distance. But yes full hd does make a difference. The thing is, if your eyes can notice it then it makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.

Panasonic makes some of the best plasmas..................not in the entry level segment. If you want Panasonic then go for the models that support neo pdp panels, which are the V,S,G series. Otherwise you are better with Samsung. The Sam D550 is an excellent tv. If possible try to stretch your budget or get a better deal, but its money well spent!!! I would go with Samsung and not with the X30.

The resolution for HDTV should be 1280x720p and the aspect ratio should be 1280/720= 16/9 = 1.78. That is matched with 1366x768 resolution panel display(16/9=1.78). But how the aspect ratio 16/9 will maintain through 1024x768 (1024/768 = 1.33) panel display resolution.

Lastly, i don't think you will notice any difference at that viewing distance. But yes full hd does make a difference. The thing is, if your eyes can notice it then it makes a difference.

The Sam D550 is an excellent tv. If possible try to stretch your budget or get a better deal, but its money well spent!!!.

Thanks for your inputs. After aakashr suggestion I am haggling with the local dealer for D550 (quoted at 72500 -> now reduced to 70500/the 2012 E550 at 80K while others here at the forum are quoting 72K). Thats still above my budget. Iam trying to pressure the dealer for more but from what I understand, he is not really interested and wants me to go for HD-Ready than this if its above my budget.

Moreover, he mentioned that there is only one piece available from one of his chain's stores in Chennai which he can have shipped for me. He assured me its not a display piece.

Still in a dilemma. Will waiting till the Olympics help drive prices down or offers?:sad:

The resolution for HDTV should be 1280x720p and the aspect ratio should be 1280/720= 16/9 = 1.78. That is matched with 1366x768 resolution panel display(16/9=1.78). But how the aspect ratio 16/9 will maintain through 1024x768 (1024/768 = 1.33) panel display resolution.

Rectangular pixels my friend.

Thanks for your inputs. After aakashr suggestion I am haggling with the local dealer for D550 (quoted at 72500 -> now reduced to 70500/the 2012 E550 at 80K while others here at the forum are quoting 72K). Thats still above my budget. Iam trying to pressure the dealer for more but from what I understand, he is not really interested and wants me to go for HD-Ready than this if its above my budget.

Moreover, he mentioned that there is only one piece available from one of his chain's stores in Chennai which he can have shipped for me. He assured me its not a display piece.

Still in a dilemma. Will waiting till the Olympics help drive prices down or offers?:sad:

Thats almost 10k more. You should try another dealer and please go for the "E" series. Negotiate for 70k.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

There is some new confusion after your inputs. The dealer came back with 74.5K for 51E550. But my sanity (or rather better half) put her foot down saying if I put 75K for a TV at this point of our lives only means I have gone mad. She maybe right. My maximum stretchable budget was 60K. That too it was stretchable after hectic convincing her.

60K is the new unbreakable 'bring-home the damned-Tv already' budget. 3K more allowance for airtel HD STB has been sanctioned.

So out goes 51E series of Samsung and in all likelihood 51D (2011) series as well.

I dropped to 43E490 for around 46K that am very much comfortable with. Here I thought i had a sealed deal for 43in. Then suddenly remembered the Panny 50X30D was available for 55K (still within my original budget). It has DLNA, USB and more importantly 50" as they plasmas 'shrink' faster than you would like.

I have a stark choice now. Its either Samsung 43E490 or Panasonic 50X30D.

I understand not many like X30 series. Am i going to regret my life for buying the 50X30D?

Since I cannot now afford anything over 60K, will I be better off downgrading to 42in and buying a Samsung 43E490 as many say Sammys make better low end plasmas? Rather than the 50in that the X30D brings?

Have to decide by the weekend.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Buying a TV is confusing enough. Buying without demoing can be terrifying. Dont try it from Home!

seems to be my take-home message and most likely going to be my signature.

There is some new confusion after your inputs. The dealer came back with 74.5K for 51E550. But my sanity (or rather better half) put her foot down saying if I put 75K for a TV at this point of our lives only means I have gone mad. She maybe right. My maximum stretchable budget was 60K. That too it was stretchable after hectic convincing her.

60K is the new unbreakable 'bring-home the damned-Tv already' budget. 3K more allowance for airtel HD STB has been sanctioned.

So out goes 51E series of Samsung and in all likelihood 51D (2011) series as well.

I dropped to 43E490 for around 46K that am very much comfortable with. Here I thought i had a sealed deal for 43in. Then suddenly remembered the Panny 50X30D was available for 55K (still within my original budget). It has DLNA, USB and more importantly 50" as they plasmas 'shrink' faster than you would like.

I understand not many like X30 series. Am i going to regret my life for buying the 50X30D?

Since I cannot now afford anything over 60K, will I be better off downgrading to 42in and buying a Samsung 43E490 as many say Sammys make better low end plasmas? Rather than the 50in that the X30D brings?

Have to decide by the weekend.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Buying a TV is confusing enough. Buying without demoing can be terrifying. Dont try it from Home!

seems to be my take-home message and most likely going to be my signature.

