Should I buy a DAC?

avink

Most of the music I listen to is stored in digital format(FLAC/320mp3). My chain - PC >> Xtreamer Pro >> Denon1610 >> Wharf (9.2,9cs,sw150,jbl c1).

I am thinking of adding a DAC to my setup. I will be visiting US soon so I intend to pickup DAC from there. My budget is around $200.

Couple of Q:

1. Given my current setup, would DAC give me any noticeable enhancement
2. Any suggestions for DAC that i should pickup from USA(~ $200).

_Tnx

The DAC will certainly make a difference. Your chain should be

PC to DAC to Analog In of Denon 1610.

Cheers

Last edited:
JFYI..

I have heard rave reviews of the Beresford Cayman DAC.. Please give it a look as well..

I have all my collection as flac and high bit rate mp3 as yours. A DAC will certainly help however a dedicated stereo amp will be a great addon.

USB has some limitations however my laptop has a optical digital out which is great. There are some good DACs from arcam, Cambridge audio, asus and some good Chinese ones too.

Couple of things..

$200 DAC will not improve on your setup much.
A non up-converting (to 192 khz) DAC will not help with mp3. Flac will be good.

Get a Yamamoto USB DAC, it will make a big difference to your set-up. In Japan it sells for around Rs 17k, I think. Google Yamamoto DAC.

Do not buy a DAC now.
Enjoy your music with your present setup and then buy a good DAC at a later stage with a higher budget.

avink,

If you are using the pc's onboard sound card, chances are that even an entry level dac will give you a significant improvement in quality.( I witnessed something similar when using a nuforce udac instead of my laptop/pc's analog outs).
You can look at the HRT Music Streamer 2, Audio engine D1, Nuforce Udac 2 etc in your budget.

iaudio

how have you connected your xtreamer pro to denon? HDMI comes to my mind. So this should be ok - you won't need a dac in that price range. Try borrowing from someone and see if you can notice a difference.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back