SAMSUNG UA40B6000 LED v/s SONY 40W550

GeoTracks

To start with, would like to admit that I have shortlisted the SONY 40V550 & 40W550 (BE3) and hence went around this weekend to compare these. Along the way I found aggressive pushing on SAMSUNG LEDs by almost all electronic outlets (Hypercity, Ezone, Reliance Digital etc.).

With SAMSUNG advertising so aggressively for its LEDs this festive season, on TVs, magazines, internet pages etc. had to also look at the UA40B600 today.

Finally shortlisted the SONY 40W550, 40V550 AND SAMSUNG UA40B6000 (LED) after seeing these, this weekend. Here is why, as follows:

With LG now coming up with LH90 (full dimming LED), SAMSUNG is going very aggressive on pricing their LED TVs. The UA40B6000 which is 1.12L with 22 Samsung LCD, is now selling for 85K w/o the 22 LCD. Further bargaining can bring down the cost to around 80K +-.

All stores I visited, had the same thing to say, they voted for the UA40B6000 over the 40W550 in PQ, features, looks etc. Now understand that SAMSUNG may have a better commission on its sets sold, but that aside, what do guys here feel between the SONY W series & the SAMSUNG LED UA40B6000?

I spent a good amount of time in the stores and adjusted the settings to almost equal on the SONY W & V series and compared the SAME settings with the LED. Tested with regular Tata Sky channels. The difference was very noticeable indeed. The LED was much crispier than the W & V series. With the same contrast & brightness adjusted the LED shows a much better picture. There were others in the store who also agreed that the LED looked better. Yes, I was testing TATA Sky (SD signal) channels to do a realistic comparison. Fortunately at that time, on the discovery channel there was some Marine & Island program going on and I could really compare the blues, greens and other marine & island colors along with skin tones and bright marine costumes. The LED really looked better. I have to agree that the sound on the SONY was slightly better than the LED speakers.

Yes, I inquired about the 40B650 too, but stores do not have it and they are all pushing for the UA40B6000 at a lesser price now, compared to earlier prices.

Hard thing is that I have almost made up my mind on a SONY V or a W series bcos of the BE3 and other points. However, the Samsung LED is really confused me now. It really looked better and for the festive price of around 80K or less it is very attractive. Understand that on this forum, the general thought is that this SAMSUNG LED is not really a LED (it is edge lit) and the price is way too high. But now if the price is comparable to the SONY W & V series, the SAMSUNG LED is now a serious contender for the festive season.

For now lets rule out the 40B650, since it is not available anywhere and with a price of 80K it is almost the same as UA40B6000 LED.

The questions I have are:
(i) Since not many Indian consumers may have bought the LED earlier bcos of the premium pricing, we really do not know what kind of issues / problems consumers may have with LED technology on the sets sold in India. It could turn out none at all, in which case it is good. But apprehension is always there. While the SONY W & V series are time tested with BE3. In case of any issues with the LED, wonder how SAMSUNG customer service would handle it. Comments?

(ii) The LED speakers are at the back while the SONY has conventional front speakers which sound better. Not going to wall mount the LCD / LED. Since the speakers are at the back, wonder how they will sound once the LED is placed on the wall unit table. I have a HTS, but we will not be connecting it for everyday TV watching. Only on weekends or holidays with DVD movies etc. Hence we will be using the TV speakers a lot for our use.

Understand that this is a detailed post, but I really need thoughts from all you guys in comparing the UA40B6000 (not the UA40B7000, since it is over my budget) LED and the SONY W & V series.

well the samsung LED edgelight lcd,uses a more aggressive dynamic backlight control, u can't stop it,from dimming or increasing the brightness.so u get the impression that its so much more brighter.
while i can't comment on the colors since thats entirely subjective.again at places where the edgelight brightness up i.e say a particular row u will see the colors to be a bit more aggressive in that row,some of the colors are brighter then are supposed to be.some like it, some don't.
but it doesn't in anyway increases the true contrast,only the dynamic contrast.

yes LED lcd sets are pushed more,i am suprised that they are no longer stocking the regular B6xx,B7xx CCFL lcds.the profit margin in samsung tvs itself is very high ,with the arrival of LED lcds,which actualy may work out to be cheaper to manufacture since,they use only 6 to 8 white leds(cheaper then CCFL bulbs).they don't need such an expensive driver/power supply like the one used for CCFL.since there are power LED that can be even direct driven,with simple current regulators which u find in many good led flashlights.

