Samsung Or Sony

The Digital Media Port is quite pointless, and please do not make the mistake of buying a Sony V series over a Samsung 5 or 6 series.....the Samsung 5 and 6 are Full HD while the V series is HD Ready. The V series is identical to the S series, except that it looks less crappy, and has this "digital media port".

The model I shortlisted 40400A is full HD and not HD ready. These are new TVs from Sony which advertise that 2 million pixels thing. I guess I will wait for sometime.

All three are very very good brands making very good televisions....Sony and Samsung are known to have an advantage in contrast levels, whereas the Panasonic is known to have an advantage in colour reproduction....in the 2007 line-up the panasonics were noticeably superior to sony and samsung....that gap has been bridged, if not entirely, at least for the most part by the 2008 line-up from Sony and Samsung, whereas Panasonic has not shown a commensurate improvement, so now in terms of quality, all are comparable, and the best part is that you won't regret going for any of them. Compare them by playing stuff over HDMI if you can, that's the best test. Also test Tata Sky using composite, and see how the scaler on the TV handles that compressed mess of a picture that the Tata Sky STB puts out....

Thanks for information.

There are two think I wld like to know.

In samsung- 32in series 5 & 6,Samsung has Full HD,24 true cinema but they
are only 50 Hzs.

Whereas Panasonic LX800 is 100Hzs,it can play 24 pic but not full HD.
In Pan manual,24 frm play & 24 frm true pic are the two ways
of playing Blue ray.

LX800 has 24 playback not the true one.I dont understand
the term.Is it bcos its not full HD, but can accept 1080p?

Secondly dealer told me upscaling can be done only from HDMI
connection only.Tatasky which was already playing through
composite can notbe upscaled by both TVs.So are those both
capable of upscaling composite signal to HD?

I even read some where 800 has native resolution of 720p.So will
1080p be downscaled to 720p?What abt samsung?

So personally I liked Pan but not full HD & sam full HD but 50 Hz.
Sam can play 24 true pic,pan can accept but dont know what
it meens.

So looking at future Blueray which will be better buy?
(considering 100Hz over Full HD and 24 pic for 32in only)

Pls. guide.

Last edited:
Hi Anand,

I wld like to ask you abt upscaling with your set.
Do it upscale DVD player connected through composite ?ie without
connecting HDMI?

I have not tried the direct connection of DVD player to TV without HDMI, so might not be able to answer that. After the techies installed my whole system, there exists a jungle of wires behind and have not ventured into it. However, for Tata Sky, connecting it via HDMI through AVR (705) does make a positive difference, though not as good as a DVD picture quality.
The DVD upconversion is awesome. I use a Cambridge Audio DV 99 player.

The Digital Media Port is quite pointless, and please do not make the mistake of buying a Sony V series over a Samsung 5 or 6 series.....the Samsung 5 and 6 are Full HD while the V series is HD Ready. The V series is identical to the S series, except that it looks less crappy, and has this "digital media port".

Bravia Sync is actually SOny's name for a feature that is available on all(?) HDMI CEC compliant devices. Essentially it can transmit remote commands over HDMI... For instance I use the remote control of my Sony DVD player to control my Samsung Plasma...limited functionality, but it's useful. There's no need to buy your DVD player and display froom the same manufacturer if both are CEC compliant.

10 days is nothing much for an investment like this. Your patience will be rewarded.

dude what are u talking about sony V400a series is FHD panel,other difference is sony V series is that they use a different backlight compared to S series and S400a series is also a FHD RV:p

I have a Bravia 40W400 in the living room and a Samsung 22A450 in the bedroom so can comment a fair bit about the service.

I'll begin with the Samsung ... order placed and the dealer delivered it the next day. I had told him that I need it wall mounted and he mentioned that it's the Samsung guys who do that and they'll drop in the very next day. Next day ... nothing ...! Started chasing the Sammy guys ... will come today saar ... tomorrow saar ... blah blah ... finally showed up 7 days after the LCD arrived. 7 days might not be long for some but the headache was too much!

