Separate Audio Out and Video Out from a Laptop

afj

hi

im looking to connect the audio from my laptop into a dac (via usb port) and a separate video into my tv. ive got hdmi and usb ports on my laptop. when i plug a hdmi cable into my laptop to the tv, the headphone out for audio stops working. im assuming the audio from a usb out will stop working as well (i dont have my dac yet so cant check - but would like to have clarity on this issue before i purchase the dac)

how do i get a separate video out and audio out. the audio out should be digital into a dac. the video out im not so particular, as long as it plays on my tv

thanks

Hello Afj,

You need to change the Setting in your LAPTOP to bypass the Audio when HDMI is plugged in.
I tried for the getting audio signal to 3.5 Jack when HDMI is plugged in and it worked for me
So there must be some setting\similar setting for USB as well.

hi

im looking to connect the audio from my laptop into a dac (via usb port) and a separate video into my tv. ive got hdmi and usb ports on my laptop. when i plug a hdmi cable into my laptop to the tv, the headphone out for audio stops working. im assuming the audio from a usb out will stop working as well (i dont have my dac yet so cant check - but would like to have clarity on this issue before i purchase the dac)

how do i get a separate video out and audio out. the audio out should be digital into a dac. the video out im not so particular, as long as it plays on my tv

thanks

I think when you connect a USB DAC and specify this USB DAC as your default sound output device under sound settings in Windows (presuming you are using Win OS) then the audio goes over only USB DAC. I have tried this in my Pi whereby I used the ODAC for audio playback and video via HDMI and it worked perfectly without any issues. I do not remember correctly but I think I have tried this with my HTPC which has Win 7 installed and plays audio/video via HDMI but when connected and set default audio device to USB DAC it did not play audio via HDMI but only via DAC.

I pipe video over HDMI from laptop to TV, and audio over USB to amp using a Behringer UCA-222. Works without hassle in Windows and with some driver-tweaking in Linux.
This will work inspite of your h/f jack (on-board sound) being disabled because an outboard DAC presents itself to the OS as an external sound card.

Like has been mentioned, set the default sound device as the USB DAC in Sound Properties panel.
Additionally in sound device in your media player, choose WASAPI to bypass windows mixer.
If your DAC has ASIO drivers, you can also use that instead of WASAPI.

im assuming that there wont be a problem doing the same from a notebook kind of laptop. with intel atom processor. i'll be attaching a external hard drive to it. will be there time lag in accessing files or playing music?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back