samsung ps50b550 not available in delhi?

Thanks for your thoughts, Vikram. I, however, do not agree with the following 2 points which you've mentioned.
- "Panasonic plasmas are much superior to any other brand/Samsung in displaying SD." All reviews that I've read thus far (atleast for the G10) are to the contrary.
- "I guess HD would look great on any HDTV". If the degree of "greatness" with which all HDTVs display HD were more or less the same, there wouldn't be much point in having this and other forums but for discussions on price.

Anyway, what really matters in the end for each of us is what keeps us happy. Great that you are happy with your TV. Best wishes. :)

I agree. You have made valid points here. G10 is not good with SD. Most of the users have mentioned that the picture is too soft in SD. But this issue has only been reported for G10, which has a different panel i.e. NeoPDP. But for other models Panasonic has been doing a great job with SD.

And this is based on what I found on the forums, so no guarantees. :)

hey Vikram, the one point i agree with you on is that Samsungs are much more prone to IR than the Panasonics, but I've owned a Samsung plasma for more than a year now and I can confidently state that this has not been a significant issue. It is occasionally a minor irritant and all else being the same this would be a useful aspect to use as a 'casting vote', but all else is not the same.

At a 50" screen size, the difference between Full HD and HD Ready shoudl be clearly evident even at 10 feet, forget 5 feet.

In last year's models (The PV8 and A410/450) the Pannys did better at displaying SD content because of its superior scaler, but this year Samsung has really got their image processing down pat and I would be surprised if the Panasonic plasmas outperform the Samsungs in this department.

The only reason to got a G10 over a B550 is the 50hz issue that everyone talks about, and this too I am not sure how much of an impact it would have in real world viewing. Otherwise considering the prices are almost the same the B550 is superior value. Of course, Samsung seems to be trying its best to negate that value by their antics.

well panasonic plasma do show a softer image then samsung plasma,u can see dithering in panasonic more then in samsung.hence that softer image in panasonic,it also applies to other panasonic plasma not just G10.

I have owned a sammy Q9 for over 2 years now, i never faced any IR issues, i always kept pixel shift on and i have watched all type of content on it.

Samsung has been very good with image processing and colors in bringing out a lovely picture, the same has been mentioned in vast reviews and posts. The PQ makes a huge impact and made me go for the same.

Panny offer's deeper blacks there is no denying that and it has been mentioned in all reviews and posts.

In the end it all depends what suits your eye.

As far as the B550 goes, its a good set, we already have the video file to check the issue, but until and unless we have to someone try the same out along with availability of unit we wont be able to get more details on the same.

Also if you run at 60hz the problem does not come up. So another question that pops up in my mind is that will there be a major difference in running the image at 60hz rather than 50hz.

That's something for us to find out and answer.

hey Vikram, the one point i agree with you on is that Samsungs are much more prone to IR than the Panasonics, but I've owned a Samsung plasma for more than a year now and I can confidently state that this has not been a significant issue. It is occasionally a minor irritant and all else being the same this would be a useful aspect to use as a 'casting vote', but all else is not the same.

At a 50" screen size, the difference between Full HD and HD Ready shoudl be clearly evident even at 10 feet, forget 5 feet.

In last year's models (The PV8 and A410/450) the Pannys did better at displaying SD content because of its superior scaler, but this year Samsung has really got their image processing down pat and I would be surprised if the Panasonic plasmas outperform the Samsungs in this department.

The only reason to got a G10 over a B550 is the 50hz issue that everyone talks about, and this too I am not sure how much of an impact it would have in real world viewing. Otherwise considering the prices are almost the same the B550 is superior value. Of course, Samsung seems to be trying its best to negate that value by their antics.

On Full HD vs HD ready, I tested that my self in the show room, I could only spot a difference when standing closer than 5 foot. All the googling I did on the net also suggested the same.
I agree Samsung has improved this year but so has Panasonic. I did view 50B450 with tata sky and there was blur for sports channels.

In the end , I guess my advise for future buyers would be to go and audition the respective HDTVs themselves. There are a lot of good options.

Happy buying. !!

where did u buy it for 76k in delhi?

I bought this from Panasonic brand shop in GIP. The sales person was Anand. I checked all the dealers in Delhi and this was only available in GIP. The other dealers were quoting around 80k though.

In case you are planning to buy this model then be aware of the extremely reflective panel. That is the only downside with this model.

For those interested in the B550 plasma looks like it is off the plasma list on the Samsung India website.

interesting...on this site only the Pioneer Kuros have a higher rating than the Samsung plasmas

I wouldn't go with the overall ratings on this site.. while i don't intend to discredit them, their rankings of LCDs is a bit.. bizarre, if u try to correlate it with all other reviews and personal experience demoing some of these products..

well that site as a strong bias towards samsung be it in lcd or plasma.notice most of the shots of samsung plasma are taken in dark room,where as the panasonic unfortunately is taken with considerable amount of ambient lighting.

even in lcds the biggest rival to samsung is undoubtedly sony,in sony reviews they post pictures of axis performance and ,which effect all lcds,surprisingly in samsung review they don't post any off axis photos,again to give a good impression ,samsung images are again taken with lesser ambient light.

another surprise is that even a IPS based LG tv has a better contrast then a VA based sonys:eek:,but not the VA based samsungs.:rolleyes:

lastly on the right hand side u see a big sponsored samsung AD.

For those interested in the B550 plasma looks like it is off the plasma list on the Samsung India website.
no idea,why samsung would do that.now they don't have a 50" FHD tv under 1 lakh.

Last edited:
Yea, guess due to many queries on the model and no supply, they have removed it off, so we no longer will be able to get our hands on the same for now in future god only knows ... this will dealt a big blow to samsung plasma market as this model could have turned out to be a real seller

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back