Set up a Home Theatre

jray,

I've seen this happen a few times on forums-
1. New member comes with budget and request to help.
2. Forum members all pitch in and in their typically helpful nature, give various options
3. Newcomer overshoots budget by a wide margin and ends up buying something not financially viable for him at the moment.
:D
My advice to you is - Stick to your budget!

If you have a figure in mind (1L?) then do not go overboard, no matter what any of us say. I assume you've come up with that figure after due consideration of what your finances are. All of us here are passionate about musical reproduction and will always try to make you buy something which (in our opinion) will sound excellent. But if that choice exceeds what you can pay, either start piecewise or go for a less costly complete setup. Getting the perfect audio setup is like finding the perfect woman (both don't exist, the latter even more frustratingly so...).

Mridul et all have given you great suggestions but finally see whether your room really requires FS and SW or whether BS and SW will be enough. Add rears later always, setup your 2-channel first (with or without SW) and then choose receiver and CDP/DVP. Once that's done, you can see what the sound is like. The rest (CC,RS) can be added piecewise once you are satisfied with the overall sound. Also remember that any money you save can be used towards buying the music you like...which is better than spending it on expensive, gleaming speakers that have no source material to play, once in your living room.:rolleyes:

-Jinx.

Thats true Jinx....had to come to australia on a short notice....so setting up the system is right now on a backseat....however was checking the prices of some stuffs here....even knowing won't be able to carry them back home....things are obscenely costly here.....

The typical weakest link in a HT is the speakers, so choose wisely. I disagree with only L/R at the beginning since its all vocals come through the cenre channel and by not having one you will create a virtual center which is horrible to listen to. I woudl suggest atleast L/C/R speakerst first and timbre matched - meaning same manufacturer and using same drivers even within same manuf.

Sub and rears can be gotten later.

Add rears later always, setup your 2-channel first (with or without SW) and then choose receiver and CDP/DVP. Once that's done, you can see what the sound is like. The rest (CC,RS) can be added piecewise once you are satisfied with the overall sound.
-Jinx.

If he is sure of going for 5.1 and is not going to change his choice of L/R for a while, then I agree that buying a centre along with L/R makes sense. If not sure of L/R speakers, then always better to hold on while one is deciding whether he likes the sound so far. In the worst case, the current L/R can be used for rear and he can get new L/R/C ... hence the suggestion of setting up the 2 channel sound well first.

Ajinkya

His listening experiences will be distorted by a virtual center espeically when listening to dialogues. This problem will be made more complex if he decides to try satellites or bookshelf speakers. A safe (and not that expensive bet is to get a center along with L/R).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back