Share your OSQ ("OLD SCHOOL QUOTIENT") inputs

I still miss Bhutanese Orange scotch. 30 or 40 rupees a bottle, dipped in Karola river (between college and tea garden) and sipped with Bidi and anything fried.
Missing those halfpant and banyan nights on the terrace in a full moon night to see Kanchenjungha. Bidi was a constant companion.

I still think bidi is better than cigarette. Bhutanese scotch is more romantic than old monk rum.
I can not rely on Gillette, it is so much more than what I need.

1. Andy Capp.
2. '007-1/2 Licensed to Laugh' in Junior Statesman.
3. Garth comics in Hindustan Times.
4. Modesty Blaise comics (though I managed to get a large part of it now).
5. Buying comics for 2 Rs each in Shankar market.
6. Binaca Geet Mala.
7. The voice of Melville De Mellow. 'This is All India Radio, the News Read By Melville de Mellow" I can never forget the husky voice with precise pronunciation of every word.
8. I forget the name, but the guy who use to advertise for Park Avenue ties.
9. Though I never smoked - 'Live Life King Size'.
10. DTC University Special bus ride every day. Hanging on the footboard and snatching a 'ganna', or a coke bottle from a truck.
11. Travelling on top of trains in Rajasthan with smoke from the steam engine blackening your face.
12. Travelling without tickets in train, mostly near the toilets.
13. Sweet talking the engine driver of GT Express to let me ride between stations in the then new diesel engines.
14. Getting down and tasting snacks in every station between Delhi and Bombay, Calcutta, Kanpur, Lucknow, and Madras. I usually ended up dirtier than a ruffian by the time I reached the destination.
15. Sharing covert glances with girls on trains, and hearing your heart beat faster when you sighted some beautiful girl.
16. Eating a double egg masala omelette with stale but crispy toast with butter dripping from your lips.
17. The smell and taste of freshly made butter with aaloo paratha at 0600 hours in Karnal.
18. Having thick rotis with just onion and achar in langars.
19. The taste of a tin of ghee that you used in hostel to have rotis with.
20. The taste of bread pakodas as breakfast once a week in your hostel.
21. The wonderful taste of Chole Bhatura from Chacha di Hatti in Model Town. Thankfully he yet maintains the same taste.
22. The taste of the lips of the first girl you kissed. Your hands shaking as you tried to hold her or touch her.
23. Watching 'Anand' on the first day first show in Golcha.
24. Sneaking Saturdays to CP to watch Shammi Kapoor in 'Love in Tokyo'.
25. Buying a chilled bottle of coke for 25 paise near Birla Mandir.

Cheers

Last edited:
4. Modesty Blaise comics (though I managed to get a large part of it now).

:) Please tell me I was not the only one with a crush on Modesty :p

5. Buying comics for 2 Rs each in Shankar market.
Right next to Kendriya Bhandar...isn't it? I also had a secret source in Jor Bagh market selling me MAD at Rs.5 and MAD Specials at Rs.10 :eek:hyeah:

17. The smell and taste of freshly made butter with aaloo paratha at 0600 hours in Karnal.

te ne Karnal ki yaad dila di tau! Ever went to the NDRI Milk Parlour there?

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

:) Please tell me I was not the only one with a crush on Modesty :p

I am one of her lifelong admirers. My feelings for her were a confused mix of admiration, lust, and mad romance. I will be her fan till I die.

As I said I managed to get most of the comics - some bought in the US, and some from Odyssey in Chennai. These comics are re-released by Titan Books.

Right next to Kendriya Bhandar...isn't it? I also had a secret source in Jor Bagh market selling me MAD at Rs.5 and MAD Specials at Rs.10 :eek:hyeah:

Yes. We also used to have a Super Market opposite. I am not sure if it exists any more. I found Jor Bagh expensive those days. I never had more that 5 bucks in my pocket!!

te ne Karnal ki yaad dila di tau! Ever went to the NDRI Milk Parlour there?

Ha Ha. That was the idea, no? I have been to NDRI many times but never bought anything there. My friend (a true blood Sardar) had some 100 cows of his own, and we were never short of milk!! Both the milk and butter were always freeeessshhhhh! I used to drive a bloody tractor those days hauling milk cans and other stuff to the market. I also drove a truck without license from Karnal to Chandigarh and back!!!!

