Setup under Rs. 1 lakh. Wharfedale 10.4s or something different?

udaipawar

Hi,

Am quite new to all this in terms of having stuff at home, but have done sound mixing in college shows and all for a few years, so have some basic idea of sound, just was never able to get a good system. But still am new to this whole space.

Now I have a budget of around 1 lakh, perhaps plus minus something, and I want to get a good 5.1 sound system.

Usage will mostly be TV the way things happen in my house, but movies and music are important. If its a toss up, i'd prefer for higher quality in music rather than movies. In music, western I love old 60s-70s blues and in contemporary stuff things like bossa nova and variety of rock. Plus I listen to a lot of Hindi film music.

So far checked out 5.1 setups based on

Jamo s606,
Wharfedales Diamond 10.6,
Diamond 10.4,
Vardus,
one other wharfedale,
one Onkyo (all floorstanding so far)
some small speaker harmon kardons,

at "the shop" in Mumbai. The Diamond 10.4 really stood out because of the bass and low-low-mids, which i really liked, although the Jamo was close too, and i liked the Jamo in the mid-highs too, but overall the Wharfedale appealed more (plus the look is great too ;-) 10.6 was good too, but that setup is 50,000 or so more than this.

Now of course, I dont want to rush into this, so thought I should research more. I'd be really grateful if you could recommend any alternate setups. I have no clue for companies, so don't know where to start.

Ideally something I could get in the same price range (including amp - the above setup is 107k actually, 75k for the speakers and 32k for the DENON AVR 1611 amp the guy recommended, which seems to have gotten good reviews online wherever I read).

Ideally it would be great if you could recommend things I can get in Mumbai, and I'd be really grateful if you could recommend places too.

thanks so much!

Udai

Last edited:
if in the toss up music wins then forget about the surround sound set up and go for a 2 channel. you'll have MUCH BETTER sound quality. and at that budget i would suggest a good pair of bookshelves over a lower quality floorstanders. check out the monitor audio rx2 silver series and pair it with a good amp - the likes of nad, cambridge, marantz...

Get a Marantz NR1501 or 5004 for 30-35k

If you want movies only go for Q Acoustics

Otherwise go for Wharf 9.5 + 9.2 + 150

If you want only music, then go for Monitor Audio RX2 or above with a stereo receiver

Hi,

Am quite new to all this in terms of having stuff at home, but have done sound mixing in college shows and all for a few years, so have some basic idea of sound, just was never able to get a good system. But still am new to this whole space.

Now I have a budget of around 1 lakh, perhaps plus minus something, and I want to get a good 5.1 sound system.

Usage will mostly be TV the way things happen in my house, but movies and music are important. If its a toss up, i'd prefer for higher quality in music rather than movies. In music, western I love old 60s-70s blues and in contemporary stuff things like bossa nova and variety of rock. Plus I listen to a lot of Hindi film music.

So far checked out 5.1 setups based on

Jamo s606,
Wharfedales Diamond 10.6,
Diamond 10.4,
Vardus,
one other wharfedale,
one Onkyo (all floorstanding so far)
some small speaker harmon kardons,

at "the shop" in Mumbai. The Diamond 10.4 really stood out because of the bass and low-low-mids, which i really liked, although the Jamo was close too, and i liked the Jamo in the mid-highs too, but overall the Wharfedale appealed more (plus the look is great too ;-) 10.6 was good too, but that setup is 50,000 or so more than this.

Now of course, I dont want to rush into this, so thought I should research more. I'd be really grateful if you could recommend any alternate setups. I have no clue for companies, so don't know where to start.

Ideally something I could get in the same price range (including amp - the above setup is 107k actually, 75k for the speakers and 32k for the DENON AVR 1611 amp the guy recommended, which seems to have gotten good reviews online wherever I read).

Ideally it would be great if you could recommend things I can get in Mumbai, and I'd be really grateful if you could recommend places too.

thanks so much!

Udai

Hi Uday

you can check out the new M series of moniter audio with a suitable Denon Avr 1611 this will suite your budget.

Homiyar

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back