Setting up new TT - Advice required

Bumped into a small hiccup while setting up the RP3. The tracking force knob automatically rotates or winds itself to 3 and doesn't stay on 0 prior to balancing the time arm. Online search suggests that the spring mechanism inside the variable tracking force VTF mechanism maybe loose or something. As of now since the VTF is on 3, I have compensated by moving the counter weight backwards. Not the ideal situation, has anyone faced any similar issue?

My oil rig hands are not really compatible with such delicate and intricate work. Hoping someone could shed some light on this before I dismantle the hell out of the TT. Thanks and stay safe.
What automatically rotates? The tracking force weight at the end of the tonearm? Or the antiskate knob?

If it is the antiskate knob that's problematic, set the counter weight for correct tracking force. It is essential to track within the specified range of your cartridge. You should be able to live with slightly incorrect antiskate till the time your vendor can have it corrected You should be able to play even with no antiskate.

What automatically rotates? The tracking force weight at the end of the tonearm? Or the antiskate knob?

If it is the antiskate knob that's problematic, set the counter weight for correct tracking force. It is essential to track within the specified range of your cartridge. You should be able to live with slightly incorrect antiskate till the time your vendor can have it corrected You should be able to play even with no antiskate.
Hello jls001, thanks for your reply. Cartridge specs mention 1.75 grams to be added with the knob which has a scale of 0 to 3, after adjusting the counter weight to kind of float the tone arm. Since the knob (internal spring or similar mechanism) automatically winds itself to 3, I have pushed the counter weight a bit backwards to compensate for the 1.25 extra ( 3 - 1.75). But this is all just look and feel. No problems spinning vinyls and no problems with the SQ though. Don't think the vendor will be a help and moreover logistics is another problem these days with TN under lockdown. More comfortable handling 10000 psi and 3 inch spanners in the field rather than opening the delicate 8mm bolts of the the TT. :)

Assuming no external technical help, I was wondering if I should get a stylus weight scale to measure since I don't have any other reference. I really don't care if the knob is on 3 or wherever as long as I know that there is 1.75 on the stylus.

Last edited:
Okay, let's quickly go through the balancing routine:
First you put the cartridge, remove stylus protector, install the counterweight.

Second, you move the counterweight back and forth so that the tonearm stays balanced on its pivot. This means the arm is horizontal and does not fall towards the cartridge or the counterweight.

Third: I'm assuming that the counterweight has graduated markings around its perimeter.... 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. If it has such markings then usually the counter weight will have an outer ring and inner ring. If you rotate the outer ring, the number/marking will spin, and the inner ring will not move back/forth. Turn the outer ring so that zero points to 12 O Clock position. Please note that turning the outer ring should not change the balance of tonearm which was set in the previous step because the outer ring is spinning in place. By setting the zero marking to 12 O Clock position, you are setting a reference. It could be 9 or even 3 O Clock.

Fourth: turn inner ring inward so that it goes closer to the cartridge end so that 1.75 is now pointing to 12 O Clock. This sets the tracking force to 1.75 grams.

If you don't have the markings you most definitely need a digital scale.

Also by moving the counter weight back you are reducing the tracking weight, not increasing it. Since you said the cartridge is able to track and play, I'm guessing you didn't do the initial balancing correctly.

Okay, let's quickly go through the balancing routine:
First you put the cartridge, remove stylus protector, install the counterweight.

Second, you move the counterweight back and forth so that the tonearm stays balanced on its pivot. This means the arm is horizontal and does not fall towards the cartridge or the counterweight.

Third: I'm assuming that the counterweight has graduated markings around its perimeter.... 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. If it has such markings then usually the counter weight will have an outer ring and inner ring. If you rotate the outer ring, the number/marking will spin, and the inner ring will not move back/forth. Turn the outer ring so that zero points to 12 O Clock position. Please note that turning the outer ring should not change the balance of tonearm which was set in the previous step because the outer ring is spinning in place. By setting the zero marking to 12 O Clock position, you are setting a reference. It could be 9 or even 3 O Clock.

Fourth: turn inner ring inward so that it goes closer to the cartridge end so that 1.75 is now pointing to 12 O Clock. This sets the tracking force to 1.75 grams.

If you don't have the markings you most definitely need a digital scale.

Also by moving the counter weight back you are reducing the tracking weight, not increasing it. Since you said the cartridge is able to track and play, I'm guessing you didn't do the initial balancing correctly.
1st and 2nd....done ok. The counter weight is just a weight with 2 x O rings on its internal dia which tightly slides back and forth the end of the tone arm. 3rd, the counter weight dies noy have any markings. Rega says to slide the weight in so that the tip of the stylus is about 1mm from the surface of the LP and then rotate the knob to 1.75 grams. Since, this knob doesn't stay put at 0 even to start off with ( always at 3) hence I have shifted the weight a bit back. Of course, I really do not know how much is actually on the stylus and assuming I live with this problem, I was wondering if I should get a scale to measure it.

