Search for first Hifi-started with Floorstanders 2012

htstore in somewhere in Jayanagar. Look up The Home Theater Store. For PSBs, go to FinalTouch on Mission Road. They are the distributors for PSB (also stock Paradigm). While they did not have T5, they did have T6. I ended up auditioning T5 in Delhi.

After considerations of sound and budget, my short list is looking like this (would put the final ranking post the final round of auditions, this time with approving authority ie wife :D )

Strong contenders:
Tannoy mercury v4
Kef Q500
Monitor audio BR6

Yet to try:
Boston acoustics A360- rave reviews at hifi and other forums..looks good at 40k.. Any ideas on who to audition these in Bangalore?
Psb....any model that would fit in sub 45k ??

Relook: purely to avoid post purchase desonance
Elac FS 58.2
Heco vista 501

Also getting into Amps now- marantz pm6004 and 7004 are recommended by many...your help needed...

Last edited:
A-Major from your list - Tanoy is the pick for sure - very good value for money without a doubt

PSB's Alpha series (T1) may fit in your budget but I would not recommend anything below the Image series.

Of the 3, I personally found BR6 to be the best of the lot. However, it is a "loud" speaker so ensure you have the space to justify those. Note that the adjective "loud" does not have negative tilt, they just played louder for the same reference levels than other speakers I auditioned.

Then it was Q500 and then the Tannoy. However, I will admit that while I heard the Tannoy's early in my audition cycle, I never got a chance to listen to those again.

Did you audition Jamo's concert series? If not, please do add those to your list. C405 retails below 50k.

Would be starting the reauditions today from the short list .would also try c405 over the week..hope cinebels have it.

The things I m trying to evaluate in my reaud for these are

Tannoy- seemed fairly balanced the first time. But after hearing a range of speakers, how the they relatively sound..would be going to Ht store.

Q500- some say they are bright. I found them to be handling the highs and mids excellently...worried on the lows...bass seems a bit of a concern since rock is 30% of my listening.

Br6- had a decent aud initially and found them to my taste...mids are little lagging, but then that was comparative and therefore would hear them standalone. Also worried that these would be delivered by the chennai distributor so not sure of the local support in case the piece has issues...

Another evaluation i have in mind is- Which of these would have a better liquidity when I try to upgrade ..say in 2 years..should I bother about it at all....?

Would marantz 6004 and 7004 go with these? My thoughts are that 7004 would stay with me even when I updgrade the speakers to next level and is fairly balanced to handle a variety of speakers..pls advise..

@ pishly- 32 k for a pair but haven't really negotiated since wasnt sure at point in time. Do let me know if there is anything better for v4 . Haven't tried magnat speakers till now..

I think I had heard Magnat speakers at Audio Planet. Palani played it for me and then asked me guess the price. I guessed it within +/-10% :) They played pretty decently and I think sounded similar to the bronze series.

@A-Major, I wouldn't be very worked up over others opinion of speakers being too bright etc. I discovered my propensity for slight brighter sound during my hunt. Hence I found Wharfedale's lack of mids not very appealing.

Q500s are pretty decent. Not sure if you ever got a change to hear Energy's CF-50 with Onkyo pairing. They are in Barton center (1st floor). I found the Energy+Onkyo pairing better than KEF+Denon.

Cinebels' miller road showroom stocks Jamo.

And yes, if you are already planning on what/when you will upgrade, then you will miss out on the experiences of your current acquisition :) KEF/Monitor Audio/Tannoys ... all are great brands in their own respect. It depends what one is looking for. So you may/may not get a willing seconds buyer.

Auditioned Q500 today with a variety of music for almost an hour with Denon510 AE...believe the amp isn't that great but the speakers sounded good anyways. Bass was a not so perfect but I m mentally ready that none would be perfect. The dealer said something about the speakers not been run in and a better amp would do wonders, but I rather believe what I hear..isn't it! Was suggested denon 710 AE..but more on the amps later. But let me say the mids and high of Kef are best in the lot and therefore these are very strong contenders still. Comparing these with another speaker with excellent high and mid performance i.e paradigms monitor 7, found kef have a better bass relatively.

Also compared the Focal chorus 716V. Too bright for my taste, though bass was a tad better. But there are better things out there in that range.

@milestone- as I said earlier, did a mistake of hearing jamo d590 and therefore came realize the sonic value add the higher end brings. So I know (sooner than I realized!!) that upgraditis would come! Though i m a relative newbie in this, But guess with so much of physical and mental verification, whichever speaker comes home would be highly appealing to my ears for sure.... I did enjoy kef today as I do my current car, though I know merc and jamo are better :) and as with driving pleasure, resale is a factor to pacify mind, but guess heart rules in the matters of love, including cars and Audio, ultimately!

Major - Think of buying Heco victa from amazon.de, Nothing will match the performance for the price. I tried out all the floorstanders and more mentioned in the thread before settling on Heco. Very happy with the performance. You wont regret if you buy.

It is debatable if Mercs are better than BMWs but then that is another universe :D

The Q500s definitely surprise you with the amount of LFE they demonstrate for their size. My spouse was very much taken in by these speakers till we heard Monitor 9.

I am not asking you to demo the 90k pieces of Jamo. Concert series is much more affordable so recommending C405s.

Santee,

Is there a place in Bangalore where we can listen to Heco Victa?

Auditioned Q500 today with a variety of music for almost an hour with Denon510 AE...believe the amp isn't that great but the speakers sounded good anyways. Bass was a not so perfect but I m mentally ready that none would be perfect. The dealer said something about the speakers not been run in and a better amp would do wonders, but I rather believe what I hear..isn't it! Was suggested denon 710 AE..but more on the amps later. But let me say the mids and high of Kef are best in the lot and therefore these are very strong contenders still. Comparing these with another speaker with excellent high and mid performance i.e paradigms monitor 7, found kef have a better bass relatively.