Last edited:
well the samsung LED edgelight lcd,uses a more aggressive dynamic backlight control, u can't stop it,from dimming or increasing the brightness.so u get the impression that its so much more brighter.
while i can't comment on the colors since thats entirely subjective.again at places where the edgelight brightness up i.e say a particular row u will see the colors to be a bit more aggressive in that row,some of the colors are brighter then are supposed to be.some like it, some don't.
but it doesn't in anyway increases the true contrast,only the dynamic contrast.

yes LED lcd sets are pushed more,i am suprised that they are no longer stocking the regular B6xx,B7xx CCFL lcds.the profit margin in samsung tvs itself is very high ,with the arrival of LED lcds,which actualy may work out to be cheaper to manufacture since,they use only 6 to 8 white leds(cheaper then CCFL bulbs).they don't need such an expensive driver/power supply like the one used for CCFL.since there are power LED that can be even direct driven,with simple current regulators which u find in many good led flashlights.

Thanks for the prompt detailed response.

However, I am still confused and my original questions unanswered.

Now that you mentioned about the backlight dimming on LED has no control, what does it mean? Never actually tested this. Only played around with contrast & brightness on both, LED & W/V series.

Another e.g., on the Tata Sky Discovery channel, the logo was some much more 'crispier' on the LED as compared to the W & V series. Funny, b'cos, in another post a W series owner is actually discussing resolution to a "issue with text on screen". Not saying that W & V series have this issue, but I do recollect now and kind of agree with the 'slight haziness' of text on SD signal for W & V series compared to the Samsung LED.

Is the edge lit Samsung LED at the 80K price range a better buy or the SONY W / V series at the 90K price range a better but? Not really a videophyle but would like a decent PQ for regular Tata Sky viewing.

Thanks for the prompt detailed response.

However, I am still confused and my original questions unanswered.

Now that you mentioned about the backlight dimming on LED has no control, what does it mean? Never actually tested this. Only played around with contrast & brightness on both, LED & W/V series.

Another e.g., on the Tata Sky Discovery channel, the logo was some much more 'crispier' on the LED as compared to the W & V series. Funny, b'cos, in another post a W series owner is actually discussing resolution to a "issue with text on screen". Not saying that W & V series have this issue, but I do recollect now and kind of agree with the 'slight haziness' of text on SD signal for W & V series compared to the Samsung LED.

Is the edge lit Samsung LED at the 80K price range a better buy or the SONY W / V series at the 90K price range a better but? Not really a videophyle but would like a decent PQ for regular Tata Sky viewing.

the samsung LED lcd as the exact same image processing what u find in B6xx or B5xx in the SD quality department,so the upscaling won't be as good as the BE3.well if u happen to own a FHD tv(be it a plasma,LED /lcd) and if u happen to be used to a crt u will notice that it won't be as sharp as crt.in the showrooms u fail to notice that because its next to other flatscreen tvs.

due to the undefeatable dimming u may notice all these.meaning the tv will dim no matter what,depending on programmed algorithm,at pre determined scenerios.since it uses EDGE LED,as we all know no matter how good the optics in camera are,it still isn't perfect.
same goes to EDGE LED since one single LED as to use optics to diffuse the light evenly across a 40" screen,there will be variations in brigtness.so if the LED was located at the right side of the screen u may have noticed a higher lumens in that part,which may have resulted in a crisper image,a row in a edge LED will have a variation in the light output from one end to other.
infact u will notice clouding or flashlighting more easily in a EDGE LED lcd,be it a sony ,samsung or anyother company,usualy at the sides.

Hi,

Go in for the samsung LED only if you are using it to watch FULL HD contents, other wise no use. I own the 46" LED series6 from samsung and I use it only for viewing FULL HD contents. If your going to watch Tata Sky/Sun Direct/Airtel dish etc.....spending money on a LED TV is not worth IMO...unless spending is not an issue.

cheers.

