Sansui AU-8500 Problem

SmeedWoker

So I was looking around online today and saw an ad for someone looking to buy vintage stereo equipment. I remembered I had my dads old stuff in storage. I pulled out a sansui au-8500 and a pair of celestion 66 studio monitors. I hooked up the speakers but I am getting very little output from them. I used my phone with an rca to aux cable for the source. The amp has been sitting for close to 20 years.

Could the issue be in the speakers or does the amp just need a recap? Can I use a multimeter to check or should I just try different speakers? Or should I try a different source like a tape deck or something? Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Your best bet for info on the Sansui TOTLs is audiokarma.org. I've not heard the 8500 but do have the 9500. Well worth the effort with a restoration.

There are plenty of people in your neck of the woods.

Check the bias and DC offset.
Probably has drifted way too much.
Sometimes it's just the controls that get damaged by dust or may be even the relays.
If it was in good shape during storage it's probably the controls and switches.
Regreasing transistors mounted to heat sink will also keep the amp healthy.

Try some deoxit and see if it helps .

thanks for writing in, firstly an amp that is stored for that long, should not be cold-started like that :)
one should use a variac and gently power it on
don't want to scare you but the usual consequence is - the cold start with leaky caps (assuming a few of them may be) could lead to semiconductor failure caused by various factors including bias
from where you are right now, the amp will need a thorough check

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back