Setting up my first Home Theater (Technically second one though)

pkv

Hello All,

I have been a silent reader of the experiences of so many of you and have been an admirer for the depth of information given. I thought rather than only reading why not interact with you some of you and learn/share more.. I am from Bangalore and I bought first HT in 2005 from US (5.1 Wireless HTS of Phillips) and it worked perfectly till now with my PS3, just sold it as i am moving to a new place and thought of going for the new system.

I am looking for 5.1/5.2 system for next 10-15 years again :) ..Not looking for Atmos as my ceiling is of double height and being my own house, i won't be shifting so woun't need ATMOS. Setup is 100 inch Projector screen and usage will be 90% movies (Prime/Netflix/Youtube) and 10% music. So i was looking for a setup where i can see 4K/HLG/Dolby vision content on large screen with great Audio. I was thinking to use Firestick for the OTT Platform. I definitely want to enjoy TrueHD/DTS Master level of Audio. My living area size is around 15*15 and the first 7 feet near to screen ceiling is of lower height and the next 7 feet is of the height of 20 feet. Watching distance is approx 12-14 feet..
Currently, i was using PS3 and streaming movies via laptop to PS3 and DD/DTS was working perfectly. I had bought Ps3 for watching blu ray movies only.

I zeroed on a couple of option and i need expertise of members here to help me make decison...I have already read most of threads and zeroed on certain options..My budget was intially 30-40K but after reading the messages its expanding...

first one is Sony BDV-9200 (Display Unit) getting for 40K and it is 1200 W with wireless rear speakers and all tower speakers and i was i,pressed with demo at Reliance Digital (I am no Audiophile, iI compared with old Phillips system..). However, with limited information available, it seems that HDMI IN will only pass through DD&DTS and not beyond that however since it has a BD player, for that it can output DTS HD Master Audio. It also saying 4K upscaling so i am not sure if can play 4K or only upscales. Sony Center said that it's a discontinued product so did not had much info on it...

The second was Yamaha 3072 HTIB or 3072 AVR + Taga speaker. this AVR supports eARC so i understand audio reurn channel bandwidth will good to output all sound formats.

Third was Denon 250/550.. These do not support eARC but it has 5.2 setup.. I am not sure if for my room config i need 2 Sub woofers or not ??

I am also opened to pre-owned speakers if i find good one or pre-owned AVRs.. My understanding is that they do not go bad at all so pre-owned also is fine... But i could not find a place from where i can buy it...

On the visual part, I am planning to use 1080p projector. Will i be able to notice any difference while playing 4K/Dolby vision content from 4K stick from Full HD content ??

Above options, pricing comes to 50-60K... And i think if that's the route i need to take, i will take it...I usually look for value for money and won't prefer to shell out more to get the just last 5-10% of additional performance in the system..

Looking forward to the enthralling journey of learning from all of your experiences and making a good decision....

Last edited:
You cannot view 4k/dolby vision content on FHD 1080p projector. Of course you can play 4k content, but you will get 1080p SDR image only. If you want decent 4k HDR (even though it's Faux 4k actually) with Epson TW9400 projector but it will cost 2L approx. And native 4k projector from JVC/Sony will be upwards of 4L.

You cannot view 4k/dolby vision content on FHD 1080p projector. Of course you can play 4k content, but you will get 1080p SDR image only. If you want decent 4k HDR (even though it's Faux 4k actually) with Epson TW9400 projector but it will cost 2L approx. And native 4k projector from JVC/Sony will be upwards of 4L.
Thank you @dr_rocket .. I am planning for full HD projector unless I get a pre-owned 4K projector in a very good deal...

With an audio budget of 40k, it's slim pickings actually. But if you do go the used route, you'll easily find much better deals on a good 5.0 system and an avr.

Dm me if possible, I started with a philips HTIB 10 Years back and now have a full blown home theater after adding/replacing every component on at a time.

Hello All,

I have been a silent reader of the experiences of so many of you and have been an admirer for the depth of information given. I thought rather than only reading why not interact with you some of you and learn/share more.. I am from Bangalore and I bought first HT in 2005 from US (5.1 Wireless HTS of Phillips) and it worked perfectly till now with my PS3, just sold it as i am moving to a new place and thought of going for the new system.

I am looking for 5.1/5.2 system for next 10-15 years again :) ..Not looking for Atmos as my ceiling is of double height and being my own house, i won't be shifting so woun't need ATMOS. Setup is 100 inch Projector screen and usage will be 90% movies (Prime/Netflix/Youtube) and 10% music. So i was looking for a setup where i can see 4K/HLG/Dolby vision content on large screen with great Audio. I was thinking to use Firestick for the OTT Platform. I definitely want to enjoy TrueHD/DTS Master level of Audio. My living area size is around 15*15 and the first 7 feet near to screen ceiling is of lower height and the next 7 feet is of the height of 20 feet. Watching distance is approx 12-14 feet..
Currently, i was using PS3 and streaming movies via laptop to PS3 and DD/DTS was working perfectly. I had bought Ps3 for watching blu ray movies only.