Sony ... ordered on day 1, dealer delivered on next day morning. Sony guy is at home the same evening as promised. Wall mounts it the same night. No call, no follow up, no headache. That made a huge difference to me.

Some might say that it's just one instance, but I could make another comparison - my Sony digicam & Sammy microwave. I had Sony calling me check if I wanted a demo of their camera after it was delivered?? I of course, did not want one coz it was a simple camera. Samsung ... demo ... what?

Specs are one side of the story ... very important I agree. But consider the other aspects as well.

Cheers!

in the 2007 line-up the panasonics were noticeably superior to sony and samsung....that gap has been bridged, if not entirely, at least for the most part by the 2008 line-up from Sony and Samsung, whereas Panasonic has not shown a commensurate improvement, so now in terms of quality, all are comparable, and the best part is that you won't regret going for any of them. Compare them by playing stuff over HDMI if you can, that's the best test. Also test Tata Sky using composite, and see how the scaler on the TV handles that compressed mess of a picture that the Tata Sky STB puts out....

dude on what u mean panasonic is superior take a look at these links,
this is the last years model 32inch 70 series from panasonic last years model it gets the Qualified Recommended Award.
Conclusion Of Panasonic TX32LXD70 Review

this is the sony KDL-32D3000 this is also last years model.the sony gets the HIGLY RECOMMENDED AWARD:p
Sony KDL32D3000 Review – HDTV Test Conclusion

here is the link for the sony KDL-40W3000 last years model
Sony KDL40W3000 Review Final Verdict: Highly Recommendedagain is the best lcd out there and even better is the sony X series.:p

and in this link its sony which again is the leader in 32inch segment.:p
Product Survey: 30'' to 39'' TVs - DigitalVersus

and in this link the sony and samsung new series 8 models are the leaders in 40inch lcd segment .
Product Survey: 40'' to 49'' TVs - DigitalVersus

Last edited:
There are two think I wld like to know.
In samsung- 32in series 5 & 6,Samsung has Full HD,24 true cinema but they are only 50 Hzs.

Spirovious,

You have thrown a lot of different specs and terminology together and got confused in the process. So let us try to understand the terminology, and how they are relevant.

spirovious said:
Whereas Panasonic LX800 is 100Hzs,it can play 24 pic but not full HD. In Pan manual,24 frm play & 24 frm true pic are the two ways of playing Blue ray. LX800 has 24 playback not the true one.I dont understand the term.Is it bcos its not full HD, but can accept 1080p?

First the Panasonic LX 800 is 1,366 x 768-pixel resolution. This cannot display 1080p (Full HD) under any circumstance. If you want a Full HD display you have to get a TV that has 1920x1080 pixel screen. This is irrespective of every other specification, and whether you connect it to a Blu-Ray or not.

24P

Now coming to 24. You have used many terms here - 24 pic, 24frm, 24 true pic, 24 playback.... etc.

The correct terms are 24p and 24fps (FRAMES PER SECOND).

24fps comes from movies that you see in cinema hassle. These are shot on film rolls that are moved across a projector to display motion. Each frame has a slightly different still photograph from the previous frame that is an indication of motion. The projector moves the reel across the light source and lens at the rate of 24 frames for every one second. When these still pictures are projected on the screen at that speed, your eyes see that as motion. Now a film is also called progressive scanning as each still picture fills the entire frame. This is called progressive source. This means that the frame rate is the number of individual full pictures. In the came of film this is exactly 24.

When a movie is converted to DVD, it is always stored as 24 frames per second.

Now a TV system works in a completely different fashion. Basically there are two systems - NTSC and PAL and both these systems are based upon the CRT. In a CRT, an image is displayed by scanning a electron beam across the screen. Each frame of a film is broken into two halves called FIELDS. The CRT first scans even numbered lines such a 1,2,4,6 and so on. It thus forms half an image. It then scans the odd numbered lines such a 3,5,6,7, and so on to form the second half of the image. These two half images are interleaved or interlaced to form the full image.

