Seeking advice on speakers

chuchu

Dear All
I auditioned Marantz PM 7001 and Marantx CD 5001 first with Jamo Studio S 606 and then with Mordaunt-Short Avant 908. The Music i listened to (the same bit of stringed instrumental music) sounded more or less the same on both thel speakers, though in case of voal I found the Jamo a little more closer to the natural voice. But technical descrilption shows (I do not understand much of it anyway!) MS in a better light (or sound, for that matter !). I am really in a dilemma. My choice is mainlly classical or semin classical Indian music. Occassionally i do listen to western but nor any heavy stuff. Which one would an expert say as the best between the two? Also, does any one give me an idea about pricing? There are too many variations between what is quoted by the Indian dealers and what is on the net. What could be a reasonable price, any suggestion?

chuchu

Try the Quad L Series. You can start with the famous 11L model.

In case, you are on a budget and still want floorstands, try Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 or MA BR5 also.

All the best.

Last edited:
I second the suggestion of the Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floorstander - it seems the best safe choice. I don't know how large your space is but while the Quad 11L is a fabulous speaker it may have difficulty filling a very large space; but for a small space it will be your best bet for Classical. Also, see if you can get the Marantz CD-6002 instead of 5001.

You can try Quad 12 L2 if you find 11L small for your room.. but you cant go wrong with the Quads...

Hi,

I would recommend the Quad L or L2 series from my personal experience. My interests also mainly includes classical/semi-classical music.

I have ordered for an 11L2. But due to some shipping problems, the dealer gave me a set of demo 11L till 11L2 are shipped. So I have been using well run-in 11Ls for about a month. I am running the speakers with CA 540R V3 (an AV receiver not a stereo receiver). I must say I am amazed by how good it sounds.

So if your interest is classical/semi-classical, the Quad L/L2 series speaker of your budget and size is a must-audition. (Note: I wont say must-buy, let your own ears decide that). I feel that they are amazing value for money speakers as of now. 11L's were available at 21,000 and 11L2's at 26,000 when I bought them.

Regards,
Prasad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would recommend the Quad L or L2 series from my personal experience. My interests also mainly includes classical/semi-classical music.

I have ordered for an 11L2. But due to some shipping problems, the dealer gave me a set of demo 11L till 11L2 are shipped. So I have been using well run-in 11Ls for about a month. I am running the speakers with CA 540R V3 (an AV receiver not a stereo receiver). I must say I am amazed by how good it sounds.

So if your interest is classical/semi-classical, the Quad L/L2 series speaker of your budget and size is a must-audition. (Note: I wont say must-buy, let your own ears decide that). I feel that they are amazing value for money speakers as of now. 11L's were available at 21,000 and 11L2's at 26,000 when I bought them.

Regards,
Prasad.

Thanks Prasad for the suggestion. I would like an audition of the Quad L series. Can you let me know where I can find them in Bangalore?
Regards

Thanks Prasad for the suggestion. I would like an audition of the Quad L series. Can you let me know where I can find them in Bangalore?
Regards

Hi,

"Designer Audio" are the official distributors for Quad. You can find your closest dealer from the following website: Designer Audio - Dealers

Happy auditioning! And do inform what you finally bought.

Regards,
Prasad.

Hi

I have bought a onkyo TX-SR875 , i am residing in New Zealand . Can any one suggest me the specs for the speakers , which brand suits the best and price i would be looking at .

Decibels, Gem Plaza, Infantry Road.
Anand: 9886722937

Hi,

Sorry, I did not see the "Bangalore" part of the dealer question.

I had bought the speakers from Decibels. Surprisingly, they no longer seems to be listed as dealers in the Designer Audio website. In fact, there seems to be no dealer for Quad in Bangalore according to the website.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Hi

I have bought a onkyo TX-SR875 , i am residing in New Zealand . Can any one suggest me the specs for the speakers , which brand suits the best and price i would be looking at .i was told the tx sr875 is a high end amp and would require very gd speakers .

I know that Decibels sell Quad, Mirage, Wharfedale, Yamaha. Till recently I had listened to a pair of Mirage there. Had seen couple of Quad displayed also.

I'm not sure about the dealership details though.

I have bought a onkyo TX-SR875 , i am residing in New Zealand . Can any one suggest me the specs for the speakers , which brand suits the best and price i would be looking at .i was told the tx sr875 is a high end amp and would require very gd speakers .

Whatz ur budget Sanjay?

a) Moudaunt Short Avant
b) Wharfedale Diamond 9
c) Tannoy F1 Mercury custom
d) Monitor Audio Bronze
e) Dali Ikon 6

Best regards.

well in between 50 to 75 , i am from A.P so i need to buy it from HYD any gd dealers or i can buy it in New Zealand and how about B&W speakers are they good company and polk . I have seen polk in chennai and suprisingly he coated 8 lakhs . which i thought was waste , i have seen polk for $2900 in NZ and what abt Bose would they be good for this onkyo tx st875 , if yes which model do i need to go for bose plz reply back . Thanks for ur time.

Hi Sanjay,
I would not term ur onkyo receiver as a high end product. Am sure it will be fine for the surround experience though i am not too sure how it will perform for music.
As for speakers to go do u want stand mounters or floor standers? Ya B&W do make some good speakers but are over priced in india. Having said that i do like the 700 series(704 in particular) and they do impress in an Av set up too though they are really good for music. The Monitor audio silver series is good too(RS 6) in particular. It depends on ur budget as speaker packages can go sky high in prices and performance.I am not a polk audio fan and 8 L seems ridiculous. Could get a B&W 800 series package for about that and i would say thats in a different league. As for Bose (i guess u mean the acoustimass series) am sure u can do better. For movies they may suffice but are terrible reproducing music. They are far cheaper than any of the packages above though.
Since u are in NZ u will get to audition the above and many more to help make a suitable choice.
Regards.

I know that Decibels sell Quad, Mirage, Wharfedale, Yamaha. Till recently I had listened to a pair of Mirage there. Had seen couple of Quad displayed also.

I'm not sure about the dealership details though.

Checked with Decibels. They confirmed that they are still the dealers and the Designer Audio site probably missed listing them.

As for the Quad, the 11L demo pieces are currently with me. Decibels provided them as replacements until my 11L2 arrives.

Regards,
Prasad.

Hi Sanjay,
I would not term ur onkyo receiver as a high end product. Am sure it will be fine for the surround experience though i am not too sure how it will perform for music.

Dinyaar, I must say I am amused by your quote. The 875 is literally a technical tank in both audio and video terms. It is the second most expensive AVR in the Onkyo 2007-2008 series, just below the 905.

I wont say much, but do read the following articles:

Sound & Vision Magazine - Onkyo TX-SR875 A/V Receiver

Home Cinema Hardware Reviews

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back