Hi,
Go in for the samsung LED only if you are using it to watch FULL HD contents, other wise no use. I own the 46" LED series6 from samsung and I use it only for viewing FULL HD contents. If your going to watch Tata Sky/Sun Direct/Airtel dish etc.....spending money on a LED TV is not worth IMO...unless spending is not an issue.
cheers.

Thanks for sharing your LED opinion. Have you had any major / minor issues with the edge lit LED TV or any other problems with the LED TV? My viewing will be mainly Tata Sky (SD content) and some DVD/VCD, but since the LED price now is close to the SONY W/V series, is why I am considering it. Thought is, if I am spending around 80K, why not an LED, since it is a newer technology for TVs in India.

@adder:
Thanks for your detailed explanation. Makes sense now and clearer on backlight dimming. Though, as you often tell others in the forum, you do not suggest any one brand over the other for obvious reasons, but from what I infer reading your reasoning is that, the W/V series may need another serious look prior to finalizing between the W/V & the LED, right?
Have another question. The LED seems to have 4 HDMI outputs and not very many Component & Composite outputs, right? Given that I do not have any devices currently requiring HDMI output, not sure if the LED will meet my needs w/o a Component out splitter right? Presently have devices like DVD, VCR, HTS, Tata Sky & Xbox all of which have Component outputs. From an Input / Output specs, looks like the V/W have more of these than the UA40B600 LED right? Or does this not matter?

Thanks for sharing your LED opinion. Have you had any major / minor issues with the edge lit LED TV or any other problems with the LED TV? My viewing will be mainly Tata Sky (SD content) and some DVD/VCD, but since the LED price now is close to the SONY W/V series, is why I am considering it. Thought is, if I am spending around 80K, why not an LED, since it is a newer technology for TVs in India.

Hi,

My experience with the LED is really cool.....no edge lit problems. I've already enjoyed watching around 15-20 Full HD movies from my collection of around 200 and odd 1080p movies. I also watched the complete series of BBC's PlanetEarth.....amazing colors. I watched all these with my old LG HT setup, but now sold them and bought my new Mission MV8 just this week.....so waiting to set that up and continue with my rest of the 1080p collection.

And I'm a hardcore fan of 1080p and dts audio, and so completely avoid watching our regular cable TV....since they are not even 720p.

All sports from ESPN/STAR SPORTS are available to d'load in 1080p.... so I prefer them.....even though I dont get it LIVE, I can wait for the rip.

Enjoy.

Gfreeman,

I saw the opposite, when i watched the discovery channel on both W series and Samsung 6000, i saw that the logo was crisper and sharper in W series then in 6000 series. This was in both Ezone and Adhiswar. Also both the sets were uncalibrated.

There are very few places where these two sets are side by side to compare.

One advantage of 6000 series is that it can play MKV files directly and this is a very good option.

If one parameters is the audio quality of the TV, then definitely I would sony is way better because of the clarity.

@adder:
Thanks for your detailed explanation. Makes sense now and clearer on backlight dimming. Though, as you often tell others in the forum, you do not suggest any one brand over the other for obvious reasons, but from what I infer reading your reasoning is that, the W/V series may need another serious look prior to finalizing between the W/V & the LED, right?
Have another question. The LED seems to have 4 HDMI outputs and not very many Component & Composite outputs, right? Given that I do not have any devices currently requiring HDMI output, not sure if the LED will meet my needs w/o a Component out splitter right? Presently have devices like DVD, VCR, HTS, Tata Sky & Xbox all of which have Component outputs. From an Input / Output specs, looks like the V/W have more of these than the UA40B600 LED right? Or does this not matter?

well i would rather ask u to narrow it down to B650 and W550A.i would prefer the extra contrast of the W550A then compared to V550A.
all tvs manufacture are reducing the number of components IN,since why would u want that when u have HDMI.even sony S series has just 1 component in,the V and W still have 2.
but since u already have bought most of the other devices i guess u may use one component in for TS DTH in the future or in case u opt for their new STB.u may buy a VGA cable for ur xbox,it will take care of DVD playback.ur vcr will use composite IN,not sure what ur hts use.but yes interms of input connection the W and V series have the edge.