Since a TV display technology forms two half images and then interlaces them to form a full frame, it is called interlacing. So all TV displays have two aspects - scanning lines and frame rate, The field rate is always double the frame rate.

NTSC uses a Frame consisting of 486 horizontal lines in the active area and a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second (fps). The frame is interlaced, meaning it's composed of two individual fields with a Field rate of 59.94fps, usually referred to as 60fps. (fields per second)

The PAL (Phase Alternating Line) TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's in Europe. It has better resolution than NTSC, having 576 lines in the active area of the frame. The frame rate is 25fps, much closer to the 24 fps frame rate of a reel film.

Now when you take a film standard at 24 fps whi9ch is progressively scanned, it can never be displayed on either NTSC or PAL directly. So the frame rate is converted.

In NTSC, the conversion is done by periodically playing a selected frame twice. The difference in frame rates can be corrected by showing every 4th frame of film twice, although this does require the sound to be handled separately to avoid "skipping" effects. A more convincing technique is to use "2:3 pull down", which turns every other frame of the film into three fields of video, which results in a much smoother display.

In PAL, a similar system called "2:2 pull down is used. Theatrical film originally shot at 24 frame/s are simply sped up by 4% to 25 frame/s. This speeding up does not make too much difference to the video. The audio on the other hands is affected by an increase in audio note by one semitone. A recent innovation called pitch shifter handles this. The system is good enough for the human ear, but one can notice the difference if the sound with shifted pitch is played along with the original sound.

What we discussed till now is an analogue system.

Modern TV such as LCDs are both digital and analogue. What this means is that they can display both interlaced as well as progressively scanned images. Why is this needed? Simply because all your TV production is mostly still using analogue interlaced system. Though digital TV cameras are there, transmitting progressive images needs very high bandwidth, and TV companies, because of their investments, still use NTSC and PAL systems.

When a TV manufacturer says his TV is 24p, all it means is that the TV can display images at 24 frames per second without any conversion. This has nothing to do with Full HD. You can display at 24p but still display images at 480p or 720p resolution. So a 24p does not guarantee 1080p.

Secondly the 24p is relevant only for DVD (SD DVD or Blu-Ray). TV transmission still do not use 24p.

Hz

The Hz in TVs refer to what is called refresh rate. This is the number of times the TV draws from the data that is presented to it by a DVD or a TV source.

When the CRT was developed in the 1920s, the TVs were run at the same speed as AC line frequency used for power. So US CRTs were run at 60 Hz, and European CRTs at 50 Hz. These rates thus formed the basis for the NTSC (60 Hz) and PAL & SECAM (50 Hz) sets used today. The 50 Hz refresh rate gave the CRT more time to scan the detail. Thus PAL system had higher resolution and detail as compared to NTSC. But the scanning rate can introduce some flicker mostly in high speed motion.

Modern TVs have increased refresh rates to avoid flicker. Refresh rates have to be multiple of 24, as that is the frame rate. So refresh rates such as 48, 72, 96, and 120 Hz are needed to display motion properly.

Again the refresh rate has nothing to do with Full HD. Even used at 720p, a TV with higher refresh rate will display smoother motion.

spirovious said:
Secondly dealer told me upscaling can be done only from HDMI connection only.Tatasky which was already playing through composite can not be upscaled by both TVs.So are those both capable of upscaling composite signal to HD?

As far as I aware, most TVs restrict scaling to de-interlacing. This is converting an interlaced image to a progressive image at the same resolution. In other words, if the TV receives a 720i signal, it converts it to 720p. In addition, scalers built into most HDTVs are very basic and do not have advanced processing to eliminate scaling artifacts, such as jagged edges, motion adaptive noise reduction, mosquito noise, and detection of various video and film cadences.

