Search for Beedroom bookshelf speakers

AMITNOIDA

I am looking for a pair of Bookshelf speakers since last 4-5 months for my bedroom. I have space problem in my bedroom and that makes my task more difficult.

I have so far listened few speakers e.g.
- Tannoy F1 & Tannoy Reveal 6 with Viren's SET Amp
- MS 902i nd Mezzo2 with CA 640A
- Usher S521, BE 718 and Mini Dancer with Leben 600 series
- Epos 12.2i with Arcam Integrated
- ProAc Response 1SC with Cyrus Pre-Power
- Wharfedale 9.1 with low end yamaha inegrated
For listening to Usher and ProAc I had visited Bengaluru last week.

I like vocal, Jazz songs (specially female voice), soft rock, fusion and also indian classical and carried ny own CDs.

Out of the above list of speakers I liked BE 718, Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC.

BE-718 is award winning good speaker and Leben drove it efffortlessly with beautiful resolution.

EPS 12.2i is good VFM speaker with very good bass compared to its size.

But the small size of ProAc and its detailed and open sound made special impact and edge over the other two. The look of ProAc without grill is really seductive (specially shinning Copper woofer when vibrating in tune with music lower range) and a thing to watch releasing marvelously detailed and open sound. Specially the female voices were very enjoyable in ProAc. The amps used was Cyrus pre-power SS combo.

Although I could not listen to BE-718 and ProAc 1SC side by side but my vote goes marginally towards ProAc for more detailing and openness and its compact size compared to BE 718.
But ProAc is high priced and requires good hi-priced matching equipments also. Another challenge with ProAc will be its stand, which is recommended to be really heavy.

I have a plan to pair with Lyrita tube amp, which may not be a bad combination with the detailed ProAc. Please send your valuable comments on the above combination. I am yet to listen ProAc with Viren's tube amp.

Thanks to Sumant (Heliumflight) for recommending ProAc.

Also my sincere thanks to Sridhar and Prithvi for giving me their valuable time and very good hospitality. Sridhar was very cooperative and took pain to come down and give detailed direction to my driver for our next destination.

Thank you Sridhar, thank you Prithvi and thank you Bengaluru and all its beautiful people.

Sorry folks for the spelling mistake in the title of the thread. Kindly read it as 'Search for Bedroom bookshelf speakers'.

Out of the above list of speakers I liked BE 718, Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC.

I've heard the Be-718 quite a lot and really like them. I've always felt they were great musical speakers in their budget. I've never heard the other two so cannot say, but you've certainly aroused my interest in the other two.

BTW how much do the Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC cost especially in comparison to the Ushers?

Amit, you have listed to all the shortlisted ones and clearly you loved the sound of the ProAc. This is all that matters. Go with the ProAc. I have owned the studios and have listened to 1SC many times. The 1SC is a gem on its own!

29153008562.JPG

Cheers.

You'd want to decide what you priorities are. I've heard the 1SC and the Be-718 and own the latter. The 1SC is a beautiful speaker in its own right. I think it does mid range better than the Usher but the Usher does better at the extreme ends of the spectrum. The Usher also needs more space to breathe since its bigger. It might end up booming in a super small room.

I'd say first decide a budget, then decide what you wish your equipment chain to be and then finalize on the speaker. Also the room itself is very important. Both of these speakers would do best if you give them a dedicated listening room. When I moved in recently into a bigger house, I made sure, one of the bedrooms is used purely for the audio setup. The difference in audio quality now and before when my setup was in my drawing room is substantial.

You'd be happy with either speaker. There are no compromises to be had with them. Just take what your heart feels like.