Also compared the Focal chorus 716V. Too bright for my taste, though bass was a tad better. But there are better things out there in that range.

@milestone- as I said earlier, did a mistake of hearing jamo d590 and therefore came realize the sonic value add the higher end brings. So I know (sooner than I realized!!) that upgraditis would come! Though i m a relative newbie in this, But guess with so much of physical and mental verification, whichever speaker comes home would be highly appealing to my ears for sure.... I did enjoy kef today as I do my current car, though I know merc and jamo are better :) and as with driving pleasure, resale is a factor to pacify mind, but guess heart rules in the matters of love, including cars and Audio, ultimately!

The KEF Q range has scored heavily on the whatshifi award for 2011.. can u help me a bit in finding someone who does KEF in delhi ? ive heard a lot of praise for it.

It is debatable if Mercs are better than BMWs but then that is another universe :

Exactly....I m possibly looking at Marutis and Fords:D to start with

Santee,

Is there a place in Bangalore where we can listen to Heco Victa?

Contact Abhiskek 9916728013 for Heco@koramangla

@pishly-will surely try the price wid him once I m sure. If you have already got your tannoys, pls share your experience

@santee-I too loved Heco ..amazing clarity and good controlled bass..found the high a bit restricted though..but would reaudition anyways.Keeping my mind and ears open :)

@rishabh- try Profx Delhi regional office 9810100942/011 30865013..guess they would be able to advise.

You have many experts guiding you here.

Just one point which I have learned the hard way many years back. While auditioning speakers, and weighing the various minor factors like crispness, brightness, bass response, sound stage etc - one tends to ignore the biggest contributors. They are the room and associated equipment!

When you go around listening to various speakers at different dealers, you are actually listening to their room and associated gear. If you listen to the same speaker in your room with your gear, your conclusions will vary quite a bit.

If possible, shortlist a few speakers and ask them to give you a home demo and then decide.

After a short haitus, started the last leg again. Auditioned Tannoy V4 and Monitor Audio br6 and paradigm monitor 7

Tannoy v4- good , open soundstage, but found them tad bright this time. Played with marantz pm7004 (same as first audition). There was no constraints otherwise and it played the highs, the mids and lows nicely. But both me and my better half considered the sound to be bit bright for extended listening.

Paradigm monitor 7-contrast to the tannoys...very subdued...bass was missing, though pleasant overall.But seemed taking away a lot from music to make it more palatable .VVocals seem to be behind the instruments...could be good for easy listening/easy on ears but to my opinion these are not as versatile as others.

MA BR6 - Perfect fit to my ears...not too bright..not too loud..great bass. Highs and mids are clear. Clear winner of the contest till date. Played with Cambridge651

So after the reauditons, the front runners are

1. MA BR6
2. Kef Q500

Now on amps, Need your advise...

Would marantz pm 6004 & 7004 go with BR6? Which is the best option apart from Cambridge audio for them?
Can marantz M cr603 cd receiver be an option instead of an integrated amp to drive either of the above?

(I wish to keep the cost of everything apart from speakers around35k so anything with build in DAC, CD player, Aux, USB is welcome since source would be iPad, laptop,- flac, mp3 and cds)
(Pending for audition Heco, Jamo, PSB)

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you let me know where you have been auditioning MA. I thought ARN stopped some time back.

I am trying to get speakers for my home theatre.

Nevertheless you should give EPOS ELAN another try with Creek Destiny and Evloution CD player.

Thanks
Venkat

After a short haitus, started the last leg again. Auditioned Tannoy V4 and Monitor Audio br6 and paradigm monitor 7

Tannoy v4- good , open soundstage, but found them tad bright this time. Played with marantz pm7004 (same as first audition). There was no constraints otherwise and it played the highs, the mids and lows nicely. But both me and my better half considered the sound to be bit bright for extended listening.

Paradigm monitor 7-contrast to the tannoys...very subdued...bass was missing, though pleasant overall.But seemed taking away a lot from music to make it more palatable .VVocals seem to be behind the instruments...could be good for easy listening/easy on ears but to my opinion these are not as versatile as others.

MA BR6 - Perfect fit to my ears...not too bright..not too loud..great bass. Highs and mids are clear. Clear winner of the contest till date. Played with Cambridge651

So after the reauditons, the front runners are

1. MA BR6
2. Kef Q500

Now on amps, Need your advise...

Would marantz pm 6004 & 7004 go with BR6? Which is the best option apart from Cambridge audio for them?
Can marantz M cr603 cd receiver be an option instead of an integrated amp to drive either of the above?

(I wish to keep the cost of everything apart from speakers around35k so anything with build in DAC, CD player, Aux, USB is welcome since source would be iPad, laptop,- flac, mp3 and cds)
(Pending for audition Heco, Jamo, PSB)

Dude, just my 2 cents,

I also auditioned most of the branded speaker available in Bangalore for a price range of 50k - 1.5L. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a set up (amp + speaker) that is sounding good for the genre of music I listen to from old & new indian (hindi & malayalam) to rock to pop to dance/house music. Now I am going to try out the Indian brands like Acoustic Portrait and Lyrita. Will be auditioning them in the coming weeks. I have a feeling that if you get the complete stack from one of the manufacturers, you will get a good synergy. I am also planning to put a tube component in the path. Either a tube pre amp or a tube integrated amp.

-John.
-John.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back