I zeroed on a couple of option and i need expertise of members here to help me make decison...I have already read most of threads and zeroed on certain options..My budget was intially 30-40K but after reading the messages its expanding...

first one is Sony BDV-9200 (Display Unit) getting for 40K and it is 1200 W with wireless rear speakers and all tower speakers and i was i,pressed with demo at Reliance Digital (I am no Audiophile, iI compared with old Phillips system..). However, with limited information available, it seems that HDMI IN will only pass through DD&DTS and not beyond that however since it has a BD player, for that it can output DTS HD Master Audio. It also saying 4K upscaling so i am not sure if can play 4K or only upscales. Sony Center said that it's a discontinued product so did not had much info on it...

The second was Yamaha 3072 HTIB or 3072 AVR + Taga speaker. this AVR supports eARC so i understand audio reurn channel bandwidth will good to output all sound formats.

Third was Denon 250/550.. These do not support eARC but it has 5.2 setup.. I am not sure if for my room config i need 2 Sub woofers or not ??

I am also opened to pre-owned speakers if i find good one or pre-owned AVRs.. My understanding is that they do not go bad at all so pre-owned also is fine... But i could not find a place from where i can buy it...

On the visual part, I am planning to use 1080p projector. Will i be able to notice any difference while playing 4K/Dolby vision content from 4K stick from Full HD content ??

Above options, pricing comes to 50-60K... And i think if that's the route i need to take, i will take it...I usually look for value for money and won't prefer to shell out more to get the just last 5-10% of additional performance in the system..

Looking forward to the enthralling journey of learning from all of your experiences and making a good decision....
I visited Home Theater Studion today and i was surprised to know from him that Dolby True HD/DTS Master Audio can be experienced only in 7.2 AVR setup as well with 7.2 speaker setup and AVRs like Yamaha 3072 even though supp
With an audio budget of 40k, it's slim pickings actually. But if you do go the used route, you'll easily find much better deals on a good 5.0 system and an avr.

Dm me if possible, I started with a philips HTIB 10 Years back and now have a full blown home theater after adding/replacing every component on at a time.
Surely, will DM you. In fact, my journey also started with Phillips LX3750W HTIB 15 years ago :) and i used it till now ..Looking forward to learning from you

I visited Home Theater Studion today and i was surprised to know from him that Dolby True HD/DTS Master Audio can be experienced only in 7.2 AVR setup as well with 7.2 speaker setup and AVRs like Yamaha 3072 even though supp
Wrong. 5.1 AVR can run DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD as well. Of course 7.2 will give more immersive audio.

Wrong. 5.1 AVR can run DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD as well. Of course 7.2 will give more immersive audio.
That's what I was also expecting... And I understand that it's not just popping up on AVR as Dolby True HD but also the sound will be much better than just Dolby Digital....

A quick thing, my ceiling height is 20 feet so can I use 5.1.2 setup with 2 speakers set up on left and right sides of MLP (Almost in line of 180 degree of Main listening Position) at 3 feet height above ears and inclined in a way to down fire it on MLP area to get Atmos effect ?? Also when the source is not having ATMOS, can the same setup be used for 7.1 a well..

Hello All,

Looking forward to the enthralling journey of learning from all of your experiences and making a

After enriching myself with wisdom from lots of you especaiily @dr_rocket and 1-1 conversation with @rsklogin, i realized that i should think of investing in good AVR and then add speakers one by one. While deciding for AVR i am stuck with should i go for ATMOS or 5.1/7.1 due to the configuration of my living room.
I have attached layout/pics of my living room and proposed setup. I need help from all of you in deciding first on setup Atmos or 5.1/7.1 (Which will be sufficient for the room)

Details:
Living room Size: 15*12 * (9/18 ): For first 7 feet it is 9 feet sceiling and then rest of 8 feet it is 18" (Double Ceiling)
My Main Listening Position will fall under double ceiling height and its not possible to have hanging ceiling speakers as that area will have chandelier.
Visual: 120 inch Projector screen driven by 1080p Projector
Budget for Audio: Started with 40K but now ready for 60-80K.
If at all Atmos ceiling speakers can be kept its on side wall of sofa on both side. (Attached pics will provide details)
I am ready to go for the used AVR/speaker route as well.. Also since Big billion days are coming, I hope i can get AVR and speakers at discount...

Please help with your experience if ATMOS would make sense or just 5.1 or 7.1 would be best for my living room size/config. Also what AVR you would recommend for whichever configuration you think is best suited..

Attachments

• HTSetupDrawing3.jpg
    HTSetupDrawing3.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 11
  • HTSetupDrawing.png
    HTSetupDrawing.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 11
I am eagerly waiting for inputs from experts of the forum to set up. Please help me out with your inputs on the following..

1. I am inclined to go towards the 5.1.2 setup but not sure if my layout will support it. I have shared pics of my layput in post above..

2. On the audiovisualkart website i am getting S750h below 48K and X1400h model for 44K.. Is this a reliable website? Anyone has experience in dealing with this website..

2. should I go for S750h for an additional 4K...Looking for a future-proof AVR..

3. I was also finding that a full projector is not able to give crisp/bright images as much as nowadays TVs do... Visual side technology has grown so much in terms of HDR. HDR10+, Dolby vision...In fact, I was also thinking should I go for 65" TV at the moment and drop the plan for Projector after looking at few TVs in the market... 4K projector is definitely out of my budget.. This question has been tearing me and i am just not sure abt it after watching a few 4K contents on TVs.. While 120 inches of the screen will definitely give an immersive experience it will lack the color punch which 65 inch Dolby vision TV can give.....My living area size is 16*12 (L*W). The seating position will be approx 12 feet.. But can be reduced as well...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back