Samsung LA40B750U1R vs LA40B650T1R

arvi

I'm looking at finally upgrading my clunker of a CRT television for a LCD. I went to about 4 shops here (in Bangalore) and none of them had both the Series 6 and Series 7 side by side for me to compare.

Is the Series 7 worth the extra 20,000Rs? I was quoted between 75-80k for the LA40B650T1R and 95k-100k for LA40B750U1R.

The specs (on the Samsung India site) for both series seem very similar. I've been reading comparisons on the web and can't really tell whether the difference in price is evident in picture quality or in the bells and whistles that are in the TV.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm looking at finally upgrading my clunker of a CRT television for a LCD. I went to about 4 shops here (in Bangalore) and none of them had both the Series 6 and Series 7 side by side for me to compare.

Is the Series 7 worth the extra 20,000Rs? I was quoted between 75-80k for the LA40B650T1R and 95k-100k for LA40B750U1R.

The specs (on the Samsung India site) for both series seem very similar. I've been reading comparisons on the web and can't really tell whether the difference in price is evident in picture quality or in the bells and whistles that are in the TV.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

The b750 is conisdered to have deeper blacks and was voted by many sites a s one of the best LCD of all time notably for an excellent uniform screen and deeper blacks . Viewing angles are also slightly better on the b750.The B750 provides a full 1080 lines of motion resolution compared to 650 for the B650. However it may be unlikely that you would see these differences in showrooms even in a side by side comparison. For reviews you could use the following links. Both are excellent for TV reviews

Best 5 HDTVs: Picture quality - CNET Reviews
HDTV Reviews – LCD TV & Plasma Television Display Rating

By the way which shops in Bangalore did you visit? Were you able to get the B750 on display? I have been looking at the 46 inch version of this model for quite some time now. I was quoted a price of 107000 for it and was told there is stock. But for my satisfaction i would prefer to have a look at a display before making a purchase.

Last edited:
well the viewing angles,black levels and even colors all vary in samsung lcds even if they are of the same model.u may find a B650 with better blacks then the B750.the review samples given to popular review sites are usualy cherry picked.
so the only advantage the B750 series have is the 200hz which helps in reducing judder in 24p movies and also more fluidty in fast action scenes.it may or may not have good blacks,viewing angles depending on the panel.again all the panels still have realy good blacks more then IPS based lcds and many plasmas,but the SPVA panels do have a high input lag.

I am also in the same process of moving from my 29 inch CRT to 40 inch LCD.

I also have Airtel DTH connection.

I had been Devi International last Sat looking for b650 (after reading good reviews) about it. But they did not had it in demo (they had A650). Instead of b650 (he quoted the price around 80 K for that) he was pushing for b6000. Seems like they want to sell more of thier LED (LED/LCD) than push the latest models of LCD!!!

So I am now confused as to which one I should go for?

b650 / b750 / b6000 / b7000

Also, I am thinking should I wait till Diwali, as there might be some more discounts around that period??

I am also in the same process of moving from my 29 inch CRT to 40 inch LCD.

I also have Airtel DTH connection.

I had been Devi International last Sat looking for b650 (after reading good reviews) about it. But they did not had it in demo (they had A650). Instead of b650 (he quoted the price around 80 K for that) he was pushing for b6000. Seems like they want to sell more of thier LED (LED/LCD) than push the latest models of LCD!!!

So I am now confused as to which one I should go for?

b650 / b750 / b6000 / b7000

Also, I am thinking should I wait till Diwali, as there might be some more discounts around that period??

well get B650 or B750 in terms of performance/VFM.

As said in an earlier post the defects of the LED TVs are more in number than the LCD series(deep but innaaccurate blacks,flashlighting at corners,flickering)
You are definitely better off with the LCDs in terms of overall picture quality
Yes review sites generally test the cream of all panels for all models whether the b750 or the B650. And the best b750 definitely is better off than the B650.

Last edited:
In relation to the panels used Samsung use 3 major panels in their TVs(CMO,AMVA and SPVA). The SPVA is considered better than the AMVA which is considered better than the CMO. However there was something interesting about the B750 panels in the AVS forums. The owners of the B750
40 inch B750s had a mix of SPVA and CMO panels.
46 inch B750s however had a mix of AUO and SPVA panels and hardly any CMO panels
52 inch B750s. I did not notice anybody mention about a CMO panel in this size.
On the B650 there seemed to be a number of owners with CMO panels in the 55 inch and 40 inch category. I do not however remember anything about the 46 inch TVs.
Samsung seems to have incorporated more of AMVA panels in the 46inch category.From the above it seems that CMO does not actually sell/probably make 52 inch TVs. category. Proof of this comes from the following link posted by an AVS forum member

http://www.tuvdotcom.com/pi/web/Det...&strProdID=418004&strTUVdotCOMID=0&type=Mname

So if the above is true you may indeed end up getting a better panel with the B750 if you are looking at bigger sizes. However the 52 inch is not available in India.
Also viewing angles have been found to be horrible across the B650 range including the SPVA panels. I am not going to confuse you any further or promote any particular model but i would definitely suggest staying out of the LED mania.

Last edited:
THanks for your input.

I think , am almost now decided on b750... and will stay from the LED/LCD. Also LED/LCD has been there just for few months, where as LCD have there bit longer and more mature.