Scaling to a higher resolution such as 1080p is usually done by the AVR or DVD Player.

Scaling or conversion to a higher resolution is done by TVs which specifically mention these in their specs. If a TV says it is Full HD, it does not mean it does scaling or upconversion. All it means is that it can accept and display a 1080p image.

Technically, component cable is capable of carrying 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. Many TVs though do not support 1080p through component video.

Composite cables cannot carry high resolution signals. They are best at 480p. After that the data starts getting gets corrupted.

If you want a TV signal to be scaled, it has to be done by an external scaler such as an AVR.

spirovious said:
I even read some where 800 has native resolution of 720p.So will 1080p be downscaled to 720p? What abt samsung?

Any TV that has a native resolution of 720 cannot display anything more than that. So it will have no option but to downscale higher resolution images to its native capability. This has nothing to do with the brand.

spirovious said:
So personally I liked Pan but not full HD & sam full HD but 50 Hz. Sam can play 24 true pic,pan can accept but dont know what it meens. So looking at future Blueray which will be better buy? (considering 100Hz over Full HD and 24 pic for 32in only)

If you are planning for a Blu-ray system down the line, you have to look for a TV that is minimum 42" in size, has a pixel resolution of 1920x1080, and a refresh rate of 100Hz at a minimum. Amongst brands, these are the minimum specs you have to look for and then start short listing after auditioning.

Cheers

Spirovious,

You have thrown a lot of different specs and terminology together and got confused in the process. So let us try to understand the terminology, and how they are relevant.

First the Panasonic LX 800 is 1,366 x 768-pixel resolution. This cannot display 1080p (Full HD) under any circumstance. If you want a Full HD display you have to get a TV that has 1920x1080 pixel screen. This is irrespective of every other specification, and whether you connect it to a Blu-Ray or not.

24P

Now coming to 24. You have used many terms here - 24 pic, 24frm, 24 true pic, 24 playback.... etc.

The correct terms are 24p and 24fps (FRAMES PER SECOND).

24fps comes from movies that you see in cinema hassle. These are shot on film rolls that are moved across a projector to display motion. Each frame has a slightly different still photograph from the previous frame that is an indication of motion. The projector moves the reel across the light source and lens at the rate of 24 frames for every one second. When these still pictures are projected on the screen at that speed, your eyes see that as motion. Now a film is also called progressive scanning as each still picture fills the entire frame. This is called progressive source. This means that the frame rate is the number of individual full pictures. In the came of film this is exactly 24.

When a movie is converted to DVD, it is always stored as 24 frames per second.

Now a TV system works in a completely different fashion. Basically there are two systems - NTSC and PAL and both these systems are based upon the CRT. In a CRT, an image is displayed by scanning a electron beam across the screen. Each frame of a film is broken into two halves called FIELDS. The CRT first scans even numbered lines such a 1,2,4,6 and so on. It thus forms half an image. It then scans the odd numbered lines such a 3,5,6,7, and so on to form the second half of the image. These two half images are interleaved or interlaced to form the full image.

Since a TV display technology forms two half images and then interlaces them to form a full frame, it is called interlacing. So all TV displays have two aspects - scanning lines and frame rate, The field rate is always double the frame rate.

NTSC uses a Frame consisting of 486 horizontal lines in the active area and a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second (fps). The frame is interlaced, meaning it's composed of two individual fields with a Field rate of 59.94fps, usually referred to as 60fps. (fields per second)

The PAL (Phase Alternating Line) TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's in Europe. It has better resolution than NTSC, having 576 lines in the active area of the frame. The frame rate is 25fps, much closer to the 24 fps frame rate of a reel film.

Now when you take a film standard at 24 fps whi9ch is progressively scanned, it can never be displayed on either NTSC or PAL directly. So the frame rate is converted.

