Samsung TV + Samsung Home Theater + DirecTV. A Good Mix?

katofelinus

I have my Samsung UN55UH6830 TV connected to the DirecTV box with an HDMI cable but the TV does not output Dolby Digital 5.1 but DTS Neo 2:5 because of some limitations of Samsung and Dolby Digital. The only way I can get DD 5.1 is connecting the DirecTV box directly to a Home Theater with an optical cable. I am thinking of buying the Samsung HT-J5500W Home Theater System (HTS) but first I would like know if the following setup will work well:

1) Connecting the DirectTV box with an Optical Cable to the Samsung HT-J5500W System.
2) Connecting the Samsung HT-J5500W HTS to my Samsung TV with a HMDI cable (ARC Port).
3) Connecting an old Laser Disc Player to my Samsung TV with a component Cable.
4) Connecting an External Hard Drive with movies (MP4 and MKV) to my TV through a USB port.

In Theory, I would get:

1) Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio from my DirecTV box and from the BlueRay Disc Player included in this System.
2) Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio from the movies (MP4 and MKV) I have in the External Hard Drive connected to my TV.
3) I will be able to change the volume with either the TV, DirecTV or Home Theater remote controls.

Will this work as described? Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

Back