Samsung to Buy WRGB OLED TV Panels from LG Display, Ditching QD-OLED?

Samsung display vs Samsung visual display tug of war continues :) these are Mavericks played by the main Samsung corporation to win some business green points over their Korean competitor.

Almost all OLEDs are without DV as DV needs super bright panels to show its omnipotence!
Huh what? All OLED makers support DV. LG, Sony, Panasonic all support it.

Also the biggest advantage of DV is on lower brightness TVs. If the TV is bright enough no tone mapping is needed in the first place.

Huh what? All OLED makers support DV. LG, Sony, Panasonic all support it.

Also the biggest advantage of DV is on lower brightness TVs. If the TV is bright enough no tone mapping is needed in the first place.
A few days back you only said DV works well in a very bright TV. Let me dig that post out.

A few days back you only said DV works well in a very bright TV. Let me dig that post out.
Please do. I'll be waiting.

What I did say is that overall HDR effect requires a bright TV. However, HDR10 vs DV difference becomes less and less as tone mapping isn't required.

Those are very different things. You will obviously get better DV on a brighter TV than a dimmer one.

As per media reports, they will apply their Quantum Dot layer on the top of LG's WRGB OLED panel and will market them as QD-OLED. Probably they will also use the White sub-pixel less aggressively like Sony to achieve a higher color volume.

So it is just a quantum dot LCD turned into QD-OLED. If more and more brands buy from LG their OLED panels, the resulting price reductions will help the general consumers. It is a good thing maybe.

So it is just a quantum dot LCD turned into QD-OLED. If more and more brands buy from LG their OLED panels, the resulting price reductions will help the general consumers. It is a good thing maybe.
Also technology Monopoly unless other brands manufacture their own.

As per media reports, they will apply their Quantum Dot layer on the top of LG's WRGB OLED panel and will market them as QD-OLED. Probably they will also use the White sub-pixel less aggressively like Sony to achieve a higher color volume.
That would make the display a lot dimmer and there's basically no point in doing so since OLEDs already produce the 3 primaries in a very pure form. OLEDs can barely reach 700-800 nits as is. Putting another conversion layer on top will put the brightness significantly lower.

Samsung's whole point is very bright and punchy TVs which are better in a bright room than OLEDs. They'll just market the regular OLEDs as QD display as they own the trademark. There isn't anything legal saying that QD display has to have quantum dots.

That would make the display a lot dimmer and there's basically no point in doing so since OLEDs already produce the 3 primaries in a very pure form. OLEDs can barely reach 700-800 nits as is. Putting another conversion layer on top will put the brightness significantly lower.

Samsung's whole point is very bright and punchy TVs which are better in a bright room than OLEDs. They'll just market the regular OLEDs as QD display as they own the trademark. There isn't anything legal saying that QD display has to have quantum dots.
Right, I am still wondering why they are even taking that route. Probably it's a flexing technique to keep Samsung Display in line.

Right, I am still wondering why they are even taking that route. Probably it's a flexing technique to keep Samsung Display in line.
Samsung display has stopped producing LCD panels. Currently they are just going to produce QD-OLED panels and QNED in 2-3 years.

If the QD-OLED panel isn't satisfactory (not bright enough or some other issue), it makes sense for Samsung to go to LG.

TCL CSOT will be the only big LCD making player left now, apart from the ultra cheap Chinese edge lit panels flooding India.

Well LG Panels are cheaper and as mentioned in the video QD-OLED prototype is not satisfactory.Also OLED is not the future.so no point in spending massive R&D in ageing technology. Samsung probably will concentrate on Micro-Led and QNED which is going to be the future.

Samsung realised that they can only sell age old LCD tech so long. All the mudslinging against burn-in in any kind of self emitting technology and selling inferior backlit tvs can only take you so long. Coming decade is not of the LCD.

LG panels are not miraculously cheap. Also, LCD panels are not suddenly costly. LG did targetted innovation for a decade and reduced costs where not required, kept the size and quality intact and reduced the entry point to the OLED tech over the years. This year, they have also setup plants to mass produce OLEDs which would make them cheaper than the LCD panels out there. Smaller OLEDs are also around the corner. Years of slogging by samsung resulted in a case flagship OLEDs will be cheaper than midrange LCDs in the coming 2 years. This effectively invalidated any place the LCD TVs had in the first place.

Samsung fascination for 'next big thing for tomorrow' approach essentially invalidated them for 'today' so much and standing in enemy gates for OLED panels.

LCD tvs if any will be the lower end chinese ones and the ones sold for high nits.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back