In NTSC, the conversion is done by periodically playing a selected frame twice. The difference in frame rates can be corrected by showing every 4th frame of film twice, although this does require the sound to be handled separately to avoid "skipping" effects. A more convincing technique is to use "2:3 pull down", which turns every other frame of the film into three fields of video, which results in a much smoother display.

In PAL, a similar system called "2:2 pull down is used. Theatrical film originally shot at 24 frame/s are simply sped up by 4% to 25 frame/s. This speeding up does not make too much difference to the video. The audio on the other hands is affected by an increase in audio note by one semitone. A recent innovation called pitch shifter handles this. The system is good enough for the human ear, but one can notice the difference if the sound with shifted pitch is played along with the original sound.

What we discussed till now is an analogue system.

Modern TV such as LCDs are both digital and analogue. What this means is that they can display both interlaced as well as progressively scanned images. Why is this needed? Simply because all your TV production is mostly still using analogue interlaced system. Though digital TV cameras are there, transmitting progressive images needs very high bandwidth, and TV companies, because of their investments, still use NTSC and PAL systems.

When a TV manufacturer says his TV is 24p, all it means is that the TV can display images at 24 frames per second without any conversion. This has nothing to do with Full HD. You can display at 24p but still display images at 480p or 720p resolution. So a 24p does not guarantee 1080p.

Secondly the 24p is relevant only for DVD (SD DVD or Blu-Ray). TV transmission still do not use 24p.

Hz

The Hz in TVs refer to what is called refresh rate. This is the number of times the TV draws from the data that is presented to it by a DVD or a TV source.

When the CRT was developed in the 1920s, the TVs were run at the same speed as AC line frequency used for power. So US CRTs were run at 60 Hz, and European CRTs at 50 Hz. These rates thus formed the basis for the NTSC (60 Hz) and PAL & SECAM (50 Hz) sets used today. The 50 Hz refresh rate gave the CRT more time to scan the detail. Thus PAL system had higher resolution and detail as compared to NTSC. But the scanning rate can introduce some flicker mostly in high speed motion.

Modern TVs have increased refresh rates to avoid flicker. Refresh rates have to be multiple of 24, as that is the frame rate. So refresh rates such as 48, 72, 96, and 120 Hz are needed to display motion properly.

Again the refresh rate has nothing to do with Full HD. Even used at 720p, a TV with higher refresh rate will display smoother motion.

As far as I aware, most TVs restrict scaling to de-interlacing. This is converting an interlaced image to a progressive image at the same resolution. In other words, if the TV receives a 720i signal, it converts it to 720p. In addition, scalers built into most HDTVs are very basic and do not have advanced processing to eliminate scaling artifacts, such as jagged edges, motion adaptive noise reduction, mosquito noise, and detection of various video and film cadences.

Scaling to a higher resolution such as 1080p is usually done by the AVR or DVD Player.

Scaling or conversion to a higher resolution is done by TVs which specifically mention these in their specs. If a TV says it is Full HD, it does not mean it does scaling or upconversion. All it means is that it can accept and display a 1080p image.

Technically, component cable is capable of carrying 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. Many TVs though do not support 1080p through component video.

Composite cables cannot carry high resolution signals. They are best at 480p. After that the data starts getting gets corrupted.

If you want a TV signal to be scaled, it has to be done by an external scaler such as an AVR.

Any TV that has a native resolution of 720 cannot display anything more than that. So it will have no option but to downscale higher resolution images to its native capability. This has nothing to do with the brand.

If you are planning for a Blu-ray system down the line, you have to look for a TV that is minimum 42" in size, has a pixel resolution of 1920x1080, and a refresh rate of 100Hz at a minimum. Amongst brands, these are the minimum specs you have to look for and then start short listing after auditioning.

Cheers

Thanks for detailed explaination.

I read manual of Pan again and found two terms.

1. 24p playback (HD ready models 800)
2. 24p realcinema (Full HD abroad )

Playback mode plays movies as 24 frames as recorded.
24p real cinema mode creat few newer frames from original source and
add them.

