Setup query

anandg

HI All,
My friend has following setup:
1) LG LCD 42" with -- one "IN" HDMI port and one SPDIF "out" port
2) Sony HT with -- one "out" HDMI port and one SPDIF "in port"

Now this is how they are connected:
1) HDMI out from sony to HDMI in of TV for movie viewing
2) SPDIF out from TV to sony HT for sound from TV (which is directly connected to tatasky settop box via RCA).

Now issue is :
1) No 5.1 channel sound while playing movies via usb connected to TV
2) No 5.1 sound when a new tatasky with 5.1 channel connected to TV (remember only TV has HDMI in and not Sony HT). sound only comes via 2.1 channel.

Please assist to let me know the reason or solution for this setup.

Thanks
anand

You should connect all your sources to the Sony HT and have a single HDMI out going to the TV. When you use an analog connection such as component or component, you will not get 5.1.

Connect your set top box to the HT, using a digital cable such as co-axial or optical. If your set top box does not have a digital out, I am afraid you will not get 5.1.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
Thats the issue. I can only connect tatasky settop box(old one) to sony HT via RCA (red yellow and white) cables as there is no other o/p source from STB.

However in new tatasky box he brought, it has RCA (same as HT), spdif out and HDMI out (both of which are not present in HT). So i am left with no other option but to either connect RCA to RCA of HT or HDMI out of new STB to HDMI in of TV.

Kindly assist further.

anand

You get HDMI splitters which allow multiple HDMI input sources that are selectable, and which are connected to a single output device like a display

Thanks George,
But this raises another issue. Even if I get these splitters and connect STB to TV, how would I get a 5.1 sound? Do you think the SPDIF cable connected from TV (out) to HT (in) would give 5.1 sound from HT?

if you are talking about tatasky Hd box, it only gives dolby 5.1 through spdif not through hdmi, so you can connect, ts hd hdmi directly to tv, keep tv speaker volume zero or in menu select external speaker( if that option exists) and connect spdif out of ts hd box to HT to get dolby 5.1. HDMI only for video in this setup

if you connect tv spdif out to ht spdif in after connceting ts hd hdmi out to tv hdmi in, because no dolby through hdmi, still wont get it until ts hd guys get rid of this bug

Last edited:
Oh. in your first post it says one "spdif in" i assumed it was spdif coaxial , so you got only optical, then need something like this( costly solution)

Digital Coaxial to Optical Toslink Audio Converter | eBay
for your TS box as there is no optical out in TShd,

I am not sure about this but may be TS Hd plus(dvr) has optical out and may be it gives dolby out in optical. please check with TS or any body who owns ts plus box

Hi guys I have similar query . I have a TATA Sky HD box (which has a coaxial digital out) i want to connect it to a cheap Creative 5.1 speakers ( since i am a Newbie) . Can you tell me the cheapest way to do that . I want to get dolby out for sure

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back