Gfreeman,

I saw the opposite, when i watched the discovery channel on both W series and Samsung 6000, i saw that the logo was crisper and sharper in W series then in 6000 series. This was in both Ezone and Adhiswar. Also both the sets were uncalibrated.

There are very few places where these two sets are side by side to compare.

One advantage of 6000 series is that it can play MKV files directly and this is a very good option.

If one parameters is the audio quality of the TV, then definitely I would sony is way better because of the clarity.

Sorry Srinivas29. Which post of mine were u referring to?

but since u already have bought most of the other devices i guess u may use one component in for TS DTH in the future or in case u opt for their new STB.u may buy a VGA cable for ur xbox,it will take care of DVD playback.ur vcr will use composite IN,not sure what ur hts use.but yes interms of input connection the W and V series have the edge.

Does the new Tata Sky + box have HDMI or Component out?

This may sound like a nave question, but what is the difference between a component & composite terminal? My DVD, VCR, Tata Sky, HTS I have connected using the Red, White and Yellow RCA cables. These are composite cables, right?

Then there are terminals called (Y/Pb/Pr), this I assume will be Component, right?

Out of the box, my devices got the Red, White & Yellow (composite??) cables and hence I just stuck with them thus far. Never upgraded these. PQ is acceptable. Does the Y/Pb/Pr connections mean like Monster Cables?

Asking, b'cos I am particularly concerned that since I have 4 devices (DVD, VCR, HTS & Tata Sky) all having the Red, White & Yellow connecting cables, would I be in a situation with the UA40B6000 which has only 1 Component (Y/Pb/Pr). How would I connect all these devices? With A/V splitter I suppose, in which case, I would have to manually switch the buttons each time using a different device, right?

The UA40B6000 brochure says, Composite (AV) Common Use for Component Y. What does this mean?

I also noticed that this LED does not have a headphone jack, neither rear nor side. Not that I use this often, but would be good to have, if ever I need to connect my wireless headset, right? The W/V series does have a headphone jack.

Does the new Tata Sky + box have HDMI or Component out?
it has a component out.

This may sound like a nave question, but what is the difference between a component & composite terminal? My DVD, VCR, Tata Sky, HTS I have connected using the Red, White and Yellow RCA cables. These are composite cables, right?

Then there are terminals called (Y/Pb/Pr), this I assume will be Component, right?
yep thats right.

Out of the box, my devices got the Red, White & Yellow (composite??) cables and hence I just stuck with them thus far. Never upgraded these. PQ is acceptable. Does the Y/Pb/Pr connections mean like Monster Cables?
monster cable is just a company,so u don't exactly need a monster cable.

Asking, b'cos I am particularly concerned that since I have 4 devices (DVD, VCR, HTS & Tata Sky) all having the Red, White & Yellow connecting cables, would I be in a situation with the UA40B6000 which has only 1 Component (Y/Pb/Pr). How would I connect all these devices? With A/V splitter I suppose, in which case, I would have to manually switch the buttons each time using a different device, right?

The UA40B6000 brochure says, Composite (AV) Common Use for Component Y. What does this mean? [/QUOTE]
its mean its a dual use, so that means if u connect a device with composite in,then u can't connect a device with component out.or vice versa,so that means at any give time u can only connect ur tata sky and u cannot connect ur xbox via component or vice versa.if u want to use both u have to connect ur TS in RF.

I also noticed that this LED does not have a headphone jack, neither rear nor side. Not that I use this often, but would be good to have, if ever I need to connect my wireless headset, right? The W/V series does have a headphone jack.
well it is good to have a headphone jack.

Saw both LG LED and samsung LED side by side...and to my surprise...samsung was much crisper than LG... (feed was from tata sky...)

LG was on Vivid...and samsung was set to Dynamic...

i was watching cricket match...no blur artifacts...
but for some reason..incase of black regions...the details was not that great on LG..(still one can live with it..nothing bad)..
samsung image procssing was quite gud...gud details...

overall the contrast surpasses most of the LCD in the showroom...including V550, W 550...sammys...

"pop" in these LED LCDs was quite noticeable and ..the 3D ish image...and i really liked it...

For the price..LG is steal..

