Samsung 29" CRT - Cheating the public

gobble

Guys
I got a Samsung 29D650 TV sometime around 2011 a few months after it was launched. Until last week, I never measured it for size and assumed it was a 29" one. But something always bothered me because I grew up with a 29" TV since childhood, and something in the back of my mind told me it didn't feel large enough. I dismissed it all these years thinking when I was small it would have looked larger than life to me as a kid so it was just a trick of psychology.

Well.. since a long time now I have been yearning for a larger screen and hence a new TV, and last week I had a measuring tape in hand so decided to actually measure the diagonal and L x H and I was in for a shock! This TV marketed and sold by Samsung as a 29" CRT TV is actually a 27" CRT!!!

See the comparison chart - my measurements read exactly as the ones for a 27"!

d9jg.png

So it looks like I and all other customers of Samsung have been cheated by their fake claims and sold a smaller TV than what we pay for. Its 3 years later and probably too late for consumer court action - or is there some other kind of litigation I can do to make Samsung acknowledge their fraud and pay for it?

~G0bble

Well, it's not just Samsung if that's any comfort. Et tu Sony!

I took a tape measure to my Sony KV-SW292 and ... guess what .... 27" too. :mad:

Guys
I got a Samsung 29D650 TV sometime around 2011 a few months after it was launched. Until last week, I never measured it for size and assumed it was a 29" one. But something always bothered me because I grew up with a 29" TV since childhood, and something in the back of my mind told me it didn't feel large enough. I dismissed it all these years thinking when I was small it would have looked larger than life to me as a kid so it was just a trick of psychology.

Well.. since a long time now I have been yearning for a larger screen and hence a new TV, and last week I had a measuring tape in hand so decided to actually measure the diagonal and L x H and I was in for a shock! This TV marketed and sold by Samsung as a 29" CRT TV is actually a 27" CRT!!!

See the comparison chart - my measurements read exactly as the ones for a 27"!

d9jg.png

So it looks like I and all other customers of Samsung have been cheated by their fake claims and sold a smaller TV than what we pay for. Its 3 years later and probably too late for consumer court action - or is there some other kind of litigation I can do to make Samsung acknowledge their fraud and pay for it?

~G0bble

yes logically its cheating and they have been doing it for years but for the fact if you open the tv cabinet and then measure from glass end to another end it will be 28 inch + as companies measure even from the far end which do not give any output.

i can be wrong though but even for a flat screen or curved old screens there will be always some part of screen behind the plastics and yes customers are fooled.

so for a 29 inch as you mentioned the view area will be 27 or less..

yes, its not the screen area that is represented but it is an edge to edge diagonal representation of the entire picture tube itself. The same is with my Sony Wega Triniton 29 inch TV. It has a diagonal picture area of 26.5 inches and if you include the screen black border, the diagonal measurement reads 27.5 inches.

Haaarummph! That is gross misrepresentation by the manufacturers. Maybe I'll move to a 42" OLED or something.

G0bble

Well, it's not just Samsung if that's any comfort. Et tu Sony!

I took a tape measure to my Sony KV-SW292 and ... guess what .... 27" too. :mad:

What we are talking about is viewable area. Technically the companies may be correct and in some advertisements/specs they clearly used to mention the different measurements so that customers did not get the wrong impression. I do not know whether that was done in case of Samsung/Sony models mentioned in the thread

I checked my 42 inch LCD and you know what - maybe because of tape I found it is 42 1/16 Inches.........;)

I checked my 42 inch LCD and you know what - maybe because of tape I found it is 42 1/16 Inches.........;)

Are you sure you are not measuring something else in front of you? ;)
Psychology of desire can play tricks on the mind you know? :eek:hyeah: :D

More seriously, I think LCDs and flat panels will not have this divergence from viewing area and panel size. It has only been a CRT screen related issue traditionally.

~G0bble

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back