Samsung LCD Model LA40B530 - Reviews?

avenger1976

All,

After a LOT of due diligence and research, I have narrowed down my choices of the Living Room TV to a Samsung 40" LCD. So, here I am, trying to pick between a 40B650 and a 40B530.

I am getting the 40B650 for 71K, without any frills/freebies in Bangalore.
I am also being offered an unopened 40B530 for 47K (from an acquaintance).

I am torn between the two. 40B650 seems like a "right" choice, considering that it is a newer technology, 100Hz Motion Plus and a newer tube with the Samsung Crystal Engine, DLNA, USB 2.0 Movie - USB multimedia player, etc...

But the 40B530 seems like a more "sane" choice, mainly because of the HUGE price difference I am getting. However, I am unable to make the decision in its favour, as I have seen atleast one bad review (although it was aw manufacturing issue) about this TV. Hence, I am requesting for specific reviews about this model, so that I can make the informed choice.

Any help in the decision making will be great :)

Here are my parameters:

* 10-14 ft viewing distance
* Living Room TV with a lot of sunlight (which of course can be moderated)
* Majority of viewing will be SD Cable signal from a Set Top Box
* about 10-15% XBOX gaming
* I have a decent collection of movies on my HD, and hence would prefer a TV that can play directly from the HD, rather than an additional investment in a externdal DVD player (the need for which I dont see right now).

Thanks in advance
~Praveen

Last edited:
All,

After a LOT of due diligence and research, I have narrowed down my choices of the Living Room TV to a Samsung 40" LCD. So, here I am, trying to pick between a 40B650 and a 40B530.

I am getting the 40B650 for 71K, without any frills/freebies in Bangalore.
I am also being offered an unopened 40B530 for 47K (from an acquaintance).

I am torn between the two. 40B650 seems like a "right" choice, considering that it is a newer technology, 100Hz Motion Plus and a newer tube with the Samsung Crystal Engine, DLNA, USB 2.0 Movie - USB multimedia player, etc...

But the 40B530 seems like a more "sane" choice, mainly because of the HUGE price difference I am getting. However, I am unable to make the decision in its favour, as I have seen atleast one bad review (although it was aw manufacturing issue) about this TV. Hence, I am requesting for specific reviews about this model, so that I can make the informed choice.

Any help in the decision making will be great :)

Here are my parameters:

* 10-14 ft viewing distance
* Living Room TV with a lot of sunlight (which of course can be moderated)
* Majority of viewing will be SD Cable signal from a Set Top Box
* about 10-15% XBOX gaming
* I have a decent collection of movies on my HD, and hence would prefer a TV that can play directly from the HD, rather than an additional investment in a externdal DVD player (the need for which I dont see right now).

Thanks in advance
~Praveen

Here's a review of the 550. Don't know what the difference is between the 550 and 530, though i suspect it'll not be major.

Samsung LE40B550 - 40in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

This link has info on how to make videos run on the B550 using a service menu tweak. Again, can't say if this can also be done on the 530. You can go through the link to see if this question is addressed there.

SAMSUNG B550 - How to enable MKV & DIVX/XVID playback - AVForums.com

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back