Search for first Hifi-started with Floorstanders 2012

Guess I m narrowing down on BR6 + marantz pm 7004.

Pre purchase blues -
Is BR6 at 50k a good buy?
would a 70 w 8ohm amp match 150w/6ohm speaker?

Need help..

Pre purchase blues -

Need help..

blasto arranged some offer at 40%.. so BR6 came to 41k I guess. you can contact palani@audioplanet for this. he has MA - BR6, you can have demo with your amp (you should get appointment before),

Believe the 41K is for black color ones, which would be an aesthetic mismatch to our room...hence looking for some other colors

BR6 are almost done...would be finalizing next week I guess (unless another sound comes in the way!!:D..though don't even feel inspired to hear others again)

Amp is still a confusion...
Cambridge 651A....cheaper at 35k , recommended by dealer , tested with Speakers and sounded good, has build in DAC so laptop should work fine. Not sure if would be a good option for future upgrades.

Marantz PM7004..at 40k, recommended strongly by friends, not tested with speakers, but seems like a future proof option for later grades, would need a DAC.

So confusion continues...anyone having a experience in hearing these.? Your comments would help greatly!

Will you get confused if I told you Yamaha AS500 85W x2 or 700 can also be a good option for driving MA BR6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will you get confused if I told you Yamaha AS500 85W x2 or 700 can also be a good option for driving MA BR6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes utkarsh...:D. For a first timer like me it been a long journey already!

The choice is narrowed between something good that I have heard (650A) and something good I have heard about (PM7004). I m sure there are better things but it is very unlikely that I would be able to hear BR6 with Yamaha.

Looking for your experience on the technicals and auditory view on these two.

I have suggested you Yamaha based on the reviews i read on some of the forums. Even I have been searching for FS and amp but only on net (reading reviews) as there is no place to audition :). In future if you buy AVR then PM7004 has HT bypass feature which can be useful.

Will you get confused if I told you Yamaha AS500 85W x2 or 700 can also be a good option for driving MA BR6]

FS without audition is too risky to my understanding ! For eg in my case Tannoy V4 was 5 star and KEF Q500 highly recommended and yes they are good and on top of my list, but BR6 is what gave the perfect balance to my ears. There are others who swear by Mordunt and Paradigm, but found them to be subdued.

Each to his own ear I guess! Wish you luck in the FS hunt...hope my journey expressed in this thread gives some help..:)

Meanwhile looking for ideas on 650A and PM7004!:)

BR6 are almost done...would be finalizing next week I guess (unless another sound comes in the way!!:D..though don't even feel inspired to hear others again)

Looks like you have almost finalized on Monitor Audio BR6. But never mind, if you have/haven't heard of Sonodyne from India, i think you must give a try. Especially their Sonus 2605 FS (25K). I am not sure how it would match up to the Monitor Audio BR6, but i am sure they will hold their own. Do try them out & give your opinion.

Pre purchase blues -

Need help..

I was on the same assumption just like what you had now. Will a 70w amp drive 150w speaker ?....

The answer is depends on the sensitivity of the speaker. Monitor Audio BR6 has 90db sensitivity.. So >=90+db is pretty easy for an 70W amplifier to drive..

I learnt it in this forum after many readings.......

So it's done. Got the BR6 is home today, yet to be unpacked. Amp is Cambridge audio 651A.
Played both marantz7004 and 651 alongside. I was intact very skeptical if a newbie like me would be able to make out any difference. But the difference of the amp was quite obvious. 7004 seemed to be cluttered to my ears as if trying to drive the speakers while the 651 was driving the music effortlessly. Another reason for selecting the amp was connecting the laptop through a USB was possible in 651. It also seemed to make some difference v/s a normal cable I used with marantz.
Lesson learned....reviews are fine to start..let your ears decide for you!

So long journey comes to an end on tuesday when the amp is delivered. Learned the finer things about sound during this journey, overshoot my budget by 20 k and still feel good about it!

Would post my experience and photos once the setting is done, may be in a new thread. Thanks to all of their help I got from all the members here.

All those who enjoyed this journey with me here, now or in future, pls do not forget to thank the people whose views help you get clarity in the forum. It's the least you can do for those sharing their knowledge without motives !

Thanks And God bless all who helped here!

Last edited:
How does it matter if Monitor Audio BR is OLD series or NEW?

Its not a software where new version may mean more fixes and old version = more vulnerable.

What sounds best to you, you should buy that.
If Tannoy it is, then Tannoy it should be ...

Anyway they have rave reviews in favor of them.

Tannoy, Quad, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Morduant Short are supposed to have the "British sound" - which means all frequencies are reproduces equally loud. And there is a slight roll-off (less volume) in the extreme ends. - this makes the midrange stand out.
But you won't sound as lively as the american sound.

On the other hand - the "American sound" = boosting the bass and treble ends - so that the music sounds lively at lower volumes, but it may sound fatiguing at louder levels.

I find this quite confusing, if all frequencies are reproduced equally loud, then how would there be a roll off at extreme ends of frequency range?

But I do agree with you when I say unlike computer hardware or electronics, speakers dont necessarily get better because they are a newer version.

Edit: Congrats A major on your new audio set up!
The Dac functionality of CA 651 sure is a bonus!

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back