Seagate Wireless HDD

Santy

Seagate Wireless Plus

wireless-plus-hero-left-313x313.jpg

Should be great for streaming audio/video files to different devices over wifi.
Sold for 199 USD for 1 TB in US. In India priced at Rs. 16000 MRP I guess? Quite steep.

The Seagate Media app has been developed for all major mobile devices, including Android, Kindle Fire HD, Apple iOS and will also work with just about any device that can connect to a Wi-Fi network. Additionally, you can use Wireless Plus to enjoy video, photos, music and even documents on the big screen via Apple Airplay, DLNA or an app designed specifically for Samsung Smart TVs and Blu-ray players.

The new 1TB wireless drive comes with a removable SuperSpeed USB3.0 adapter for quick loading of photos, video, music and even documents.

I suggest buy a 1TB USB HDD in India less than 6K and then add a 3K router with USB, you will get the same output in less than the US price. The only plus would be this new buindled media centric app but I am sure you will get routers that support DD-WRT formware and can be hacked to install UPNP servers as well. So save your 200 USD

I suggest buy a 1TB USB HDD in India less than 6K and then add a 3K router with USB, you will get the same output in less than the US price. The only plus would be this new buindled media centric app but I am sure you will get routers that support DD-WRT formware and can be hacked to install UPNP servers as well. So save your 200 USD

I did think about it. But I guess its not just about transferring the files on wifi. The drive itself is truly wire free. No cable needed to use it, unlike the one needed to connect the HDD to the Router with USB.

I mean, I could keep the hard disk in my laptop bag all the time and use it wherever I go. Also I can use it to transfer files on wifi hotspot even when there's no wifi network available? Not that I know a lot about this. Just thinking aloud.

I am not very happy with wireless streaming of High Definition Video.
I tried with Hi Media & the old Xtreamer Sidewinder connected to Buffalo Air Station. The movie keeps freezing up once in a while.

Well wifi video streaming is hiccups for many so no surpirses here. Unless AC protocol does wonders in 5GHz band. Until that best is wired mode.

For Santy, where does the get its power from? I guess if you are not connecting it via usb then at least an independant power supply would be required calling for wires.

Trust me, these wifi HDDs, wifi docks are a fancy with a very sellable concept but not meant for serious use in all types of scenarios.

I too was wondering about this product and it's usefulness. Just cannot write this off even though the price is a bit on the higher side. The problem with 3K wifi routers is their overall ability to work as a uPnP server. They are prone to issues from what I've read across various reviews.
BTW - I am easily able to stream full HD movies (with multiple audio streams) easily across 2 rooms using an out of the box N66U connected to my WDTV via WiFi.

Back