samsung ps50b550 not available in delhi?

Vikram7981

Hi,

After reading all the reviews, I sort of finalized Samsung PS50B550. However, to my surprise I found out it is not available at any dealer shop in delhi. The dealer checked with Samsung also and even the company doesn't have the stock.

Any idea from where I can purchase this set in Delhi. Also, why is it not available. Is there a defect in this model.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Vikram

Hi,

After reading all the reviews, I sort of finalized Samsung PS50B550. However, to my surprise I found out it is not available at any dealer shop in delhi. The dealer checked with Samsung also and even the company doesn't have the stock.

Any idea from where I can purchase this set in Delhi. Also, why is it not available. Is there a defect in this model.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Vikram

hi vikram

i faced the same problem when seeking for the same model in pune as i am planning to buy it in diwali.
as the dealers don't have the demand for the samsung plasma they usually don't opt for the plasma as display and the dealers are also keen to put on the new led and lcd tv as the companies are advertising a lot on it.

also the second point is as the plasma are old technology so the dealers are not so energetic towards it as they will be phased out in 3 to 5 years but support for the same will remain.
other companies like panasonic are advertising about plasma so the dealers have panasonic plasma.

i checked ps40b450 on display ,it did not had any problems and the sd viewing was also very nice when u are about 6 feet away form the set.

the dealer also said that if i had any problems with the unit they will return it back to company.

u will need to order the set 1 week advance as the delivery will take some time.

plasma offer better blacks and has better life span than LCD TVs. Compare Samsung PS50B550 performance with Panasonic TH-P50V10D and Panasonic-TH-50PY850 as benchmark, but they are retailed at much higher price. It has Full HD resolution, higher dynamic contrast and good connectivity too, so it is a overall good package. Being plasma TV expect better contrast performance and motion will not be problem too, if viewed in minimum ambient light viewing experience will be much better experience.

the quote for ps50b550 in pune is 74000/-

also don't forget to review the unit with some pics on this forum.

i am eagerly waiting for it.

well samsung is busy marketing LED tv,looks like they are not even intrested in selling CCFL lcds ,let alone a plasma.well it appears that they are getting higher profits in led lcds.

@atulpilot
there is no such thing as plasma has better life,before the panel dies in lcd or a plasma,the electronics will be the first to go poof.
while all plasma have amazing black,they don't show the same whites as good as lcds,except for a few.lots of pros and cons for both.so neither is winner.

how is ps50b550 compared to pany's 50" X10(TH-P42X10D)??? Is it worth waiting for ps50b550???

Panasonic has 600Hz Sub-field Drive... but in samsung it is 100hz... Does this make much difference? They say this makes pany future proof... wat is tis actually?

how is ps50b550 compared to pany's 50" X10(TH-P42X10D)??? Is it worth waiting for ps50b550???

Panasonic has 600Hz Sub-field Drive... but in samsung it is 100hz... Does this make much difference? They say this makes pany future proof... wat is tis actually?

don't confuse the 600hz sub field with the 100hz AMP of samsung.both the x10 and b550 plasma have the 600hz sub field.the samsung has the additional 100hz AMP i.e frame insertion.

PS50b550 is still not available anywhere in Delhi/NCR. I did found it on display in Samsung Plaza in GIP mall, new outlet of the sec-18 shop but when I was about to do the billing they told me that they will not be able to deliver the set the same day.

When I persisted to know the reason they told me that they only have 1 piece and that is on display in the shop and they can not remove it from display because of an scheduled audit visit from Samsung.

The set has been on display for past 5 days and I was surprised to find out that they were actually trying to sell me a demo piece from the showroom. Had I not persisted to know the reason behind the delayed delivery they would have succeeded in selling me the demo product, which has been running non stop for last 5 days.

Please be aware of this outlet, i.e. Samsung Plaza in GIP and Samsung Plaza in Sec-18 Noida. I have now decided to wait until this product is available in Delhi, probably after diwali or otherwise, I will go for a Panasonic Plasma, probably the S10D.

Vikram

Update: I purchased Panasonic 50X10D just before diwali and I am very happy with the product so far. Great PQ with SD via tata sky, and DVD via a 4yr. old samsung progressive dvd player.

The panel doesn't have a AR filter so is very very reflective. I have decided to add curtains on the door and window to make the room darker.

In a dark room the PQ is simply amazing.

Update: I purchased Panasonic 50X10D just before diwali and I am very happy with the product so far. Great PQ with SD via tata sky, and DVD via a 4yr. old samsung progressive dvd player.

The panel doesn't have a AR filter so is very very reflective. I have decided to add curtains on the door and window to make the room darker.

In a dark room the PQ is simply amazing.

Congrats on your purchase....

kindly post some detailed review if possbile with SD feed and HD feed with pictures... Can feed in Picassa or flickr and post the link...

What is the price quoted and u have bargained for??? this will help all.

Regards

samsung is really shooting itself in the foot by ignoring plasma to promote their LED backlit LCD TVs. I am not saying they should aggressively push Plasma, and that is a decision for them to take, but the models that are officially in distribution should be available at dealers without difficulty. If they are going to use scarcity of plasma as a marketing strategy to promote the LCDs, then that's really stupid.

Look at this case, someone wanted a 50" Full HD plasma from samsung, and instead ended up buying a 50" HD Ready plasma frmo panasonic for around the same price, this is a valuable sale that they've lost and no doubt there are several more like this.

