Schiit Yggdrasil data signals turning OFF where as unit power stays ON

rahul_muzik

Hi dear FM,

My Audio set up consists of

Power supply

1. Raw wall socket power supply ( Voltage fluctuations regulated by Servo stabilizer 10KVA (mechanical design by rotating arm on transformer) for Home theatre, lights, fans & Audio system)
2. Invention Audio -1st model power conditioner
3. Schiit dac , Allo Shanti & Accuphase E-250 Int amplifier connected to IA Power conditioner

Source
1. Raspberry PI with Allo signature (Volumio installed)
2. Power supply from Allo LPS to Raspberry PI & Signature for clean & dirty power supply

Connections
1. Allo signature connected via coaxial BNC to Schiit Yggdrasil.
2. Schiit Yggdrasil connected to Accuphase int amp E-250 via XLR balanced from Joshua

Problem description

Plays audio fine as long as no switches are either turned off & on. Whenever when any switch is turned on/off for light or fan, data lights signals on Schiit blinks & audio interrupts.

My exercises

1. I have removed servo stabilizer out of the equation & checked, same problem appeared.
2. I used head phones on Raspberry PI & found audio is coming during switches on/off. It also seems Allo LPS has lot of caps to supply power even for 1s for power interruptions.

Guess i should add a online ups to isolate audio system from others. Any help would be greatful in this regard

Cheers
Rahul

Last edited:
How is the raspberry Pi connected to the home network?
Through a lan wire or WiFi?
If lan cable , is it a very long run?

Could you try using a power bank to power the signature and see if that makes a difference?

MaSh

I had faced same problem when i had changed the coax cable and prepared a hand made cable for experimentation purpose.

Switching back to my normal old coax cable had resolved it.

Try changing the coax cable.
OR try with a different RCA cable. It does not necessary have to be 75ohms.

Last edited:
How is the raspberry Pi connected to the home network?
Through a lan wire or WiFi?
If lan cable , is it a very long run?
via WiFi
Could you try using a power bank to power the signature and see if that makes a difference?

MaSh

Powered the Raspberry Pi using Power bank, problem still persists, audio interrupting with signal indicators on DAC turning off & then on but 01 good thing happened, i got immediately struck with more resolution, instruments were more clear. Power bank is more better on dirty side than dirty power of Allo shanti LPS.
I had faced same problem when i had changed the coax cable and prepared a hand made cable for experimentation purpose.

Switching back to my normal old coax cable had resolved it.

Try changing the coax cable.
OR try with a different RCA cable. It does not necessary have to be 75ohms.
Tried changing cable, no improvments.

Last edited:
via WiFi

Powered the Raspberry Pi using Power bank, problem still persists, audio interrupting with signal indicators on DAC turning off & then on but 01 good thing happened, i got immediately struck with more resolution, instruments were more clear. Power bank is more better on dirty side than dirty power of Allo shanti LPS.
Yes power bank makes a noticeable difference.

I would next suspect the dac power supply. Do you have a computer ups at home ? Try connecting all components except the amplifier to it and try. Try the ups in both powered as well as back up mode.

MaSh

Did you trying changing source?

Instead of any kind of computer try to use a cd player or a bdp and connnect it via coaxial or optical and see if you face same issue.
Somehow I feel you won't face the issue then.
Its more of an issue with source rather then dac.

Saying this with past experience.
When i used to roon on my laptop which was connected to my dac via usb I faced such an issue once in a while whenever any switch In the music room was turned on or off inspite of dac and laptop connected to a wall plug getting power from a dedicated phase and a separate power line

When you switch on/off, high voltage transient is being generated somewhere. This normally happens if you have a inductive load somewhere.
Each time you turn on, turn off, load, or unload an inductive device, you produce a transient. Inductive devices are those devices that use “magnetic mass” to function. Examples of inductive loads are motors and transformers. The inductive “kick” from a 5-horsepower motor turning on can produce a transient in excess of 1,000 volts. A motor with a faulty winding, commutator, or other insulation faults can produce a continuous stream of transients exceeding 600 volts! Even transformers can produce a large transient, particularly when energizing. Interestingly enough, this isn’t produced the way many people think (from the sudden load on the system), but is a result of the collapse of the magnetic field upon energizing the transformer.
It could be your servo or the power conditioner. The servo has a huge transformer. The power conditioner too has inductors inside. One of our own forum member fried his PS audio amp using the power conditioner Try to eliminate your sources one by one.

1. Connect your power plugs directly without the servo or the power conditioner
2. Connect your power plugs to the servo, without the power conditioner and the servo directly conneted to wall socket
3. Connect your power plugs to the power conditioner with the power conditioner connected directly to wall socket

Last edited:
2. I used head phones on Raspberry PI & found audio is coming during switches on/off.
When using headphone it is working, it means that the digital out from coax is getting disturbed during fan/tubelight switch on-off, and is causing the issue.

via WiFi

Tried changing cable, no improvments.
Did you experiment with just BNC only? Or tried rca aswell.

I am also facing same problem with Raspberray PI zeor 2w.
I did not faced this issue, when I was using Intel NUC.
Rest of the music chain is exact same.

Following power supplies, I have tried, however the problem persist.
  • Raspberry PI standard wall socket power adapter
  • Allo Nirvana SMPS based power supply
  • Power Bank

In my case Fan, Light, Door Bell causes music to stop.
I am using piCorePlayer, so after restarting squeezelite. Don't need to reboot Raspberry PI.
Music start working.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back