Samsung Disappointment (UA40D5500RR)

manukr

18 months ago, I researched the heck out finding a good 40" screen LED TV. I have always been a fan of Samsung and found that, at the time, the UA40D5500RR was getting rave reviews for picture quality. I searched around for the best price and I pulled the trigger. The reviews were correct, the picture quality is incredible. I wish that all was well one year and a few months later (out of warranty, of course).

Over the last few weeks, a really strange thing has started happening. When I turned on the TV, everything works fine, but after 15-20 minutes overlapping of image starts happening in the upper half of the screen while bottom half screen shows image without any problem. This problem also gets to resolve automatically after couple of minutes.This happens repeatedly though.

However, the problem has become more frequent and persistent recently. When the overlapping does not get resolved automatically, the only way to get rid of it is to grab one Top corner of the TV and pull it out (flexing it) or squeeze the Bezel.

Ghosting Image:

Image after pulling out top left corner of TV

I contacted Samsung Customer Care and the Technician showed up yesterday, he did not even care to open the screws of TV and straight away said that this is a Panel problem and the same needs to be replaced. The new panel will costs 70% of the original TV price.

Since this problem does not happen as soon as I switch on the TV and also this gets resolved automatically couple of times. I am not sure whether this really is a Panel problem or the Samsung Technician was lazy to do his work and this may really be a Board problem???

Appreciate if I could get some help.

Last edited:
Shameful that such a thing can ever happen to a tv. Never heard of such a crazy problem.
And a shameful service.
Samsung should just change the panel for free and go back to their design sheets.

I think u shud escalate the matter to samsung higherups... Ask them to ensure they send a good technician... And if possible get the email address of sr. technician and share them the post shared by frnd here.and let them study and come prepared...u just need to keep patience and keep the follow up... I am sure it will be fixed...

Hi,
Did you got any solution for this problem. I too have the same model and and same issue. (bottom half shows fine, upper half shows ghost image). In my case the Samsung technician, didn't even care to come home on hearing the problem on phone. He straight away said that it is a panel problem and costs around 25k including labor charges.

This is one of the pathetic service & a product to see from Samsung.

Has this issue got fixed.

I am having same model and same problem and of course same response from samsung technician.

I am afraid to change the TV for this issue. (which is less than 2 years old).

Very sad :( must be heart broken.

Call Samsung service center and tell them technician was too lazy and very unprofessional and he did not even touch the panel
Request for another experienced technician if possible.

Post this issue in mouthshut.com and some other online complaints boards.

Finally get the quotation for extended warranty.. don't tell them about your problem at the time of signing up for extended warranty.

All the best :)

Shrey7,

I guess not everyone will give extended warranty, corma and reliance does that, is there a way we can get it directly from samsung ?

The fault could be in the ribbon cable,or the solder welds have become loose.While this can be fixed,i don't think the service centers in india are capable of doing it,these days they just replace the entire component.

Shrey7,

I guess not everyone will give extended warranty, corma and reliance does that, is there a way we can get it directly from samsung ?

Don't fall for croma or relaince warranty.. you will have a headache dealing with them again.

Call Samsung and tell them that you are interested in extended warranty.. do mention that you are out of warranty, they may charge you extra but you may get a warranty i guess. I am not sure but give it a try :eek:hyeah:

Don't fall for croma or relaince warranty.. you will have a headache dealing with them again.

Call Samsung and tell them that you are interested in extended warranty.. do mention that you are out of warranty, they may charge you extra but you may get a warranty i guess. I am not sure but give it a try :eek:hyeah:
Yeah you are right,

Croma and Reliance warranty is not at all good..its a waste of money.. Am feeling pity on myself everyday for buying something from Reliance Digital.. :(

Yeah ill give a try with samsung.. Thanks mate.

Yeah you are right,

Croma and Reliance warranty is not at all good..its a waste of money.. Am feeling pity on myself everyday for buying something from Reliance Digital.. :(

Yeah ill give a try with samsung.. Thanks mate.

Your welcome.. keep us posted. so it will help others and they will know what to do if they go through same issue ;)

The reason i stopped even looking at anything that has Samsung printed on it, the success has gone in there heads, and all there divisions are churning out bad products, all they are focused is on advertising.

Hope this gets fixed for you soon.

Doesn't look like a panel problem if picture looks fine after flexing the TV. I wonder if the plastic bezel casing of the TV that's gone out of shape, distorting the LCD panel. Or maybe LCD panel itself gone out of shape?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back