I wonder who is heading up things at Samsung India, I'd love to give him or her a piece of my mind (not just about this, also about their dishonest and misleading "LED TV" campaign).

I second you on the same, i was shocked when i got to know that they had plans to bump up sales of new LED LCD TV's so mass production was done for the same and they did not procure or assemble any plasma's. In December stocks would hit the market but how many is still a big question mark ?

well i am not sure if samsung has a plasma assembly plant in india,i know they have a lcd assembly plant.
so i guess they can't be as competitive in plasma as they are in lcds,since the plasma will attract a customs duties of around 30 to 35%,compared to their lcds which attract only 5%.
well atleast panasonic is still selling plasmas,they them self said in the US that their primary tvs sales will be plasmas,also the fact that they got tech from pioneer plasma business ,will keep them actively promoting plasmas.

samsung are reportedly going to lauch their new lcd tech called Blue phase sometime next year which is completely different from current lcd tech(a similar tech is already available in sharp lcds tvs from next month)samsung claim a static contrast ratio of 10000:1 and response time in micro seconds vs milli seconds,reduced power consumption .
so i am not sure if samsung will continue to pursue 3 different tech blue phase lcds/spva based lcds.plasmas and OLED.
sony will no longer invest in samsung S lcd,they are on their own,since sony has invested with fellow japanese company sharp.

From what i have observed over the past two years, Samsung lists their new products on their Indian website by around May/June and by the Dussehra/Diwali time we generally have all of them readily available at stores.
Personally,I don't remember them pushing anything into the market that late in the year...and anyways come March/April its time to look forward to brand new product releases in the US.

Last edited:
From what i have observed over the past two years, Samsung lists their new products on their Indian website by around May/June and by the Dussehra/Diwali time we generally have all of them readily available at stores.
Personally,I don't remember them pushing anything into the market that late in the year...and anyways come March/April its time to look forward to brand new product releases in the US.

true,even sony launches coincide with samsung launches.i believe the best time to buy new tvs is from may to aug.

Well, I learned a few thing by browsing the AV forums, while waiting for 50b550, that influenced my decision to drop the samsung and rather go for the Panasonic. I same sharing these in case they could help others as well.

1. Beyond a viewing distance of 5 feet, the difference b/w the PQ of a Full HD vs HD Ready TV is not discernible. My viewing distance is 12 feet. So, Full HD vs HD Ready was no longer a factor for me.

2. Panasonic is extremely resistant to Image Retention and burn-in whereas samsung is prone to this issue. I was concerned because the channel logos plus the tata sky logo is always on. Also, I found reviews about 50b450 where users were complaining of screen burn in. This was the major factor that influenced by decision of not to go for Samsung.

3. HD Ready is better than Full HD for SD viewing. And Panasonic plasmas are much superior to any other brand/Samsung in displaying SD. So, it made more sense to go for a HD ready display from Panasonic. I even found reviews where users suggested that for SD Panasonic was better and for HD Samsung was better. I knew I would be viewing SD 80% of the time so I decided on Panasonic. Also, I have now watched a few HD movies on my Panny and they too look great. I guess HD would look great on any HDTV, unless we are critically analyzing that, which is anyways beyond me.

4. I got a 3 year warranty as part of Diwali promotion on panasonic which gives me real peace of mind.

The above factors led me to drop the samsung, even though it was available in GIP, and rather go for Panasonic.

I gathered all this by reading reviews, going through AV forums etc. so this might not be accurate. You can do your own validation by googling on the info. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Well, I learned a few thing by browsing the AV forums, while waiting for 50b550, that influenced my decision to drop the samsung and rather go for the Panasonic. I same sharing these in case they could help others as well.

1. Beyond a viewing distance of 5 feet, the difference b/w the PQ of a Full HD vs HD Ready TV is not discernible. My viewing distance is 12 feet. So, Full HD vs HD Ready was no longer a factor for me.

2. Panasonic is extremely resistant to Image Retention and burn-in whereas samsung is prone to this issue. I was concerned because the channel logos plus the tata sky logo is always on. Also, I found reviews about 50b450 where users were complaining of screen burn in. This was the major factor that influenced by decision of not to go for Samsung.

3. HD Ready is better than Full HD for SD viewing. And Panasonic plasmas are much superior to any other brand/Samsung in displaying SD. So, it made more sense to go for a HD ready display from Panasonic. I even found reviews where users suggested that for SD Panasonic was better and for HD Samsung was better. I knew I would be viewing SD 80% of the time so I decided on Panasonic. Also, I have now watched a few HD movies on my Panny and they too look great. I guess HD would look great on any HDTV, unless we are critically analyzing that, which is anyways beyond me.

4. I got a 3 year warranty as part of Diwali promotion on panasonic which gives me real peace of mind.

The above factors led me to drop the samsung, even though it was available in GIP, and rather go for Panasonic.

I gathered all this by reading reviews, going through AV forums etc. so this might not be accurate. You can do your own validation by googling on the info. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts, Vikram. I, however, do not agree with the following 2 points which you've mentioned.
- "Panasonic plasmas are much superior to any other brand/Samsung in displaying SD." All reviews that I've read thus far (atleast for the G10) are to the contrary.
- "I guess HD would look great on any HDTV". If the degree of "greatness" with which all HDTVs display HD were more or less the same, there wouldn't be much point in having this and other forums but for discussions on price.

Anyway, what really matters in the end for each of us is what keeps us happy. Great that you are happy with your TV. Best wishes. :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back