Manual states 24p playback(original) can cause jerky movements,
but 24p real cinema can give smooth effect due to newer extra frames.

1.So my Q is as Panasonics Full HD models only has 24p real cinema,
(32 in) not Indian one (24 playback only),then will it affect Blueray
performance?

2. Secondly can Pan 100Hz rate cause problem in Standard broadcast as
some online reviews states? (100 Hz cannot be lowered)

3.Lastly Samsung has Full HD (I know not needed for 32in) &
24P Real Movie which states it can play movies in original form.
Does it meen sam 24p real movie do not process as Pan do in
24p real cinema mode (not playback)? It even doesnt have 100hz
for 32 in model.

I ask some basic Q. bcos I have to decide from Pan or Sam.

Given two option Sam 32A550 (or650) & Pan 32LX800,which will be better
buy?(do not consider connectivities)

Pls. reply.

spirovious said:
I read manual of Pan again and found two terms.

1. 24p playback (HD ready models 800)
2. 24p realcinema (Full HD abroad )

Playback mode plays movies as 24 frames as recorded. 24p real cinema mode creat few newer frames from original source and add them.

As far as I can understand these are just two terms used by Panasonic used to represent the same thing. 24p playback is the same as I explained, i.e., the TV can play the material progressively scanned at 24 frames per second without any conversion.

24p RealCinema seems to be a common term used by many companies. I have seen LG and Panasonic use the term. All it means is the HD movies run at the 24 frames per second speed that they were originally filmed in, making your home-cinema experience one step closer to a 'Real Cinema' or ;Real Movie' experience. When you display at 24fps, where is the question of adding more frames? In any case a TV cannot add any new frames. If at all, a DVD Player can only repeat a frame. No unit in the chain can create a new frame. Again, why add any frame to an image that is already at 24fps?

spirovious said:
Manual states 24p playback(original) can cause jerky movements, but 24p real cinema can give smooth effect due to newer extra frames.

This sounds like marketing material. Do you see any jerky movements when you visit a cinema hall? Yes, the resolution of a film is somewhere close to 6000p in terms of resolution. TV manufacturers are working to improve their resolution towards that. Nothing can be done by increasing the frame rate. The eye can actually visualize movement at 16fps. The film industry has adopted 24fps for various historical reasons. All cinema material is shot at 24fps. I don't see how that can be improved, by adding more frames while displaying only 24fps.

spirovious said:
1.So my Q is as Panasonics Full HD models only has 24p real cinema, (32 in) not Indian one (24 playback only),then will it affect Blueray performance?

Spirovious, as far as I can see, both 24p Playback, and 24p RealCinema are the same.

spirovious said:
2. Secondly can Pan 100Hz rate cause problem in Standard broadcast as some online reviews states? (100 Hz cannot be lowered)

This depends upon the TV broadcast. If the TV broadcast is being transmitted at 50Hz, logically the TV should also work at 50Hz, But I dont see how this can create any issues, If a TV is reading data at twice the speed of the source, at best it will come back with the same data every two cycles instead of one cycle. If you give me link to the reviews, let me see if I understand what they are saying.

spirovious said:
3.Lastly Samsung has Full HD (I know not needed for 32in) & 24P Real Movie which states it can play movies in original form. Does it meen sam 24p real movie do not process as Pan do in 24p real cinema mode (not playback)? It even doesnt have 100hz for 32 in model.

24p, 24p Playback, 24P RealCinema, and 24P Real Movie, ALL refer to the capability of the TV to play at 24 frames per second. That is all. If Samsung says it's TV is capable of 24p RealMovie, what it means is that TV can play material at 24fps. Again as I mentioned previously, the refresh rate has nothing to do with the frame rate or full HD. Higher refresh rate ensures smoother movement of high speed motion. But it does not mean that only a TV with high refresh rate can display 24fps. Even a TV with a refresh rate of 50Hz can display at 24fps.

spirovious said:
Given two option Sam 32A550 (or650) & Pan 32LX800,which will be better buy?(do not consider connectivities)

Look at the following important specs:

Samsung LN32A550
1920x1080
15,000:1
5ms
60Hz

Panasonic TX-32LX800
1366x768
10,000:1
Unknown
100Hz.

