Samsung TV - What is Dolby Decoder 5.1.... ?

craige4u

I am eyeing a Shiny New 4K TV and here i came across one thing which i cant seem to understand. I am interested in Samsung Q80T QLED (2020 Model) and some models supports "Dolby 5.1 Decoder" and some models don't.

What exactly is this and it can affect me in my Listening experience ?

If desired sound is from TV too then you don't need to worry.
Some TV models have a Dolby decoder in them and simulate surround sound with the available speakers.
Cheers,
Raghu

If desired sound is from TV too then you don't need to worry.
Some TV models have a Dolby decoder in them and simulate surround sound with the available speakers.
Cheers,
Raghu
So if i plan to use Sounbar... this is irrelevant to me ?

Most TVs will put out 2ch PCM over optical
Some do put out 5.1 DD or DTS
If the soundbar can decode this and work its magic, it'll sound better than just TV speakers

Cheers,
Raghu

So if i plan to use Sounbar... this is irrelevant to me ?
Just to give you detail explanation, I have paired my Samsung Smart LED with Yamaha YAS-109 Soundbar via HDMI (ARC).
The TV Digital output has following options
  • PCM
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • DTS
  • DTS neo 2.5
Yamaha YAS-109 is capable of decoding all the above formats beautifully without any issues & you can feel the difference in sound signature / effects too.

However when i select "Dolby Digital Plus", there is no sound from YAS-109, becoz Yamaha YAS-109 doesn't decode "Dolby Digital Plus" signal.
To summarise ensure you pickup Soundbar/AVR which is capable of decorating various Digital output if you really want to enjoy 5.1 / Surround sound. Else just leave the Digital output to PCM & Soundbar/AVR will pick-it up as is.

Cheers,
:cool:

Just to give you detail explanation, I have paired my Samsung Smart LED with Yamaha YAS-109 Soundbar via HDMI (ARC).

But Buddy, i am buying a new TV one model has Dolby 5.1 Decoder ans one isnt - I am not able to understand what it is and how it can affect me as the end user ?

My New TV Link: https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/qled-tv-q80t/QA55Q80TAKXXL/
Here, i am buying 49" and it doesnt has under Specs - Dolby 5.1 Decoder

But Buddy, i am buying a new TV one model has Dolby 5.1 Decoder ans one isnt - I am not able to understand what it is and how it can affect me as the end user ?

Short answer.
No it will not diminish your TV experience if DD5.1 is not natively supported on a particular model.
On the model that does support it (link you mention) it will try to simulate surround sound which is what DD5.1 is about.

Cheers,
Raghu

Short answer.
No it will not diminish your TV experience if DD5.1 is not natively supported on a particular model.
On the model that does support it (link you mention) it will try to simulate surround sound which is what DD5.1 is about.

Raghu, so DD5.1 is different than DD and DD+ ?
Anyways, i was always under impression if i got a soundbar or dedicated 5.1 speakers, TV's support doesnt matter.... Damn i was wrong.
In future i am also getting Atmos satellites for my soundbar, hence it wont matter na if my tv doesnt have tht decoder 5.1 support ?

DD5.1 is just one for flavors of Dolby technologies; so is Dolby Atmos, which is newer tech

If AVR+speakers are planned, then TV support does not matter
If using soundbar there are two requisites:
- TV should put DD/DD+ signal on Optical out or HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- Soundbar should be capable of decoding DD/Atmos and render the sound to how many ever speakers are planned

I suggest you download the manuals of the TVs that you have or planning to buy and see what fits your current/future requirements

Cheers,
Raghu

I suggest you download the manuals of the TVs that you have or planning to buy and see what fits your current/future requirements

Well summarised by @raghupb - Look for TV which fits your current & future requirements, it should at-least cover you for next 5yrs else with rapid changing eco system you will find yourself compromising & end up disappointed with your purchase.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back