Setting a high xover for front towers

corElement

Hi, I've been wonderring,

Since subs are meant to produce LF and also spl for those who desire it..

My speakers go down to 32hz using 2x2 midbass drivers. If my sub does 23hz-160hz... & if I set the crossover from fronts to 150hz, wouldnt the sub get a more dynamic range to apply excursion and produce more spl? If this is true, will it compromise the deeper lower freuquencies incase I dont set the xover from fronts to 40hz?

Would a subs reproduction of 23-160hz range be better than a towers which does 32hz-20khz?

I'm not looking for an exact answer, I realise it heavily depends speaker model to model. Just looking for a textbook perfect world view to the excursion/quality to frequency query.

I see, so what you mean is if I have towers that say 32 but in reality perform their true lows around 40-50, I should set allow the sub to kick in around 50-60 so it has some play area to roll over with?

I see, so what you mean is if I have towers that say 32 but in reality perform their true lows around 40-50, I should set allow the sub to kick in around 50-60 so it has some play area to roll over with?

you'd need to factor in the frequency response of the surrounds as well, unless your receivers allows you to set channel wise crossover points.

a typical "rule of thumb" is to set it just above the f3 point which is the point where response tapers off and is 3db below the average spl for the rest of the range.

for example if your speaker is rated 32hz -whatever khz +/-3db, you could conceivably set it as low as 40hz. if there is no +/-3db envelope is in the specs or if there is a -10 db rating (or none at all - like yamaha, which uses a -16db rating) then you should go an octave higher -- ie. for 32hz - you should look at a 60hz crossover.

the higher you set the crossover the more headroom you'll give your reciever.. as more of the bass signal will go the sub, and consequently less headroom for the sub.

this may not apply to you as you have bass-monster fronts, but my experience with bookshelves setting the crossover about 1/2 octave above f3 (i.e 90hz for a speaker that had an f3 of about 60hz) really cleaned up the sound as compared to crossing over at/ just above f3.

of course your mileage may vary

cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back