Cheers

1. Listening to Sony Walkman for the first time and getting bowled over by the sound
2. Fast forwarding the cassettes using a pencil to save the batteries in the Walkman.
3. Buying cassettes with pocket money. Occasionally buying English albums costing 60 bucks!! :clapping:
4. Starting up Dad's Fiat car with a screw driver :yahoo:
5. Original taste of Maggi :p
6. Joining Maggi fan club by posting 5 maggi logos.78. Exchanging comics with the neighborhood kids (Huge fan of Raj comics - Super commando Dhruv)
8. Goldspot
9. Watching He-Man (The master of university :eek:hyeah:) on Sundays.
10. Having booze on the top of the college hostel water tank :rolleyes:
11. Patrol for Rs 14/-

OST

1. I still use a fountain pen (sheaffer) and just cannot use a ball point, micro tips, etc
2. I still think there is no Indian movie like Pyaasa
3. Most of my music is still remains on cassettes.
4. I never found anything great in Amitabh Bachan's acting. Dev Anand, Nasrudhin Shah, Rajesh Khanna were far better.
5. Waheeda Rehman was far better looking than Aishwarya
6. I still program in C
7. Love Asterix and Tin Tin
8. I miss commando comics, Flash Gordon, Rin Tin Tin, Phantom, Mandrake, Chanda Mama
9. No book comes close to Crime and Punishment, The ways of all flesh, Of Human Bondage, The Vikar of Wakefield
10. Tora Tora Tora is far better movie than The attack on Pearl Harbour.
11. The Schaum's Outline Series were the best (unofficial) text books for engineering.
12. Maggi Masala is a boon to mankind
13. The Star Trek series was lovely.
14. Wonder if Chiclets is available?
chiclets_hi_res1.jpg

New School Thoughts

1. If you have driven a diesel powered SUV, you can never drive a car again
2. Electronics, Computers have changed the world
3. All bills are paid online. NEFT, RTGS is a wonderful invention. My cheque book is mostly unused
4. Microsoft is junk. Can't imagine how people can tolerate shoddy products. One should use Apple products or Linux and Open Source.
5. Just do not have the ears or a mind to appreciate Indian Classical (both Hindustani and Carnatic)
6. Women are not technically / mathematically (brainy) gifted like men. Men are better engineers, scientists, original inventors. Most women cannot even differentiate between a Maruti Esteem and a Fiat Linea and similarly between a Sony two-in-one and a Proper Hi-Fi system that we men folk desire.
7. No God, Religion, Language, Pooja, Culture for me or anything that restricts you to live a full life and cannot give you a rational or scientific answer. As long as you do not do any wrong, it should be ok.
many more but they can be controversial

Last edited:
^ Fundoo ........ agree to mostly all, except the Indian classical thing.
Awaiting your pen-down of the controversial ones! :D

""No God, Religion, Language, Pooja, Culture for me or anything that restricts you to live a full life and cannot give you a rational or scientific answer. As long as you do not do any wrong, it should be ok.""

Abso true .... had a pretty hard time during my formative years since one of my guardians was hell bent on pushing the exact opposite to abide by! So, even the slightest hint of anything cropping up NOW (except 'culture', the way I mean it) gets shot down at sight, point blank! This causes tremendous pressures for my family, pity them. All said and done, a lotta things get decided peacefully, if handled diplomatically. Not in my case ..... childhood to blame, I guess! .... heheh

Last edited:
19. The taste of a tin of ghee that you used in hostel to have rotis with.
20. The taste of bread pakodas as breakfast once a week in your hostel.
21. The wonderful taste of Chole Bhatura from Chacha di Hatti in Model Town. Thankfully he yet maintains the same taste.
22. The taste of the lips of the first girl you kissed. Your hands shaking as you tried to hold her or touch her.

