Samsung la40b650 Vs Sony KLV-40W550A Vs Lg 42LH60YR

AnandR

Hello, I am finding hard to narrow down to one model. I read most of the discussions and now I know more details/experiences of each of these models, and it is making much hard to make a decision.

I almost narrowed down to samsung LA40B650T1R because of the USB Moves, and the wide variety of formats supported, DLNA link, net TV, and 75k. But I read "panel lottery thing" from the forum discussions and it is making me back off.

Question: In case I get bad panel, how bad it is, Is it some thing to do with picture quality or build quality or durability.

Sony seem to be good, except for it can play only limited movie formats, and no net TV. But probably better PQ than samsung because of Bravia Engine 2 / 3. Also KLV-40W450A with engine 2 is expensive than 40W550A. I did not understand why?

Sony is expensive and not comparable with features of samsung.

3rd Option is LG 42LH60yr, very tempting from technical front( 200 HZ, 1,50,000 dynamic contrast ration ) and for 80k.
But it appears LG is not as recommend as Sony/Samsung.

Please advice, I want to buy this Diwali. Also I am open to consider other models.

Bottom line for me is good PQ, and at reasonable prize.

Sony seem to be good, except for it can play only limited movie formats, and no net TV. But probably better PQ than samsung because of Bravia Engine 2 / 3. Also KLV-40W450A with engine 2 is expensive than 40W550A. I did not understand why?

40W550A uses an updated panel and has improved CCFL backlighting. This combined with BE3 gives better PQ. Also power consumption is lower than 40W450A. Probably Sony is keeping the same price for 40W450A due to historical reasons. Do not go for 450A now.

40W550A uses an updated panel and has improved CCFL backlighting. This combined with BE3 gives better PQ. Also power consumption is lower than 40W450A. Probably Sony is keeping the same price for 40W450A due to historical reasons. Do not go for 450A now.

Understanding is that the SONY 40W550, 40V550 & 40S550 all use the exact same 'updated' panels. Is this correct?

Hello, I am finding hard to narrow down to one model. I read most of the discussions and now I know more details/experiences of each of these models, and it is making much hard to make a decision.

I almost narrowed down to samsung LA40B650T1R because of the USB Moves, and the wide variety of formats supported, DLNA link, net TV, and 75k. But I read "panel lottery thing" from the forum discussions and it is making me back off.

Question: In case I get bad panel, how bad it is, Is it some thing to do with picture quality or build quality or durability.

3rd Option is LG 42LH60yr, very tempting from technical front( 200 HZ, 1,50,000 dynamic contrast ration ) and for 80k.

Please advice, I want to buy this Diwali. Also I am open to consider other models.

u could add LG LH90 to the mix.. has got great reviews everywhere and could be available for anywhere between 70-80k..

Understanding is that the SONY 40W550, 40V550 & 40S550 all use the exact same 'updated' panels. Is this correct?

no they don't,if u look at the W550A it still has more detail in shadow region and better blacks possibly a SPVA panel vs a lower spec AMVA in S and V series which has a better viewing angle,with less contrast shift when u look at the sides.do note the last years 40" Z450A has a higher spec AMVA which still churns out more detail then the 40W550A and has better viewing angle.

no they don't,if u look at the W550A it still has more detail in shadow region and better blacks possibly a SPVA panel vs a lower spec AMVA in S and V series which has a better viewing angle,with less contrast shift when u look at the sides.do note the last years 40" Z450A has a higher spec AMVA which still churns out more detail then the 40W550A and has better viewing angle.

Strange, since the 2 SONY Center stores that I visited in 2 different cities in the last weeks, said the EXACT same thing - ALL 40" S, V & W series use S-PVA panels. I asked them specifically about AMVA panels and both store people said nothing about AMVA panels. Wish there was some way to verify (other than the magnifying glass trick you mentioned in earlier threads).

So are you suggesting that the 20K difference between 40V550 (70K) and 40W550 (90K) may be worth it, since not only the W series has 100Hz, but also has a slightly better panel than the V series?

Strange, since the 2 SONY Center stores that I visited in 2 different cities in the last weeks, said the EXACT same thing - ALL 40" S, V & W series use S-PVA panels. I asked them specifically about AMVA panels and both store people said nothing about AMVA panels. Wish there was some way to verify (other than the magnifying glass trick you mentioned in earlier threads).

So are you suggesting that the 20K difference between 40V550 (70K) and 40W550 (90K) may be worth it, since not only the W series has 100Hz, but also has a slightly better panel than the V series?

well is the W series better definetly,but 20k difference personaly 10k would have done justice IMO.
the dealers don't know anything about lcd panel tech,asking them is waste of time since they obtain the info only by the brochures or by attending a product demo by the company which rarely they do.

well the bezel is different,the panel with probably different color filter and backlight,motion flow.
apart from the previous said performance benefits.

Are you sure about "DLNA link" and "net TV"? I don't see an Ethernet port on this TV.

Well I'm almost in the same dilemma...

I think if you want to go by
Brand + PQ -- then Sony
Price + PQ + Plethora of connectivity / features -- then LG
Price + Brand + Limited connectivity options - Samsung

:yahoo:

BTW... one questions -- for watching SD content which of the above TV's peform best??? :rolleyes:

Well I'm almost in the same dilemma...

I think if you want to go by
Brand + PQ -- then Sony
Price + PQ + Plethora of connectivity / features -- then LG
Price + Brand + Limited connectivity options - Samsung

:yahoo:

BTW... one questions -- for watching SD content which of the above TV's peform best??? :rolleyes:

The SONYs with Bravia Engine 3 (BE3) is supposed to upscale SD signals best is what many on this forum say.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back