Samsung 40B650 spotted in Singapore - S$1,299

anandk

Greetings members. I am a newbie and this is my first post. I am currently in Spore on holiday. I happened to come across a Sammy 40" B650 in one of the Courts outlet. It is a display piece and is up for grabs at S$ 1299 (approx INR 44K). The price is def attractive. Is it worth going for the same? Areas of concern are dont know how long its been in the showroom and running. The display looks pretty much ok. no scratches, damages evident externally.
Also, does anyone have any idea whats the Customs duty to be paid in India? My understanding is it is the cost - 25K (basic exemption) and then the % of duty. Let me know.
The prices of other models are quite attractive.
Also saw a Panny v20 running Avatar blue ray. Awesome is not the word, unreal picture quality! Totally floored.

A display piece is as good as buying a second hand 44k isn't that great of deal,one can get a newer equivalent sony 40'' EX500 for 55k in indian grey market.So get newer 2010 lcd,rather then a used 2009 lcd.
I have seen many people bringing 40'' sized sony lcds.

thanks Adder for ur comments....am going to Harvey Norman tom to check on other models and prices. will update this forum accordingly.

Also, does anyone have any idea whats the Customs duty to be paid in India? My understanding is it is the cost - 25K (basic exemption) and then the % of duty. Let me know.

Hi Anand,

yes the duty free exemption is about 25K INR. However, whichever product you buy, the duty is calculated based on its MSRP in India (not discounted prices). In principle, the duty will be calculated as

35% of (Indian MSRP of product - Rs. 25,000 exemption)

So if the sale price of TV you're bringing in India is Rs. 60,000, your duty will be 35% of 35,000 which will be Rs. 12250. However, you may be able to pay much less or nothing depending on your "skills".

When I traveled to Chennai about five weeks back, I took home a Sony 40EX400 40 inch LCD TV whose MSRP in India is around Rs. 63,000. I paid a duty of Rs. 3,000 and was handled in the most friendly fashion by customs officers;)

Greetings members. I am a newbie and this is my first post. I am currently in Spore on holiday. I happened to come across a Sammy 40" B650 in one of the Courts outlet. It is a display piece and is up for grabs at S$ 1299 (approx INR 44K). The price is def attractive. Is it worth going for the same? Areas of concern are dont know how long its been in the showroom and running. The display looks pretty much ok. no scratches, damages evident externally.
The prices of other models are quite attractive.
Also saw a Panny v20 running Avatar blue ray. Awesome is not the word, unreal picture quality! Totally floored.

How much was the Panny V20 for? unreal picture quality? i hope its a positive sign

Updates: Samsung 40B650 spotted in Singapore - S$1,299

Hi, yes Panny V20 is an absolute treat to the eyes. The panel, design and display is fantastic. It costs S$ 1,899 here. They dont stock the other nodels like the G and S series since they are apparantly discontinued. On display in all showrooms are only the V and D series.
The prices of Sony models are:
40"BX400: S$1099
40"EX400: S$1299

Prices are real attractive on most brands, Toshiba being the lowest. But all models have only local warranty.

Check out the Philips range of TV's at Courts and Best Denki in Singapore definately better then Sammy and Sony.

Also do compare prices at Mustaffa before purchasing.

Remeber to collect the 7% GST tax free rebate while purchasing your TV so that you can collect cash at the airport.

Spiderman

Check out the Philips range of TV's at Courts and Best Denki in Singapore definately better then Sammy and Sony.

Also do compare prices at Mustaffa before purchasing.

Remeber to collect the 7% GST tax free rebate while purchasing your TV so that you can collect cash at the airport.

Spiderman

Any specific reasons why the philips are better vs sammy/sony.

Hi Guys, do these LCD's come with International warranty. If not is it worth getting it from Singapore for 5k price difference?

Hi Guys, do these LCD's come with International warranty. If not is it worth getting it from Singapore for 5k price difference?

No they don't come with international warranty.Well if the difference is only 5k,then perhaps not.

A 5k price difference is just not worth carrying the TV all the way from Singapore. Specially when you consider, no warranty or installation which will be free in India. Also, you are running the risk of damage during transportation and also excess baggage costs that will probably apply. In fact my guess is you would end up paying more than what you would pay in India for the same TV.

Hi guys. i retruned to India without getting a TV :sad:
Decided to buy it here itself. The price difference is definitely much more thatn 5K. the Sony 40" BX400 is retailing for S$999 which is approx INR 34,000. But I do feel that we will end up paying for Customs, installation and warranty here. I was also exceeding my baggage limits thanks to my wife's shopping :mad:
But the interesting thing was to see the sheer number of people getting 40" LCDs from Sngpore to India. At the Changi airport I could easily spot quite a few of them and also at the GST counter. Sony seems to be the fav followed by Samsung.
Anyways will keep this forum updated. Will buy my set once I clear my credit card bills!!! Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions.

approx how much a 32" cost in sgpore example sony ex500 or nx500. They r here for 39k and 43k right. 32" probably might not attract high customs thanks

Hi Vinod,

sorry for the delay in reply...32" TVs were in the range of SGD 699 to 899, which approx varies between 24K to 32K.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back