47 inch for 79K odd....( i dont think we have any other 46 + LCDs in that price bracket)

samsung LED was for 1.12 lkh...with 22 inch LCD....

My Dilemma:

Either to go with the latest 47 inch LG LED....

or get samsung 40/46 B550 for 58K/79K....( I liked the overall SD processing for B550...and for that price its a steal...considering one can tweak it to play .MKV files...)

please suggest...

Saw both LG LED and samsung LED side by side...and to my surprise...samsung was much crisper than LG... (feed was from tata sky...)

LG was on Vivid...and samsung was set to Dynamic...

i was watching cricket match...no blur artifacts...
but for some reason..incase of black regions...the details was not that great on LG..(still one can live with it..nothing bad)..
samsung image procssing was quite gud...gud details...

overall the contrast surpasses most of the LCD in the showroom...including V550, W 550...sammys...

"pop" in these LED LCDs was quite noticeable and ..the 3D ish image...and i really liked it...

For the price..LG is steal..

47 inch for 79K odd....( i dont think we have any other 46 + LCDs in that price bracket)

samsung LED was for 1.12 lkh...with 22 inch LCD....

My Dilemma:

Either to go with the latest 47 inch LG LED....

or get samsung 40/46 B550 for 58K/79K....( I liked the overall SD processing for B550...and for that price its a steal...considering one can tweak it to play .MKV files...)

please suggest...

once again these edgeLED lcds only have higher undefeatable dynamic contrast,so it dims and brightness up at its own discretion.its true contrast is just like other samsung lcd tvs.in a showroom it will be good,but in a house u will mostly set the backlight or edge light to the lowest settings or close to that.
natively the samsung which have a VA based lcd will have better blacks and shadow details.

once again these edgeLED lcds only have higher undefeatable dynamic contrast,so it dims and brightness up at its own discretion.its true contrast is just like other samsung lcd tvs.in a showroom it will be good,but in a house u will mostly set the backlight or edge light to the lowest settings or close to that.
natively the samsung which have a VA based lcd will have better blacks and shadow details.

Adder, the LH90 is not edgelit but backlit with local dimming zones (i think abt 96 of them.. there was some confusion on the no of local dimming zones, the last i checked the other forums)

Adder, the LH90 is not edgelit but backlit with local dimming zones (i think abt 96 of them.. there was some confusion on the no of local dimming zones, the last i checked the other forums)

was talking about the samsung luxia range of led lcds.

Hi,

I need some help urgently. After all the reading I have zeroed in on buying the Samsung 40B650. Under some special corporate discount I am getting this for 68K. But I am also getting the 40B6000 LED one for around 72K.

I am not in favor of the LED on account of no USB movie playback (I dont want to void my warranty by doing changes to service menu), only one composite IN (i need to connect Tata Sky and HTS) and issues with auto dimming and uneven backlighting (from the forums).

Please suggest does it make sense to still go for the B650 despite such a narrow cost difference. Am i missing something by not going for the LED LCD at such a great price. Also is it a issue that B650 is no longer being supplied by company.

I like the Sony W550 but my only issue is i want to be able to play a lot of my movies from my HD via USB. Is there some way these files can be played. I am getting the Sony W550 for 75k.

Would really appreciate if i could get some suggestions on this soon.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

I need some help urgently. After all the reading I have zeroed in on buying the Samsung 40B650. Under some special corporate discount I am getting this for 68K. But I am also getting the 40B6000 LED one for around 72K.

I am not in favor of the LED on account of no USB movie playback (I dont want to void my warranty by doing changes to service menu), only one composite IN (i need to connect Tata Sky and HTS) and issues with auto dimming and uneven backlighting (from the forums).

Please suggest does it make sense to still go for the B650 despite such a narrow cost difference. Am i missing something by not going for the LED LCD at such a great price. Also is it a issue that B650 is no longer being supplied by company.

I like the Sony W550 but my only issue is i want to be able to play a lot of my movies from my HD via USB. Is there some way these files can be played. I am getting the Sony W550 for 75k.

Would really appreciate if i could get some suggestions on this soon.

Thanks in Advance.
Get W550 and get a Western Digital HD Media player for arnd 7k and all your movie playing needs will be covered.

WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back