Last edited:
Hi Amit,
U are looking at a good BS around a lac, to pair with a Lyrita?
Usher seems good on all counts though i cant elaborate as i have not heard them.
1SC is a very good speaker so its a good option and so are some spendors and even a Dyna Focus 140 should be heard.
I dont know how anything will pair with Virens amp(not heard it) but all these are competent Bookshelves.
Why should heavy stands be a problem? Any fabricator will make good SS or MS stands for sensible money if guided and supervised. If u just cant manage i have a guy in bbay who will make them to your satisfaction for under 5K.
Rgds

Sorry folks for the spelling mistake in the title of the thread. Kindly read it as 'Search for Bedroom bookshelf speakers'.

Hi amitnoida,

if gobble had noticed that, he probably would have asked you "speakers for your beedi-room?":lol:

I've heard the Be-718 quite a lot and really like them. I've always felt they were great musical speakers in their budget. I've never heard the other two so cannot say, but you've certainly aroused my interest in the other two.

BTW how much do the Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC cost especially in comparison to the Ushers?

The price of Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC are quoted 43K and 127K respectively.

that's a pretty huge range! 43k vs 127k! If it is that kind of difference in money, and if I like the epos, I would have gone ahead with Epos right away, and then graduated to ProAc in maybe an year's time. In the end you would spend more money than 127k, but then you would end up being wiser. Enjoy the upgrade journey.
So what is the order of your liking? Epos more than the ushers?
BTW, if you are using such huge stands to mount the BS, why not go for FS?

regards

The price of Epos 12.2i and ProAc 1SC are quoted 43K and 127K respectively.

that's a pretty huge range! 43k vs 127k! If it is that kind of difference in money, and if I like the epos, I would have gone ahead with Epos right away, and then graduated to ProAc in maybe an year's time. In the end you would spend more money than 127k, but then you would end up being wiser. Enjoy the upgrade journey.
So what is the order of your liking? Epos more than the ushers?
BTW, if you are using such huge stands to mount the BS, why not go for FS?

regards

Anm, I am not updation frenzy guy. I prefer to wait, take time and decide for which I can happily live with 5-6 years or more.
To be honest, I liked ProAc than Epos for its beautiful midrange and openness. The female voices were treat to ears.

Usher BE-718 was very close to ProAc and was better than Epos.

Floorstanders are not suitable because my bed will block its sound, you know.

Between BE-718 and Mini Dancer, the later has tighter bass and looks very beautiful with parabolic curves in the back. This marvelous speaker is registered in my mind for my drawing room FS + SS Amp combo in future (of course at least 1-2 years later).

actually my point was the same - get one good pair, and wait/ decide for the very best. At least you would have a good system as a reference - a system with which you have spent some time. But your approach is fine too.

In some thread the bed blocking thing was discussed - I think I have written this before, but just in case I missed it - if it is a single driver, and the driver is above the bed decently, then you are ok. I am talking about the lyrita FS. I hope it is not taken as a push towards a system I like, it is just an opinion. Make your own choice.

Hey Amit, I now have a NAD 542 - maybe we can compare PC vs CDP some time.

regards

Anm, I am not updation frenzy guy. I prefer to wait, take time and decide for which I can happily live with 5-6 years or more.
To be honest, I liked ProAc than Epos for its beautiful midrange and openness. The female voices were treat to ears.

Usher BE-718 was very close to ProAc and was better than Epos.

Floorstanders are not suitable because my bed will block its sound, you know.

Between BE-718 and Mini Dancer, the later has tighter bass and looks very beautiful with parabolic curves in the back. This marvelous speaker is registered in my mind for my drawing room FS + SS Amp combo in future (of course at least 1-2 years later).

Dear Anm,

Your suggestion is by no means a bad one. But I want to purchase my system with as much as study and after weighing pros and cons and use it for at least 4-5 years. I want to enjoy my music without much of time and effort towards upgradation / reading reviews.

Yes the ProAc pushes my budget up and pushes it by a big margin. But you know, we the music lovers (or for this purpose, any hobbyist) always knowingly or unknowingly cross the budget. The budget became more an issue to me for booking my second flat at UniHomes Noida. But I am preparing myself for taking the plunge.