In other words, I have kind of balanced the tone arm with a reading of 3 on the knob to compensate for the extra 1.25. Atleast that's what I feel I have done by look and feel.

Adding a pic. Note: counter weight is just a slider. Knob stays on 3 or 3 + automatically.

I should keep that on 0, balance the arm and then apply 1.75 on this knob. Can't balance the arm at 0 in the first place as it doesn't stay at 0 and winds upto 3 automatically. Hope to muster up some courage and open the 2 small nuts on either side of the housing. Something might have jumped out of place probably.

Screenshot_20210511-183554.jpg

Of course, I really do not know how much is actually on the stylus and assuming I live with this problem, I was wondering if I should get a scale to measure it.
Please get yourself a digital scale. You're flying blind as far as setting tracking weight is concerned. Everything that I had suggested so far is about getting the right tracking force but it looks difficult for now since you don't have the right tool.

Regarding the antiskate knob, if you think going back to the vendor is tough, I like your line of thought of opening it yourself. Just be careful while opening it so that the spring doesn't jump away and be lost. Also do inform the vendor that you're planning to open it. They might even give you useful advice on how to go about it. May be you should write directly to Rega if the local dealer isn't responsive.

Please get yourself a digital scale. You're flying blind as far as setting tracking weight is concerned. Everything that I had suggested so far is about getting the right tracking force but it looks difficult for now since you don't have the right tool.

Regarding the antiskate knob, if you think going back to the vendor is tough, I like your line of thought of opening it yourself. Just be careful while opening it so that the spring doesn't jump away and be lost. Also do inform the vendor that you're planning to open it. They might even give you useful advice on how to go about it. May be you should write directly to Rega if the local dealer isn't responsive.
Yes, exactly. Iam in the dark without knowing the exact or optimum tracking force without the scale. Going totally by look, feel and hearing.

Since it's not in warranty, I doubt the vendor would really care. Will write to Rega tonight.

Wondering if the surface of the stylus scale has some kind of protection for the naked tip or it's just placed on top? I have this idea of using a small electronic kitchen scale. (Will have to cross check the height ).

Any suggestions for a digital scale is highly appreciated. Thanks. Stay safe.

Yes, exactly. Iam in the dark without knowing the exact or optimum tracking force without the scale. Going totally by look, feel and hearing.

Since it's not in warranty, I doubt the vendor would really care. Will write to Rega tonight.

Wondering if the surface of the stylus scale has some kind of protection for the naked tip or it's just placed on top? I have this idea of using a small electronic kitchen scale. (Will have to cross check the height ).

Any suggestions for a digital scale is highly appreciated. Thanks. Stay safe.
Buy any jewellers scale from amazon..most read with an accuracy of .1gms

You may want to consider an Ikea Butchers block - The Aptitlig.
I have my Planer 3 on one.
I put mine on Aptitlig butcher's block after reading glowing recommendations. It totally killed my table. Denon DP400 with cartridge and phono upgrades.
I guess different Tables behave differently.

+1 to jls001 suggestion on buying a digital scale for setting your tracking force. I ordered one today as my earlier one was damaged after 5 years of service. Also IME anti-skating scales don't do actually correspond to the tracking force one on one and need to be setup after observing and listening to the sound.

+1 to jls001 suggestion on buying a digital scale for setting your tracking force. I ordered one today as my earlier one was damaged after 5 years of service. Also IME anti-skating scales don't do actually correspond to the tracking force one on one and need to be setup after observing and listening to the sound.
+1
Anti skating on my table is inaccurate. I adjust it by listening on a headphone.
There is a gadget called Fogzometer (FWIW) that can tell if you have done proper alignment/ antiskating.

Finally mustered up some courage to open the housing. Nothing happened after opening the 2 nuts on the sides. But as soon as I opened the 2 small screws which is holding down a circular plate, the plate unwound about 2 turns and the spring was fully relaxed. Re- assembled everything and viola, we were back in business. Adjusted the counterweight and got good SQ with about 2 & 2 setting on tracking and skate.

Wonder how Rega assembled it as such in the first place. Anyways all is well now.

Should try further fine tuning with headphones. Thanks to all. Stay safe. Mods pls close this thread.

Pls fwd the link for the scale you ordered. Thanks.

Pls fwd the link for the scale you ordered. Thanks.
Order for my scale got cancelled and I have ordered from a Chinese supplier. This may attract custom duty and other charges. Also need to upload Aadhar card. Shipping lead time is 3 to 4 weeks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back