search for an affordable audio-Nirvana

rupy

I have always been a quandary as regards setting up an ultimate and affordable hi-fi system; I have auditioned some very simple set ups sounding great, and very expensive systems sounding just O.K. The deeper I have gone into the Best Buys, the more confusing it is. I want help from an audio enthusiast with a wide experience of auditioning different equipment /accessories who can help in setting up a dream system which could be affordable. I feel that ideally, after coming to any conclusions in narrowing down to a few recommended systems, the price difference in these should be primarily for audio systems classified only in terms of wattage to suit different size listening environments. I feel that this is the right place for many likeminded people to put in their bit and would many a lost hi-fi soul to attain an affordable Audio-Nirvana. The search is on

Coming from chandigarh .. must be a few lacs :eek:hyeah:
@gobble
I'm sure there are more millionaires in Bangalore than in Chandigarh :)
@rupy
What is the size of your room and your listening preferences?Are you looking for a two channel or a multi channel set up?You will not find audio nirvana with the equipment available in Chandigarh but there is no harm in auditioning stuff at:
Melody House Sector 35(Don't remember address.You can inquire from their Sector 17 shop).Yamaha,Wharfedale
Simphony Sector 8 (above Sony,Madhya Marg).Denon,Klipsch,Focal,Mission
Circuit Mall ( DT Mall)Marantz,JBL,Jamo

I am basically interested in a two channel affair.My room size is approx 12x15 feet.What I mean by audio nirvana at a budget is,that I definitely do not agree that you have break a bank to get it.I am sure that there is excellent and matching equipment available in the country (including imported stuff).I feel that there are two broad categories,one which is more interested in sowing off the value and the brand name,the other which is primarily interested in good sound.
The places you mentioned in Chandigarh do not have much to offer.The stuff may have to be procured from elsewhere.
Thanks.

hi Venkat,

The OP of the thread has indicated One Lakh budget, but not indicated his musical preferences.

N.Murali

Hi Rupy,

For your budget of a lakh and considering your room size you can opt for :

1. Source : CDP - Marantz CD 6003/ NAD

2. Amps : Marantz PM 8003, Cambridge Audio 550A, Rotel, NAD

3. Speakers : KEF Q300, PSB Image B-6, MS Mezzo, Dali IKON-2, EPOS

4. Interconnects from Chord / Quinex

5. Speaker Cables from Chord/ Belden/ Quinex

Hope this helps,

N.Murali

I am basically interested in a two channel affair.My room size is approx 12x15 feet.What I mean by audio nirvana at a budget is,that I definitely do not agree that you have break a bank to get it.I am sure that there is excellent and matching equipment available in the country (including imported stuff).I feel that there are two broad categories,one which is more interested in sowing off the value and the brand name,the other which is primarily interested in good sound.
The places you mentioned in Chandigarh do not have much to offer.The stuff may have to be procured from elsewhere.
Thanks.
Audio Nirvana at a 'budget' sounds good in theory.But it does not work in practise.I started my search a year back with a simlar budget.It took me 6-7 months and several hits to realise that MY version of Nirvana would not be acquired so easily or cheaply.I finally wound up spending 4 or 5 times my original budget.And that too for demo or used products.I have found Nirvana and have no intention of further trying to tweak or upgrade my system for several years.
The first issue which needs to be resolved is the allocation of scarce capital.Whether to buy new or buy used and better brands.If I had bought new I would not have been able to afford the Bryston combo,the Vienna Acoustics or the
Transparent Audio cables and IC's.Perhaps not even a cdp of the level of Arcam 192.I have not bought these brands for their 'brand' value or for their price tags.I have not bought them for their reviews in Stereophile or Whathifi.I bought them after making SEVERAL expensive mistakes initially.I bought them over a period of 6 months,a unit at a time after I had established a certain level of trust wirh a dealer and the products and pricing he was offering.I bought them after extensive research and NO audition.I was lucky!For somebody starting out on buying a new hifi system I feel a visit to Mumbai,Bangalore or Chennai is essential.Delhi has very little to offer if one wants to audition various Midfi brands.
But the catch is that a 2-3 day visit to a metro alone would cost 20K or more if one has to travel by air and stay in a hotel.

Last edited:
Congrats on achieving what you wanted.The eqpt mentioned is really high end and unaffordable to many of us.But if you have someone in mind who helped you in buying the gear,please give me his reference.
Thanks.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back