As you can see, the Samsung has better specifications. Samsung is Full HD, while the Panasonic is HR Ready. Samsung has higher contrast ratio. Some of the technologies that Panasonic offers may be better, but the basic Samsung panel is more advanced than that of Panasonic. If you are interested in Blu-Ray, as I mentioned before, you should look at a Full HD panel.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
I beg to differ here. Any TV which has a resolution different from that of source signal has to scale it to its own native resolution.
After all, scaling is nothing but filling all pixels by some manipulation algorithm where original resolution does not match with the native one.

in case of "source mis-match" probably down scaling is implicit and built in while upsacaling has to be explicit (thru tv or avr). anyone want's to confirm this understanding for lcd tv's found in the market.

most people are now aware of pmpo v/s rms and audio manufacturers have got their act together and increasingly have started indiciating rms values.

however, the tv companies throw "dynamic contrast" at us, which is not really comparable as each has their own technique to measure it. wonder how we should actually compare and decide on contrast ratios that are published in specifications?

in case of "source mis-match" probably down scaling is implicit and built in while upsacaling has to be explicit (thru tv or avr). anyone want's to confirm this understanding for lcd tv's found in the market.

most people are now aware of pmpo v/s rms and audio manufacturers have got their act together and increasingly have started indiciating rms values.

however, the tv companies throw "dynamic contrast" at us, which is not really comparable as each has their own technique to measure it. wonder how we should actually compare and decide on contrast ratios that are published in specifications?

all tvs have a upscalers and upscale to their native resolution,but older tv were pretty bad in upscaling department tv before 2005,and also older tv would simpy refuse to accept a resolution which is higher then their ntaive resolution.
well nowdays all tvs manufacture quote dynamic contrast only very few if not only one manufacture quotes the static contrast and that company is sony.for instance of S-IPS based tv like LG and philips will not give a contrast above 1500:1.while tv like toshiba ,panasonic,hitachi lcd which use A-IPS tech will not give a contrast of more then 1000:1 or a max of 1200:1,the sony and samsung lcds have a contrast of as high as 2500:1 and LED backlight based samsung have 3000:1 contrast,it is unclear how will the sony lcds which have RGB LEDs compare,no doubt they cost as much as mid size car.

Hi Venkat,
I beg to differ here. Any TV which has a resolution different from that of source signal has to scale it to its own native resolution. After all, scaling is nothing but filling all pixels by some manipulation algorithm where original resolution does not match with the native one.

Anuragn:

What you say is true up to 720p. Most TVs de-interlace and and some even scale up to 720p. For example my Akai TV de-interlaces up to 720p with a Fardoudja DCDi chip. But it will not take a 480i signal and scale it to 720p. It will only scale it to 480p. This is done to smoothen the picture, remove jagged edges, improve colour saturation, and images with motion easier to watch. When I feed it a 480p signal, it clearly display 480p. All TVs can display at a resolution that is lower than their native resolution.

All digital TVs have their won de-interlacing and scaling engines.

But i have yet to see a single Full HD TV that has a internal scaling engine for 1080p, where it can take a lower resolution picture and scale it to 1080p. You think if a TV has a scaling engine for a 1080p, the manufacturer will not shout from the roof top? I have also seen some of the Full HD TVs display images at 720p when fed with that resolution.

Scaling engines are very complicated and expensive. To keep their prices competitive, TV manufacturers are focussing on improving their panels, and building the electronics to improve their display.

I could be wrong, but reading specification and manuals, this is the impression I get. I would love to be proved wrong.

