Selecting AM/FM Tuner - Which one ??

musicmypassion

I am in search of a AM/FM Tuner under the budget of 3.5K. Initially I wanted to go with Norge Tuner, however when I inquired about it with Mr. Shyam Bajaj, he told me that they don't have it available with him. :eek:

Then I went ahead and checked DNM audio. They have a Tuner with them and the price they quoted was 3K. I have not heard much about this brand hence could not make a decision. I rarely could find any review about it by googling too.

I am offered with Yamaha TX 492 Tuner at a price of 2500, but this is a demo piece. This model was launched way back in 2004 and they have discontinued it now.

Please let me know what will be a good deal, buying new Tuner or going with the demo piece? If a new tuner, please suggest me with some options or if I should go with the demo piece yamaha, is this a good price?

If you are open to used stuff, check in ebay (not india).
There are good offers, though you need to check for shipping + add on charges.

I am offered with Yamaha TX 492 Tuner at a price of 2500, but this is a demo piece. This model was launched way back in 2004 and they have discontinued it now.

Please let me know what will be a good deal, buying new Tuner or going with the demo piece? If a new tuner, please suggest me with some options or if I should go with the demo piece yamaha, is this a good price?

Yamaha is good deal anyway show him cash and try it to pull around 1700-2000!!

Good new or used standalone tuners are difficult to find in India so grab the first opportunity.....

Buy it @ 2.5 as DNM or Norge you'll spend some amount in shipping!
This Yamaha seems to be a good tuner ,and It has got remote sensor! So I feel that any universal remote with Yamaha codes can control it!

Anyway I bought 10-15 year old Kenwood Tuner for 1000-1200 RS !( Around 2 years back) And I was desperatly looking for remote ones which I never got!

Tuners are NOT easily available so If you need grab it!

Buy it @ 2.5 as DNM or Norge you'll spend some amount in shipping!
This Yamaha seems to be a good tuner ,and It has got remote sensor! So I feel that any universal remote with Yamaha codes can control it!

Anyway I bought 10-15 year old Kenwood Tuner for 1000-1200 RS !( Around 2 years back) And I was desperatly looking for remote ones which I never got!

Tuners are NOT easily available so If you need grab it!

Yap, you are correct... The specs for the yamaha seems to be good too...

Howz your Kenwood performing now..? I heard that old models of Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood would be performing better than a new branded one...

It was really hard to find any good brand tuners available in indian market.

Frankly not using much
Decent I can say
Also planning a FM antenna for last 2 Years ... yet to make...:eek:hyeah:

As Hemanth and other have said, it may be difficult to find just a tuner alone. Tuners are part of many systems now such as an AVR. Of course you can find good tuners in 2-in-1 systems such as those made by Samsung, Philips, LG, and others.

Cheers

Chked ebay too - but hasseles to procure it will be far more than 2.5 K
I thing you should grab it asap......

(I have no realation to yamaha or the ceealer !!)

Last edited:
Howz your Kenwood performing now..? I heard that old models of Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood would be performing better than a new branded one...

It was really hard to find any good brand tuners available in indian market.

True!! Old stand-alone tuner models where deleberately made to work.
I am a proud owner of Technics ST-G40L tuner

As Hemanth and other have said, it may be difficult to find just a tuner alone. Tuners are part of many systems now such as an AVR. Of course you can find good tuners in 2-in-1 systems such as those made by Samsung, Philips, LG, and others.

Cheers

yes sir. looking at the scenario, i belive itz better to get the yamaha one...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back