Now coming to the size, I have a viewing distance of around 12-15 feet. For this is 40 inch better / 46 one is better?

With that distance a 40 inch will be a bit small. You are definitely better off with the 46 inch.
Also i think the price difference between the two sizes may only be around 10k looking at Arvi's post. I know the 46 inch costs 107000 because i was interested in buying one.

THanks for your input.

I think , am almost now decided on b750... and will stay from the LED/LCD. Also LED/LCD has been there just for few months, where as LCD have there bit longer and more mature.

Now coming to the size, I have a viewing distance of around 12-15 feet. For this is 40 inch better / 46 one is better?

well obviously 46inch lcd ,but no harm done in going for a 40inch since u are upgrading from a 29inch(actualy 28inch),again choosing the size of the tv is subjective.

@Gfreeman: Sorry for the delayed reply. None of the shops I went to (Girias, Viveks, Unilet) had a Series 7 LCD TV on display although they all said there is stock and they could get it. I called many of the dealers listed at LA46B750U1R LCD TV - Television SAMSUNG but none of them had Series 7 in the store on display.

I believe Reliance Digital on Cunningham Road has the LED models for Series 7 (and Series 6).

I plan on doing another round of hunting/price bargaining this week and will post if I see a Series 7.

Thanks adder and Gfreeman.

@Gfreeman: Was 107000 the price you were quoted for 46" Series 6?

Salesmen at two shops (Unilet, Ezone) that I visited today said that Series 7 LCD models are unavailable in Bangalore (even against order). According to them, Samsung is pushing the LED models and therefore the availability/stock of Series 7 and Series 6 LCD models are low/non-existent (in Bangalore).

Salesmen at two shops (Unilet, Ezone) that I visited today said that Series 7 LCD models are unavailable in Bangalore (even against order). According to them, Samsung is pushing the LED models and therefore the availability/stock of Series 7 and Series 6 LCD models are low/non-existent (in Bangalore).

I got a similar response from Reliance Digital about a week ago, when asked for LA 40B650. Said that they did not stock this LCD. When asked why, did not get a very clear response since probably even the sales guy did not have an answer. Instead, he said, why not go for the SAMSUNG 40" 6 series LEDs? His point was that, pricewise, the 40" 6 series LED was only slightly more 10K?? +- than the LA 40B650. He did not quote a figure for the SAMSUNG 40" 6 series LED, but indicated price of around 85K - 90K. So, looks like LED LCDs are being encouraged to customers.

Thanks for your response and the link on sizing up the tv screen,

I had been Adhishwar in Jayanagar on Sat.

He too did not had stock of b750. But per me I think the price he is quoting is very high.

He quoted for 46b650 - 96 K, 46b750 - 1,22 L and 40b750 - 1,03 L

I am thinking of 46b750 now, but the prices quoted is definitely high...

Last edited:
Thanks for your response and the link on sizing up the tv screen,

I had been Adhishwar in Jayanagar on Sat.

He too did not had stock of b750. But per me I think the price he is quoting is very high.

He quoted for 46b650 - 96 K, 46b750 - 1,22 L and 40b750 - 1,03 L

I am thinking of 46b750 now, but the prices quoted is definitely high...

The Adishwar stores i visited have all been ridiculously expensive. Girias is offering the 46 inch b750 for 107000. Pai is quoting around 108000 and many other dealers like Kundan for 110000.

The 107000 is for the 46 inch b750 quoted by Girias. Unilet Indiranagar told me the same initially. The following week when i made a visit again they said they could deliver it in a day( not sure if they said this just because a second visit by me probably meant i was really serious about buying one)
Ezone will never have ready stock of any TV. A lot of forum members here have complained of 2 week delivery periods from them.
It is advisable to check out delivery times at Pai and Girias probably.

@deepakb: 46b650 - 96 K seems high. Girias (Domlur/Inner Ring Road) quoted 92k for this. Girias seems to have the best prices.

Girias also said that one of their customers has been waiting more than a month for Samsung to get them a B750 TV that they had ordered. They wouldn't quote me a price for the B750 because they said that they don't know when they can deliver it.

Thanks for confirming the price range.

I was also going through b750 thread in AVForums.com Home. From what I could gather after going through the entire thread is that

1) 200 hz feature doesn't really work, infact many of them have disabled that to get a better picture motion

2) Overall only additional functionality over b650 probably ins Internet@TV as part of Series 7

3) Other than this there could be marginal improvement in PQ and viewing angles.

So considering this, is it worth paying 15-18 K extra for b750 or better to go with b650...

Thanks for confirming the price range.

I was also going through b750 thread in AVForums.com Home. From what I could gather after going through the entire thread is that

1) 200 hz feature doesn't really work, infact many of them have disabled that to get a better picture motion

2) Overall only additional functionality over b650 probably ins Internet@TV as part of Series 7

3) Other than this there could be marginal improvement in PQ and viewing angles.

So considering this, is it worth paying 15-18 K extra for b750 or better to go with b650...

the 200hz improves motion resolution whether one can notice the increased motion resolution is subjective.it does give u a sharper crisper look in animated movies and movies and computer rendered scenes ,also in games,but samsung has a high input lag so turning them off is recommended for games.
the viewing angles,contrast,colors may be better in B650 and may be worst in B750 or vice versa depending on the panel u get in the tv.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back