You are a man of good tastes. Wondering how you have missed out the taste of the first whisky in college, the first puff of cigarettes and other forbidden stuff :D

I still use a debit card. Never got a credit card.
I prefer to pay everything offline: Telephone bill, electricity bill, property tax, everthing.
I still stand in the queue and buy train bus tickets (though my father books everything online).
I still wear a yellow color Lee (probably fake not sure) that I bought about 15 years back.
I always had a Black and White phone. But use a psedo smart phone (it is a smart phone but I don't use any of the features). I will be going back to one.
I miss He Man, Duck Tales and Tailspin
I miss TRUE wimbeldon.
I miss Steffi Graf v/s Gabriela Sabatini v/s Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
I miss Boris Becker, John Mcenroe
Want to resee Oshin, Stone Boy, Kshitij Ke liye Serials
Maggi 2 minutes noodles toy sent by post after sending them 5 cutouts of the 2 minute logo.
Irving Wallace's Novel Second Lady. My introduction to ahem...

You are a man of good tastes. Wondering how you have missed out the taste of the first whisky in college, the first puff of cigarettes and other forbidden stuff :D

I did taste menthol cigarettes, mandrake, and whisky in college. Never liked it at all, so kept away from it. I also tried bhang a few times, and again did not develop a liking.

The others, particularly one on my list, were far moooore attractive, and repeatable!!:)

Cheers

6. Women are not technically / mathematically (brainy) gifted like men. Men are better engineers, scientists, original inventors. Most women cannot even differentiate between a Maruti Esteem and a Fiat Linea and similarly between a Sony two-in-one and a Proper Hi-Fi system that we men folk desire.

I think even this statement is verrrry controversial. Being interested in technical stuff is not a gift, but a way of thinking that is different between men and women. At the same time, don't forget people like Marie Curie, Maria Goeppert-Mayer, Grace Hopper who invented COBOL, and our own Tessy Thomas.

For women, your 2-in-one's and HiFi systems are as irrelevant as their ear rings are to you. For women, a car is just a transport mechanism to get you from one place to another. Nothing more. They fret over their own set of products and services - food, clothing, accessories, jewellery, children, happiness, peace.....

Women are not as competitive and do not push to get recognition. For them achieving something is enough, and they are happy to let others take credit. The list of women who have been engineers, scientists, and original inventors is quite long.

Would you like it if I say men are not gifted like women to produce offspring? For generations men have thought it is their birth right to subjugate women. There is hardly any difference between us and the neanderthal men who dragged their women around by their hair. We do it even today.

It makes me want to puke and smash a few people when I read about how a husband keeps his wife in a cowshed and repeatedly gets her raped by his friends and even passerby's. We must start respecting women. Believe me, for all the trouble we have given them, if the roles had been reversed, there will not be a single man alive today.

If you don't respect, appreciate, and protect your womenfolk, you have no right to live with them or expect anything from them.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think even this statement is verrrry controversial. Being interested in technical stuff is not a gift, but a way of thinking that is different between men and women. At the same time, don't forget people like Marie Curie, Maria Goeppert-Mayer, Grace Hopper who invented COBOL, and our own Tessy Thomas.
Yes it is controversial if not taken in the right spirit. Economist Lawrence Summers was forced to resign after saying men are better than women at certain jobs.
I say women are from venus and men from mars without disrespect. Biologically men and women are different. The heart is different and the brain is different. The hormones are different. Even the hormones Testosterone and Estrogen have very different effects.

Men are better technically. Even while raising kids, you will notice how boys love to break toys and look at what is inside. Women are better at storing words, objects, etc and that is what makes them better at languages, command over vocabulary. This command over language makes women better managers than men. Girls mature faster than boys. Boys are better with abstract and unreal things and that helps them to keep on thinking of something which no one has thought before. Both are different and that is how nature is even with other living things.

There always be exceptions like Marie Curie, Ada Augusta Byron, Clarence Zener (who discovered the zener effect), etc.

No one is disputing that women are equal to men when we sum up all the traits of men and women. No one disputes that men are more aggressive due to testosterone. Most men learn to control their aggression with their mind and because of right upbringing and also the realization of what is right and what is wrong.

"Boys and girls may start out with the same IQ but by 16 or so boys are starting to inch ahead. The ever-growing success of girls at school board, medicine and now at university would seem to refute this - but the blame lies with our exam system, with its emphasis on coursework, which rewards diligence more than it does intelligence.