Cheers

As i understand, scaling is converting from a resolution to another and de-interlacing is converting from interlaced to progressive

Anuragn:
What you say is true up to 720p. Most TVs de-interlace and and some even scale up to 720p. For example my Akai TV de-interlaces up to 720p with a Fardoudja DCDi chip. But it will not take a 480i signal and scale it to 720p. It will only scale it to 480p.
Venkat, correct me if I am wrong but isn't conversion from 480i to 480p called as de-interlacing and not scaling?

All TVs can display at a resolution that is lower than their native resolution.

But i have yet to see a single Full HD TV that has a internal scaling engine for 1080p, where it can take a lower resolution picture and scale it to 1080p. You think if a TV has a scaling engine for a 1080p, the manufacturer will not shout from the roof top? I have also seen some of the Full HD TVs display images at 720p when fed with that resolution.
Isn't this contradictory to your previous quote. "All TVs can display at a resolution that is lower than their native resolution." ? If the Full HD TV displays 720p images, then does it not display it all over the panel? So isn't this scaled to 1080i (at least)?

If the Full HD TV displays 720p images, then does it not display it all over the panel? So isn't this scaled to 1080i (at least)?

Bang on the target! This is exactly what I'm trying to say. If a TV with a higher native resolution is able to fill up all the pixels, it means it is up-scaling the picture. Quality of the upscaled picture might not be as good vis a vis the same picture upscaled by a higher-end AVR, but then, that is a different story.

This sounds like marketing material. Do you see any jerky movements when you visit a cinema hall? Yes, the resolution of a film is somewhere close to 6000p in terms of resolution. TV manufacturers are working to improve their resolution towards that. Nothing can be done by increasing the frame rate. The eye can actually visualize movement at 16fps. The film industry has adopted 24fps for various historical reasons. All cinema material is shot at 24fps. I don't see how that can be improved, by adding more frames while displaying only 24fps.

Hi,
Pan cataloge-

http://www.panasonicviera.co.nz/userfiles/File/Panasonic_VIERA_2008_Catalogue.pdf

This explains difference in 24p playback & 24p real cinema with added
frames.Check a man jumping in water pool.

Check review abt 100Hz & SD signal-

Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD700 32in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

Pls. read 4th para,though they backed Pan but not Sharp

also check cons-http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TX37LZD85/Conclusion/

Last edited:
Do anyone know difference between Panasonic TX-32LX800A (NZ) &
Panasonic TX-32LX800C (IND)?

I got manual of 800A which dont have Backlight control,
Indian model 800C speci tells it can.

Dont know Brightness,Response time of 32LX800C

Very difficult to get Indian model manual online.

Secondly can we get Pan LXD or LZD models in grey market?
They are full HD in 32inch.

Last edited:
Do anyone know difference between Panasonic TX-32LX800A (NZ) &
Panasonic TX-32LX800C (IND)?

I got manual of 800A which dont have Backlight control,
Indian model 800C speci tells it can.

Dont know Brightness,Response time of 32LX800C

Very difficult to get Indian model manual online.

Secondly can we get Pan LXD or LZD models in grey market?
They are full HD in 32inch.

yes u can get in the grey market,but since panasonic is not popular choice u will have to order it,and also the prices may be slightly higher then other companies,since sony and samsung which are popular are bought in bulk.

Friends,

I am back here after 30 days interval.After returning from Onsite I enjoyed two weeks vacation and then I am writing this in between my hectic offshore schedule.

Let me stick to the topic..Last Saturday I purchased Samsung-LA32A550. I purchased this after long research. My quick comment is "It is simply amazing". Stunning pic quality and sleek look.The only drawback is Sound.It is not enough loud(I think this should be a common pblm in the LCD Tv).But Thats not a matter as I am going to Install HT.

I paid just Rs41,500. I dont know whether it is the right current price.The price diff between sony 32 FHD and Samsung 32 FHD is 16K.Its huge amount.

I strongly suggest Samsung LCD TVs.It has best pic quality and less price compared to Sony.

Cheers,
Pandiyan

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back