The Samsung PS51E470A1R comes under 60k...

Would suggest not to go with 50X30D, just because it has 1024x768 resolution at 50". At this resolution 42" and alike is ok. For larger sizes go for full HD.
There would be horrible pixelation at this resolution in a 50", unless you plan to sit really far away. But then, what's the point in buying such a big TV if you have to sit really far away and see it as a tiny TV.

Sanity has taken a back seat. I needed my 51 incher.

Have finally booked the PS51D550 with 2 free 3D glasses for 70.5K with the local dealer. Sure E series was only a whisker away but even this was a considerable stretch, so I am happy with myself that am getting a decent FHD 51incher which has generally positive reviews.

Should be delivered by the weekend. Will post pics by then.

Hi guys my friend purchased a ps51e490 with 2 free 3d glasses for rs.60000/-
here are some pics of unboxing and installation sorry for blurry pics am an amateur photographer, so please bear with me.
20120511143213.jpg

20120511143204.jpg

20120511143123.jpg

20120511143112.jpg

congrats bv_abhi, looks great. How is the SD performance on this?

On a side note, from the reflections in the pictures: I assume your sofa is less than 4-5 ft from the TV. Does watching SD/HD content in HD Ready make any pixelation or other issues at such close distances?

Meanwhile, my story of woes continues. Apparently after taking my order, the local dealer has run out of stock of 51D550 and is "trying" to get it "specially" for me. :mad:

If it isnt coming by this week, I may go for 51E490 instead of 51D550.

51D550 finally Delivered and Ready for unpacking! Got 2 3D glasses.

Checked at the shop via Service menu. Panel Display Time was 0 hrs. Vents were clean and the packaging was legit.

For stabilizer got Premier Multikonect 1kva.

Should be installed by tomorrow hopefully. :yahoo:

Attachments

• IMG_20120517_212028.jpg
    IMG_20120517_212028.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
51D550 finally Delivered and Ready for unpacking! Got 2 3D glasses.

Checked at the shop via Service menu. Panel Display Time was 0 hrs. Vents were clean and the packaging was legit.

For stabilizer got Premier Multikonect 1kva.

Should be installed by tomorrow hopefully. :yahoo:

congrats on the purchase.

Thanks CharanKumar and Chungs.

Initial Impressions:
Watched Hugo 720p and was blown away. More than happy with the PQ.

Initially was a bit apprehensive about it being too big but now feel its perfect for the room. In fact If I had had the dosh, would have gone for even bigger screen! :)

Samsung's AllShare is very limited, so have successfully managed to stream from my PC via LAN with DLNA through Serviio. No stutter issues with audio and it reads subtitles.

3D is ok only. Screen shrinks to half its true size when viewed through the glasses.

Reflections are as bad if not worse than my 10 year old CRT. But with heavy curtains that's manageable.

There is no buzzing so far. Have got a ferrite core along with the TV that I haven't put to use.

Last edited:
congrats bv_abhi, looks great. How is the SD performance on this?

On a side note, from the reflections in the pictures: I assume your sofa is less than 4-5 ft from the TV. Does watching SD/HD content in HD Ready make any pixelation or other issues at such close distances?

Meanwhile, my story of woes continues. Apparently after taking my order, the local dealer has run out of stock of 51D550 and is "trying" to get it "specially" for me. :mad:

If it isnt coming by this week, I may go for 51E490 instead of 51D550.

hi first of all i am sorry for late response as i am very busy with my schedules so couldn't check in.
The hall where the Tv is installed is around 10 ft and when i compare with my ps51d550 SD content looks normal and same when you view it in 5 ft distance.
As for HD content slight pix elation appears when you are near than 4 ft from tv but if you move away from tv it disappears
3d content is very bad according to me compared to my tv

My suggestion don't go for e490 Just step another 10 or 12 k for ps51e550 as it has more options and it is 1080p screen and better smarthub support etc

Sample Images:
1) At 5 Ft with Lights On.
at5ft-lightson.jpg

2) At 5 Ft with Lights Off.
at5ft-lightsoff.jpg

3) At 11 Ft with Lights On.
from11ft-lightson.jpg

4) At 11 Ft with Lights Off.
from11ft-lightsoff.jpg

5) One more at 5ft
lightsoff-Avatar.jpg

After living with the TV for 5 days.
1) The TV's audio is quite good. I would say more than sufficient for normal viewing.

2) Its addictive to watch BRRips/HDTV at 5 ft. I feel the screen is too small at 11ft. :p

3) Reflections. Reflections. Reflections. If you know/can control them, then buy this. Else you will be frustrated.

4) Airtel HD PQ is quite good but got screwed once by their infamous customer service already.

5) Serviio is pretty much flawless. Allshare is moody.

6) 3D as a whole is a bit meh.

7) Have been quite careful in keeping display settings under 50 for all parameters. Also for non widescreen channels, am using the zoom function. Have not had any IR issues even post IPL sessions. Though the thought is nagging the back of my mind.

8) Airtel and other DTHs should consider rotating their logo on the same channel. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back