Scan-speak discovery vs Vifa classic

jenson

Hi, both are made in denmark with the discovery series being cheaper than the rarer vifa classic which is expensive by 30 pounds per driver.... Any thoughts... Law of pricing indicates vifa is better than the discovery series... Does anyone have experience with this line... Would the sonic signature be drastically different...

1. https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1/vifa-classic-driver-units.html

Purpose - recently acquired spendor s3/5, one speaker frame obliterated in transit, older spendors had plastic frame... Looks like it weakened over time. Spendor doesn't make these drivers any more... So, looking for suitable replacement...rest of the speaker box etc in good condition..

2. https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/scanspeak-18w-8424g00-midwoofer-discovery-range.html

Don't you have to use the exact same driver that originally came with enclosure ?

If not, wouldn't it invalidate the careful measurements and tuning they might have made to the enclosure ?

You cannot replace a driver with another as the Cabinet, crossover are all are specific to a driver and you will mess with the efficiency, sensitivity , phase, impedance almost everything. Doing that only for one speaker is even worse.

Suggest you try and find that specific driver on ebay etc..and even then buy a pair.

Last edited:
Hi Jenson if you looking for spendor s3/5 mid woofer replacement first of all those mid bass drivers are custom made by spendor with matching crossover.You will never get a replacement outside.Just look for any closed speck matching.There tweeter are scanspeak. Unfortunately they tuned in a way that mid and tweeter and brilliantly matched by excellent crossover design that's why they put magical vocals. We will never get such output by any drivers outside. So check to repair the driver if you can.

Agree with all the points mentioned... This research has been going on for more than a month, spoke to spendor, Wilmslow, falcon, madison, diy thread..and what not... Conclusion is.. I am stuck. Either I dump this magnificent piece of work... Or forget about making it sound as it was meant to and just live with some adjustments.

wrt to crossovers, I read it in forums that it's like fingerprint, that unique. I knew it then, I'm f*ckd.

Another problem, spendor mid l woofer has width of 142mm, guess who makes speakers with that rebate, no one.
So, I'll have to modify the cabinet rebate too...

Well..money down the pipe...seller committed to pay part of cost for the driver... If that happens, atleast there is some decency in the world. Else, live with it. planets keeps spinning :)

And guess what, I parted with my jbl 4312e for this. New owner of jbl is happy in chennai. :)

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back