The undeniable, easily measurable fact remains that, by the time both sexes reach 21, men, on average, score five IQ points higher than women."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...en-says-scientist-Professor-Richard-Lynn.html

Last edited:
The undeniable, easily measurable fact remains that, by the time both sexes reach 21, men, on average, score five IQ points higher than women."

Men ARE more brainy than women, says scientist Professor Richard Lynn | Mail Online

I agree with most of what you say, but I will agree to disagree on this. I have met many women who are far more intelligent than any man I have every known. And they have shown their mettle in every field. They just don't like to brag or show off. I have had extremely brainy discussions on IT, Physics, and Engineering with women, and I find that more simulating than any discussion you have with men. After a little while, men start to become stubborn and adamant, while I find women to be more amenable and ready to find fault with their own theories. Just to give you an idea about the topics, I am talking about radio physics, fourier transforms, bouncing of radio waves, travel time between the earth and the moon, and developing algorithms to calculate the time and position of a hole in a radar for an attack aircraft to sneak through.

In a way, I think the whole market is biased towards men as a majority of the rule makers are men. In addition, men being more aggressive, women, after a little while, find the whole competition/fight or whatever meaningless and walk away.

And of course, as you say, they are built differently.

In terms of the Indian education system, men are getting beaten hollow. Whatever you say, it is the same field for both men and women. Let us be broad-hearted enough to accept that they have beaten us.:):)

Cheers

For women, your 2-in-one's and HiFi systems are as irrelevant as their ear rings are to you. For women, a car is just a transport mechanism to get you from one place to another. Nothing more. They fret over their own set of products and services - food, clothing, accessories, jewellery, children, happiness, peace.....

Women are not as competitive and do not push to get recognition. For them achieving something is enough, and they are happy to let others take credit. The list of women who have been engineers, scientists, and original inventors is quite long.

Would you like it if I say men are not gifted like women to produce offspring? For generations men have thought it is their birth right to subjugate women. There is hardly any difference between us and the neanderthal men who dragged their women around by their hair. We do it even today.

It makes me want to puke and smash a few people when I read about how a husband keeps his wife in a cowshed and repeatedly gets her raped by his friends and even passerby's. We must start respecting women. Believe me, for all the trouble we have given them, if the roles had been reversed, there will not be a single man alive today.

If you don't respect, appreciate, and protect your womenfolk, you have no right to live with them or expect anything from them.

Cheers

Yes it is controversial if not taken in the right spirit. Economist Lawrence Summers was forced to resign after saying men are better than women at certain jobs.
I say women are from venus and men from mars without disrespect. Biologically men and women are different. The heart is different and the brain is different. The hormones are different. Even the hormones Testosterone and Estrogen have very different effects.

Men are better technically. Even while raising kids, you will notice how boys love to break toys and look at what is inside. Women are better at storing words, objects, etc and that is what makes them better at languages, command over vocabulary. This command over language makes women better managers than men. Girls mature faster than boys. Boys are better with abstract and unreal things and that helps them to keep on thinking of something which no one has thought before. Both are different and that is how nature is even with other living things.

There always be exceptions like Marie Curie, Ada Augusta Byron, Clarence Zener (who discovered the zener effect), etc.

No one is disputing that women are equal to men when we sum up all the traits of men and women. No one disputes that men are more aggressive due to testosterone. Most men learn to control their aggression with their mind and because of right upbringing and also the realization of what is right and what is wrong.

"Boys and girls may start out with the same IQ but by 16 or so boys are starting to inch ahead. The ever-growing success of girls at school board, medicine and now at university would seem to refute this - but the blame lies with our exam system, with its emphasis on coursework, which rewards diligence more than it does intelligence.

Men ARE more brainy than women, says scientist Professor Richard Lynn | Mail Online

Well, I say chaps, there is no such thing as gender superiority.

However one thing I can say for sure is, that Chivalry is definitely a trait thats more old-school than new, Right?

After all, old school stuff is what this thread is all about, No?

