Settings for the Yamaha RX-V3900

vemind

Thanks to this forum, I have finally taken the leap of faith and plonked a lot of $$ on the Yamaha RX-V3900 (got a good deal in Dubai) and on Focal JMLab Dome 5.1 speakers. Now, the setup includes:
Yamaha AV Receiver
Focal Dome 5.1 speakers
Samsung 1080PK DVD Player
PS3
Tatasky STB (not the plus)
1TB Hard Disk with AVI files, MP3s and JPEGs

While I wait for the receiver to arrive next week (this is tough!), I am saddled with queries;
1. What is the best way to connect the various components? Each component provides various options, and I can go out and pick up some cables to do whatever is required.

2. Any advice on sequence of steps to set up the receiver? What to do first, and what to do later? and importantly, what NOT to do?

3. Are there any user experiences on the forum or any other site which narrate actual user experience of setitng up the receiver?

Thanks all; and I hope to share my experience with members @ hifivision.

vemind

Hi!!

You have asked a very broad Question. Will try to help you.

Connect the DVD player and PS3 to the receiver using HDMI cable.
Connect your 1TB hDD to the PS3. Install TVersity on the external HDD and use it as a media centre. Google TVersity for download link. It ofcourse is free.
Connect the speakers to the appropriate points on the back of the receiver.
Connect the TATA SKY to the receiver using RC leads.
You have not mentioned any details about your TV/projector. Connect your receiver to the TV/Projector using HDMI (Assuming it has one).

I must say that Yam 3900 will be an overkill for the Focals. But, since you got a gr8 deal it is awesome. may I ask for how much did you get the 3900 and how are you getting it to India?

Sumit

Thanks to this forum, I have finally taken the leap of faith and plonked a lot of $$ on the Yamaha RX-V3900 (got a good deal in Dubai) and on Focal JMLab Dome 5.1 speakers. Now, the setup includes:
Yamaha AV Receiver
Focal Dome 5.1 speakers
Samsung 1080PK DVD Player
PS3
Tatasky STB (not the plus)
1TB Hard Disk with AVI files, MP3s and JPEGs

While I wait for the receiver to arrive next week (this is tough!), I am saddled with queries;
1. What is the best way to connect the various components? Each component provides various options, and I can go out and pick up some cables to do whatever is required.

2. Any advice on sequence of steps to set up the receiver? What to do first, and what to do later? and importantly, what NOT to do?

3. Are there any user experiences on the forum or any other site which narrate actual user experience of setitng up the receiver?

Thanks all; and I hope to share my experience with members @ hifivision.

vemind

There is a detailed posting on AVR Connectvity at http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity-post22708.html#post22708. Understand the speaker connections well, particularly the difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

The 3900 is a very powerful unit, and I will be surprised if you use a major portion of its capabilities.

It has the best audio and video processing amongst all your equipment. It uses Burr Brown DACs for audio, and VRS Video Processing for video. I would suggest you allow the 3900 to process both audio and video signals. Send the video from your DVD player and PS3 unprocessed. Use digital connectivity only between these units and the 3900. This will be HDMI, Coxaial, or optical.

The first thing you must not do is to unpack and hurriedly set up the system. Secondly remember, you will make mistakes and the system may sound bad or behave abnormally. For example, if you don't set the DVD Player to send data in Raw or Bitstream format, the 3900 will not deliver pure 5.1 or 7.1. It will rather repeat 2.0 channel across all speakers. Some improper setting may leave you with a blank TV screen. There are a number of such issues that you need to recognise and understand.

Most important - DON'T PANIC if something strange happens. Remember you can always reset the AVR to factory settings and restart. Nothing is lost.

First order of the day is to be patient with yourself. Open the carton, leave the AVR inside, and remove just the manual. Read it from front to back cover not leaving a single page. Take some notes.

Connect the AVR using a stabiliser. Do not connect directly to a wall socket. Follow the instructions about setting up given in the manual. Yamaha has an auto set up process called YPAO. Use this to set up the speakers for you AVR. Again remember, these auto set up process may not always work correctly. Note down the specifications of the auto settings, and be ready to manually tune each speaker setting.,

Be a little adventurous. Try settings beyond what is specified to see what happens. For example, if the sub woofer cross over is specified as 80Hz, experiment with 60 to 100Hz, and see if you like the sound.

When I set up the Onlyo 875 I made a large number of mistakes and kept resetting the AVR. But today I know how it works and behaves. My advise given above is based on my personal experience. As you start using the 3900, we can boil down to more specific issues and resolve them.

Cheers

Connect the AVR using a stabiliser. Do not connect directly to a wall socket. Follow the instructions about setting up given in the manual.

Cheers

Venkatcr; thanks for your inputs.

1. Can an Online UPS be a better alternative to the stabilizer? I have a 3 KVA UPS, which seems powerful enough to take care of the load of all the digital equipment. Thanks.

2. Given a choice, what would you recommend to be the best wiring (optical or co-axial) to connect the sub-woofer?

Patience seems to be the key; but I wonder if I will be ok, with allt he excitement around me!

Thanks!

1. Can an Online UPS be a better alternative to the stabilizer? I have a 3 KVA UPS, which seems powerful enough to take care of the load of all the digital equipment. Thanks.

Though the capacity of the UPS is OK, is it a pure sine wave UPS? If not, it is better to use a stabiliser. There are a number of discussion on this across the forum, and Suhas has explained many times on the dangers of using a non-pure sine wave UPS on AV Equipment.

2. Given a choice, what would you recommend to be the best wiring (optical or co-axial) to connect the sub-woofer?

As far as I know, sub woofers have only coaxial digital connection. But if your sub has both, it really does not make too much difference. Bith optical and a good quality coaxial digital cable will perform equally well.

Patience seems to be the key; but I wonder if I will be ok, with allt he excitement around me!

That is exactly what happened to me. When I came home with the AVR, my son just tore into the package, and spread everything around the floor. We both spent a few hours connecting everything. Everything worked well, excepting the HDMI connection. That took me over 60 days to correct, but that is another story. My son monopolised the system for a few days till he went back to work. I then shut the system down, took the manual out and read it like a novel. There were some technologies I could not understand then (such as Bitstream/PCM) and I surfed the Net to get detailed explanation. I then re-installed the system again, and it worked perfectly.

I am doing a much better installation of a Yamaha 663 at my home as a test for my friend. I am more organised and I am avoiding a lot of stupid errors I made while installing my own Onkyo.

A word of caution. If you are going to use an optical connection, please remember that the sockets in the AVR, DVD Player or any other device will have a plug covering the optical socket. Please keep this plug safe. The sockets have always to be covered so that no dust gets inside. If you remove the optical cable for some reason, cover the sockets immediately with the plugs.

Keep in touch, and I am sure we can all help you make a perfect installation.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back