Viren's FS does not have problem of blocking the sound due to my bed but my switch boards on the wall will be covered by the tall speakers. That's why I am going for BS speakers.

Congrats for your NAD 542 CDP. Enjoy music. Is there any particular reason for selecting NAD over Marantz? What is the price?

Cheers

I got it used. Will post the details and my experience of buying used from a remote dealer later. In short, it is turning out to be a good experience. Let's keep the fingers crossed as it got pressed into duty tonight!

I hope your speaker stands don't do the same to the switchboards.

Unihomes - are they any good? My wife is after my life to book something there. Where is the location etc? Is it close to those amrapali and gaur etc coming up for last 2-3 years? If that is it, the area is quite an uninhabited one!

regards

Dear Anm,

Your suggestion is by no means a bad one. But I want to purchase my system with as much as study and after weighing pros and cons and use it for at least 4-5 years. I want to enjoy my music without much of time and effort towards upgradation / reading reviews.

Yes the ProAc pushes my budget up and pushes it by a big margin. But you know, we the music lovers (or for this purpose, any hobbyist) always knowingly or unknowingly cross the budget. The budget became more an issue to me for booking my second flat at UniHomes Noida. But I am preparing myself for taking the plunge.

Viren's FS does not have problem of blocking the sound due to my bed but my switch boards on the wall will be covered by the tall speakers. That's why I am going for BS speakers.

Congrats for your NAD 542 CDP. Enjoy music. Is there any particular reason for selecting NAD over Marantz? What is the price?

Cheers

I got it used. Will post the details and my experience of buying used from a remote dealer later. In short, it is turning out to be a good experience. Let's keep the fingers crossed as it got pressed into duty tonight!

I hope your speaker stands don't do the same to the switchboards.

Unihomes - are they any good? My wife is after my life to book something there. Where is the location etc? Is it close to those amrapali and gaur etc coming up for last 2-3 years? If that is it, the area is quite an uninhabited one!

regards

No, I will make the stand either 24" or 30" max. Even after adding the ProAc 1SC height of 12", the total height will be 36-42" and it will not obstruct the switch boards.

UniHomes will construct the project in Sector 117, it is a budget home - compact and comparatively small. Yes, you are right, at present the area is uninhabited. But lot of projects (Amrapali, Gaur etc.) are coming up there and these projects are in comparatively advanced stage. This area is near (within half a km) to FNG (Faridabad-Noida-Gaziabad) corridor. Within next 2-3 years time the area is likely to be habitated. The area, where we are living now (Sector-62) was completely uninhabitated just 8-9 years ago. There was no road. At least in Sector 117 the roads are already made and they are pretty wide. You may think and visit the area along with your wife. The plot is now a wheatfield. But there is provision of penalty if they fail to handover the flat within 24 months. We don't need it for our immediate stay, because we have already one in Sector-62 and we are very much comfortable here. It is mainly for investment purpose and as a future plan when my elder son will require more and separate space, may be 7-8 years later (He is now 19 yrs).

Cheers

aah - you are right - in 2002, one of my batchmates came from the US to invest in a house. He wanted to buy in greater noida due to hype but I asked him to invest in Noida. We located the Parsavnath Gardenia, and he purchased a flat I think for 14 lakh. I too wanted to buy one, but I was working in India all the time - so didn't have any money for the down payment. I guess those houses would be around 40-45 lakhs today. Missed that opportunity to invest. At that time those sectors were quite uninhabited. But currently, I am torn between buying ready to move in vs possession in 3 years.

I was visualizing your switchboards to be close to the floor - strange how we form mental pictures :)

I use Sennheiser HD515. Recently, its foam ear pad has undergone natural decay. I need the pad to be replaced. Do anybody know any Sennheiser repair / service centre in NCR?

I think its in Gurgaon. Do a search for multilink on npithub.com and call them. They sell senns in nehru place and mentioned to me that whereever you buy, service is done centrally in gurgaon.

regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back