I have a she-pal who, in school, once asked me to tell her ONE thing that men can do and women can't.
I smartly (at least, I thought so, then) said that women couldn't piss on a wall to which she immediately replied,
"Thats not true, Women CAN, indeed, do that. Just that they cant write their names like guys can."
I was like :eek::indifferent14::):lol: , thats something I had never thought of.

Come to think of it, guys
Given a choice that, regardless of gender,
one could either write on the wall
or
be multi-orgasmic,
I would go for the latter, every time:licklips::rolleyes::cool:

Is that old-school or new, huh?
Enough said, I guess. ;)

Cheerio, All

Last edited:
I have a she-pal who in school, once asked me to tell her ONE thing that men can do and women can't.

See the way your head is screwed? You just cannot say 'pal', but have to say 'she-pal'!! I am sure a person reading through the message will conjecture the sex of the subject by himself or herself. We cannot think of a girl/woman as a friend. It is either a girl-friend or a woman-friend. Men are from Mars, and women from Venus.

'Piss on a wall'? Come on Trittya. You could have thought of a 150 better things to compete on, or did you have some other intention in your mind? :)

Cheers

Last edited:
See the way your head is screwed? You just cannot 'pal', but have to say 'she-pal'!! I am sure a person reading through the message will conjecture the sex of the subject by himself or herself. We cannot think of a girl/woman as a friend. It is either a girl-friend or a woman-friend. Men are from Mars, and women from Venus.

Hmmmmmm . . . .
Well, yeah, ok, but the point that I was trying to make is that the person, per se, matters more than the gender. BTW, But dont the girls use the term "boyfriend", too??:yahoo::cool:

'Piss on a wall'? Come on Trittya. You could have thought of a 150 better things to compete on. :)

Cheers

:lol: I guess I was young and unlearned/uninitiated, then . . . eh, Venkat Bhai !!??:D

Cheerio

Last edited:
Well, yeah, ok, but the point that I was trying to make is that the person, per se, matters more than the gender. BTW, But dont the girls use the term "boyfriend", too??

I have a lot of fun when talking to men saying, 'this friend said this', 'this colleague did this'. After a few minutes of conversation I will quietly slip in a 'she' or a 'her', and you should see the expression on the men's faces. They will go 'ohhhh, you mean your friend is a woman?'.

Frankly that is how far we are separated though we live in the same planet, and eat the same food.

I must check with my friends and relatives what they call their 'men/buy' friends. If I am not wrong, for girls, a BF is one with whom she is having a romantic relationship. The rest are just friends. I could be wrong.

Cheers

Nice thread Trittya. I enjoyed reading all the posts. I have lived in Bangalore all my life, so many references are to Bangalore. I hope people from other cities are able to relate. I used to love but now miss:
1) Double Decker buses in Bangalore
2) Chilly Ole Bangalore. It does get that cold even in peak winter nowadays.
3) Flying kites, playing marbles, spinning a top, gilli-danda. I feel sad for the current generation kids who don't know how much they are missing playing computer games.
4) Playing Eye Spy (Hide and Seek) on the street and a variation of it called Dubba. All the kids in the street would come out of their homes automatically to play when there was a power cut as playing in the dark was more fun
4) Playing on the street without the fear of being hit by a passing car or bike
5) Watching Cricket and other sports without worrying about Match-fixing
6) the times when Doordarshan was the only channel - programs like Nukkad, Hum Log, Neev, Fauj, Chitrahaar, Rangoli, one kannada movie every Saturday, one award-winning movie (from any Indian Language) & one Hindi movie every Sunday
7) Dhabbas on Bellary Road where we used to ride from college, carry our own liquor, eat like a king at affordable prices.
8) NASA Pub & Purple Haze (now Jimi's) the way they used to be. The laser show every hour on the hour at Nasa was to die far
9) When people were kind-hearted, when we did not having to run against time all the time and when people were largely contented with their lifestyle
10) Saving up money to buy TDK AD-60 cassettes and get assorted playlist recorded at either Rythms on St.Marks Road or Shankar's Disc Library in Malleshwaram.
11) Niligiris Apple Cake
12) RedOxide floors in houses
13) Luxurious rear seat of Ambassador cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back